Container Herb Gardening in TV

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2015, 03:48 PM
Sage
Default Container Herb Gardening in TV

I recently returned from NY visiting my brother. He lives in an agricultural area and has an herb garden. It was great to just go out back to grab some herbs for cooking or making mixed drinks. That's what I want.

I've been doing a little reading and research and I think I want to start a container garden. Is anyone doing that? Is there a club for container gardening?
Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

I would suggest you look into EarthBox.
At the bottom of the Earthbox dot Com page you will find a link to the EarthBox Forum which is loaded with very helpful folks.
The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-31-2015, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
At the bottom of the Earthbox dot Com page you will find a link to the EarthBox Forum which is loaded with very helpful folks.
The Villages Florida
Thank-you
Are you a container gardener?
Old 07-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Veteran member

I have planted several herbs and they are doing fine. I get partial sun in one courner of my lanai.

I put basil in my cup of water and love the new twist it adds to drinking water.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Thank-you
Are you a container gardener?
Yeah, but me and my boxes are mostly into tomatoes and cucumbers.
Herbs....not so much.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-31-2015, 09:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Growing herbs in a Earthbox sounds like a great idea!
Old 07-31-2015, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I grow basil, rosemary, and Italian parsley in pots on my east-facing lanai. They like it there, especially in the summer when they would fry in all-day sun and heat. I have container-gardened for 20 years. Mostly flowers and small stuff like arugula, radishes, and the herbs just mentioned. My FIL grew wonderful tomatoes in containers in western PA.

I grow milkweed in pots, and when the butterflies lay eggs on them, I bring them into the lanai where they are safe from insect predators. We have hatched and released quite a few monarchs. Outside I grow flowers that butterflies like for nectar in groups in containers.

I find I have more success container gardening than growing things in the ground.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have basil, sage, thyme, chives, dill, marjoram, and mint all in containers. And I have three rosemary bushes that are about 3 feet around and 3 feet high. I just trimmed them and had half a yard bag full of rosemary that I had to toss.

Rosemary makes great shrubs and survives the winters here fine. I started these from a 6 inch single sprig plant.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I have four earth boxes up north each one contains a tomato plant a cucumber plant and then I fill in with herbs. Just make sure that you control mint if you decide to plant it because you'll have it everywhere if it's not in a container
Old 08-01-2015, 09:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have basil, sage, thyme, chives, dill, marjoram, and mint all in containers. And I have three rosemary bushes that are about 3 feet around and 3 feet high. I just trimmed them and had half a yard bag full of rosemary that I had to toss.

Rosemary makes great shrubs and survives the winters here fine. I started these from a 6 inch single sprig plant.
I think you have just the combination I'm looking for. I want 4 times as much basil as the others.

My lanai faces east.

I was looking at the prices at 1000bulbs.com, lowes and home depot. What size pot should I buy? I want to make wooden crates to hold the pots in a row. Next I'll build shelves/tables to hold the crates.

Where should I get my plants?

Is the soil mix the same for each plant?

About 6 months ago I was paired up with an organic farmer from New Hampshire. He has a you pick it farm and winters here. He told me he found an organic farmer at the saturday market at Brownwood that he was buying plants from.

thank-you
Old 08-01-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
The Villages Florida
I'm looking at the forum as you advised. Take a look at this clever seed PVC starter. pvc seed starter
Closed Thread

Tags
container, garden, herb, gardening, cooking, drinks, making, mixed, club, reading, research, start, brother, lives, visiting, recently, returned, agricultural, area, back, grab, great, herbs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.