Courtyard Villa Wall

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Default Courtyard Villa Wall

Any suggestions on what tall flower bushes, etc. to plant along the wall?

thank you.
Old 12-30-2020, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Is this a wall at the back of your yard, or the wall of your neighbors house? Be careful if this is the neighbors house, there are specific restrictions on planting along this wall. As for the wall at the back of your house, no idea, in either case, I would call Commuinity Standards, as restrictions may be different in different CDDs.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

I've got a corner villa lot with all sorts of things planted.

European Fan Palm, a Sugar Palm (will get 12 feet high), Bottlebrush bush/tree

smaller plantings could be Coontie Palms, Windmill Palms,
Old 12-30-2020, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When we purchased our CYV in 2011 they had planted holly bushes along the back wall that were about 18" tall. Now almost ten years later I've got to trim them down every 3 or 4 months. The benefit to us is we have 2 cardinals (a red and brown), a mockingbird, 6 finches and come February 4 Brown Thrashers all live in the hedge. They like the bird bath and we have two feeders just off to the left. We feed them safflower seed (not sunflower), because black birds and squirrels won't touch it. We don't get any flowers but red holly berries, which the squirrel likes. However, if you have a dog don't have any Holly berries because they are poisonous to dogs. You can see some grapes on the table, we put them out for the birds as well.

The Villages Florida
Old 01-01-2021, 11:50 PM

Your hollies are beautiful. I have had them but they have never gotten that tall. How many males and females do you have? That is a fantastic idea for the back of a villa.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

ikr! how lovely, but really trim every few months? they look like they'd grow faster, lol. my compliments, it looks so serene
Old 01-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Barrios View Post
Your hollies are beautiful. I have had them but they have never gotten that tall. How many males and females do you have? That is a fantastic idea for the back of a villa.
With the cardinals the brown is the female and the red is the male, seems like it should be the other way around. They have been in our hedge ever since we started the bird feeder 3-1/2 years ago. The mockingbird is our third one, the first was with us for about 3 years and the next was only a couple of months, then he disappeared and now were on our third and he's a male. When it's mating time they chase another mockingbird all around the neighborhood for about 2 or 3 days, you'll think they are fighting but they're not. Mockingbirds are very territorial, he will sit at the top of a 20' tall tree just off camera to the left and watch the yard, so we know he is around. He once even chased a Hawk out of the yard, but if he doesn't want you in the yard he'll let them know. Feeding the birds is almost a fulltime hobby.
Old 01-06-2021, 12:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

To date we still have grass at the back wall and 3 bushes along the side. No plans to do anything. I do know that anything on the side cannot be in the way of the neighbor maintaining their house.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayerose View Post
Any suggestions on what tall flower bushes, etc. to plant along the wall?

thank you.
Bougainvillea looks very pretty on villa walls as does mandevilla. As for bushes or shrubbery, I don't know. If they got that tall, they would probably be twice as wide and that wouldn't be desirable in the small backyard of a villa.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Bougainvillea looks very pretty on villa walls as does mandevilla. As for bushes or shrubbery, I don't know. If they got that tall, they would probably be twice as wide and that wouldn't be desirable in the small backyard of a villa.
I have bougainvillea it get out of control very easy and when you stick you’re hand in to trim you get back bloody stub. I don’t know if they make thornless? If so get them unless you want scared for life.
Closed Thread

Tags
wall, courtyard, plant, flower, bushes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.