Cost of Lawn Services?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2011, 06:32 PM
Cool Cost of Lawn Services?

My wife and I are purchasing a new home in Buttonwood on Jordan Street and need some help to find a lawn service that is good and reliable. What is the average cost of this service?

We currently live in Virginia Beach and we cannot wait to move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Lawn

I have a stretched Jasmine and pay $45.00 per month for cut,edge,weed and blow. My neighboer has a Begonia and pays the same. TriCounty Landscape Contractor Inc.352-399-2649
Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 AM

I would suggest that you call KB LAWN & LANDSCAPING at 352-748-4400.
They do an excellent job and are very responsive.
Lawn care will be about $50 or so per month.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Bob's Lawn Care

We changed our lawn service and went with Bob's Lawn Service. He charges
$45 per month for weekly cut, weed, and blow and for another $15 every other month he will trim our shrubs and we have quite a bit.
He is really good and would recommend him,
Old 05-27-2011, 09:04 PM

After they damaged my house I started doing my own.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
Default Lawn service

Good advise. If you live in Buttonwood I could pay you. Currently I live in Va. Beach, Va.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:41 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

Lawn services is a largely unregulated industry with a lot of fly-by-night (with your money) operators around. You are doing the right thing by getting references from neighbors, friends, etc. Just avoid paying a lot up front (month is probably OK) as some scam artists offer "discounts" for (a) cash or (b) 6 month or 1 year contracts. "Cash" is usually under-the-table payments to an individual and never reported as business income for taxes. Longer term contracts (6 months, 1 year) have been know to take your money and never return. Another red flag - if they want the check made out to an individual rather than a business name - probably either no "real" business or under-the-table payments.

All that being said, most grass-cutting services for a "typical" TV sized yard runs $50-65 month. That would be weekly cuts most of the time, maybe bi-weekly in winter, plus trim, edge, and blow off debris. Shrub or tree trimming is extra. You may want a service to treat for weeds and to fertilize. That is extra AND MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE. You may want a service to treat for household pests (ants, roaches, etc.) and that will be extra and will not include termite protection AND MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE. You may want termite protection and that will be extra AND MUST BE LICENSED BY THE STATE. You may want a service to tweak and adjust your sprinkler system and check it periodically. That will be extra. Lots of choices to make and some do not need to be made immediately. Some you may chose to do yourself. Make sure you get all agreements in a written contract - too often they just offer a receipt for your payment.

One other little word of warning - if you get multiple of these services from multiple companies and something goes wrong in your yard, there have been instances of "finger pointing" - blaming each other for the problem while no one fixes it for you. The more you get from the same company, the less "spreading the blame" there will be.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:21 PM

I agree with doing some research on who is going to be around and does a good job. Dont be fooled by a low price, because you "get what you pay for".

Look at the equipment, and what they show up in, is it well kept, that will tell you if the company cares about what they do and plan on being around. I learned a long time ago, the cheapest is not the best, and finding the guy who cares about their own equipment usually cares the most about you and his reputation.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Sage

I have Bob's Lawn also and he charges us $40 for our lawn care. Think price depends upon when you've hired him and size and amount of work the yard requires. We've had him for a while and if we've ever had an issue, we've spoken to him. There was one particular crew of his that didn't seem to be as careful as we wanted them to be and another neighbor also had an issue with this crew. They were replaced and all was resolved.

We're fortunate, Bob does the yards on either side of our house and the one behind our next door neighbor and also the yard across the street from us, as well as Mom in law's house that is behind our across the street neighbors. Looks great after the crew leaves, all the yards are manicured at the same time...
Old 06-02-2011, 03:40 PM

I have used an excellent young man with a fabulous work ethic. He does several of my homes and my clients homes as well. He is resonably priced and a hard worker. Smitty Etc. 561-1999.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:44 PM

please call me we are a great lawn service in this area 50.00 per month is the average you can reach me at (352)748-7337 Jay with Fairfield farms nurseries Thank you
Old 06-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Sage

Got Tri-County in Buttonwood and am getting less and less contented with their service. Heard with all the new homes built, they have nearly doubled their customers, but still have the same lawn crews. They are in such a hurry that they miss a lot of what they are suppose to do. I'd like to get a service that will cut my lawn at the height I want,and take care of the weeds and trimming around the doughnuts. I'm paying 45 a month now but am getting close to doing it myself. The big problem I have with the lawn crew is they don't speak english or can understand very little.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:07 PM
Send a message via AIM to tomdice Send a message via Yahoo to tomdice Send a message via Skype™ to tomdice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshevock View Post
My wife and I are purchasing a new home in Buttonwood on Jordan Street and need some help to find a lawn service that is good and reliable. What is the average cost of this service?

We currently live in Virginia Beach and we cannot wait to move.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I will be moving in Buttonwood---Jordan St I will be looking for customers on the block for me to do the lawns. I hope all people on Jordan street will give me a shot. Also if you are going to live there part time will do house sitting. Hope you all will give me a shot. Will be closing on June 30.
Thanks Tommy---------my email address is tomdice@yahoo.com
Old 06-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_defalco View Post
please call me we are a great lawn service in this area 50.00 per month is the average you can reach me at (352)748-7337 Jay with Fairfield farms nurseries Thank you
What do you charge if I want my lawn cut and bushes trimmed? and do you clean up all the fallen debris after trimming? That has been my biggest problem here. None of the landscapers clean up after trimming.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 PM

A gentleman contacted Smitty Etc for a price on a home he is purchasing on Havana Trail. Unfortunately, the email that he gave keeps bouncing back. Matt, of Smitty Etc. asked if I could help him out...so if you are the gentleman that called him and is moving to Havana Trail. Matt has your price and took pictures of your yard...please call him again at 352-561-1999
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.