Converting grass to stone

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Default Converting grass to stone

Hi Folks,

Just closed on a CV and we're very excited to eventually move down. But first, we need to rent and I'm trying to simplify the long distance chores; hence one of the reasons we bought a CV.

The previous owner had about a 4' x 30' run of grass along the side of the Villa and we want ot convert it to stone to eliminate one more chore (lawn mowing) and continual cost.

Has anyone done this before? Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, reasonably priced landscaper?

Thx!
Old 02-12-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Call Rupert Cross (352/406-8814). A friend of mine got estimates from 4 different landscapers. Rupert came in the lowest. She absolutely loved what he did! She wanted a patio-like area in the front of her home and rocks put in. The patio area is beautiful. The landscaped areas look really good. He moved plants around for her, pulled up dead ones, changed sprinklers all at no additional charge.

I've recommended Rupert for trimming jobs and light landscaping in the past but this was the first time I recommended him for serious landscape work since I had not seen any of his landscape work. He and his crew really do a beautiful job.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 PM

Thank you for your advice!
Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Default Grass to something-other-than-grass

When we bought a year ago we were told that 60% of the area visible from the road had to be grass (of the approved type).

Now, having driven around the area, we have noticed a number of neighbors with considerably less than this. Some have just extended their driveways whereas others have done nice landscaping, which enhances the neighborhood.

I would like to replace some of our grass with rocks and plants, but don't want to be told later that I have to rip it all up and put the grass back.

Is this "60%" ever enforced, and where can I find the definitive ruling on all of this?

Thank you
Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm new to TV so I can't help you with the 60% rule but the area I'm speaking of is the side of my CV which is not seen from the street.

If I can make a suggestion...start your own new post/thread using your basic question as your title. Then more people will see it and hopefully respond.

Good luck finding an answer.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:37 AM

Is artificial grass or turf acceptable???? Stays green all the time and does not have to be cut. Plus you can practice your golf game on it.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:20 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Scroll, simple answer, no. I know someone who put in artificial grass and it looked really nice. As soon as Community Watch figured out what it was, they made him remove it and resod the whole lot. What was really sad was that there were signs both in the front and back that artificial turf was being put in and no one said a word until it was all done. The could have saved the poor guy some money.

However, if you have a CV, feel free to do whatever you want in the back. I know of more than one putting green there. Heck, one guy created a 3-hole miniature golf course for his grandkids (big corner lot). It is sooooo cute!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Hi Folks,

Just closed on a CV and we're very excited to eventually move down. But first, we need to rent and I'm trying to simplify the long distance chores; hence one of the reasons we bought a CV.

The previous owner had about a 4' x 30' run of grass along the side of the Villa and we want ot convert it to stone to eliminate one more chore (lawn mowing) and continual cost.

Has anyone done this before? Can anyone recommend a trustworthy, reasonably priced landscaper?

Thx!
We have a CYV and NO GRASS had T&D lay cement in the courtyard (except for stone perimeter. They had Amy Newsome come in and paint it.

No Maintenance and looks great
Old 05-14-2011, 01:32 AM

We live in a CYV. Beware of the vendor guy on the square named Pooter. He told us there is nothing prohibitive about artificial grass. We called two other companies for quotes as well and they told us the truth about the 60% rule. Synthetic Turf of Central Florida and Forever Lawn were the two companies we chose but Synthetic Turf was $2700 less than Forever Lawn out of Clermont and Synthetic Turf did a excellent job. Also Synthetic Turf didnt require a deposit or anything of the sort. Should have known about Pooter he wouldnt tell us where any of his jobs were because of "privacy issues". We saw one of his jobs through a friend of ours neighbor and it is a disaster. Buyer beware of Pooters.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmen View Post
We live in a CYV. Beware of the vendor guy on the square named Pooter. He told us there is nothing prohibitive about artificial grass. We called two other companies for quotes as well and they told us the truth about the 60% rule. Synthetic Turf of Central Florida and Forever Lawn were the two companies we chose but Synthetic Turf was $2700 less than Forever Lawn out of Clermont and Synthetic Turf did a excellent job. Also Synthetic Turf didnt require a deposit or anything of the sort. Should have known about Pooter he wouldnt tell us where any of his jobs were because of "privacy issues". We saw one of his jobs through a friend of ours neighbor and it is a disaster. Buyer beware of Pooters.
So did Pooters do the work for you?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.