Cow Poop

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2015, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts
Default Cow Poop

We have a need to level our lawn and are looking at a company named Cow Poop which was recommended by our lawn care company. Anyone have any experience with this company?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-10-2015, 05:26 PM
Sage

Level you lawn? Does that mean low spots where water pools?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I don't know anything about this company, but someone will know if the poop is produced by eating unsprayed grass or grain from Monsanto.

Personally neither of these things bother me at all, but it matters to some..

I am just trying to start something, just ignore me.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
We have a need to level our lawn and are looking at a company named Cow Poop which was recommended by our lawn care company. Anyone have any experience with this company?
Your neighbors will love you for it.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
A couple of neighbors have successfully used them. My rep from Deans also suggested I do the same. The name does put me off a bit. But at least this thread is about something done by cows rather than dogs.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:28 PM

is it Cow Poop, or Black Cow dirt?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&Lsunfun View Post
is it Cow Poop, or Black Cow dirt?
That's a good question. That was not a course they taught us in Boston.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I have heard of Black Cow, a topical treatment many landscapers recommend, and which we have had applied in low spots.

I have never heard of a company called Cow Poop.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:14 PM

1-855-COW-POOP COMPOST COW MANURE and so much more!| SUMMERFIELD, FL 34491
I believe this is Adam Neusbaum whom others have recommended here on TOTV - search his name at the top and you will find several threads. We have used him for aeration and were very pleased.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
Level you lawn? Does that mean low spots where water pools?
The lawn, when initially graded, had low spots and crappy sod. We did hear that is was a sub-contractor issue and the warranty department did send the prime contractor out and they had all the excuses and made some attempt but wouldn't redo. We had our landscaping done which required back hoes and front end loaders which further further destroyed the lawn which we knew was going to happen. It is coming back in but not the way we want it to look so we are going to have it redone at some level. Just looking at options and top dressing is one of them.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
I believe this is Adam Neusbaum whom others have recommended here on TOTV - search his name at the top and you will find several threads. We have used him for aeration and were very pleased.

Aeration is not exactly what I need done- more like stinkation.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Sage

It's compost cow manure, sold as Black Kow....their phone number is 1-855-COW-POOP. Since it's probably the same that CFrance used I have to ask how it worked out for you.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:15 PM
Gold member
Default Re: top dressing lawn leveling

It really depends on how much you have to do and how good your back is etc.

I would not top dress with manure because to do it right 1-2 inches over your entire lawn area, to get proper results it needs to be stirred into the top 6-8 inches of soil. The builder refused to do it when I asked. You lawn especially in the southern villages is probably the worst soil in central Florida-sandy alkaline clay.

It can be leveled by top dressing BUT, if you do not plan on killing off the grass,
you can only raise the lower areas by 1/4 to half an inch per month. Your lawn will be going dormant in a few weeks. Not the best time to be doing this. You could probably put one coat of top dressing of a 1/4 to a half inch and be ok-do the rest next spring.

If, little to do, you can cut the low spots with a shovel and put soil underneath. Soil-you can buy top soil-quality varies quite a bit. You can mix organic material into our poor sandy clay. Organic material-compost-manure-peat.

I WOULD NOT TOP DRESS WITH MANURE. For easy lawn care you want the grass roots to go down 6-8 inches. We need to water and fertilize so often because the soil is so poor below the one inch they put down with the sod.
If, you want to apply manure-a good way to add organic matter, you need to get it mixed into the soil deep enough.

Manure by the truck load is always far less costly per volume but, you need a place to store it OUT OF THE RAIN. GARAGE FULL OF MANURE-MY WIFE WOULD PLANT ME UNDER IT.

Black Cow is a quality product-it is quite expensive. It is also very clean and low oder about 5.95 for 50 lbs. Pro Green available at Lowes is close in quality and if I recall it is 1.78 a cubic foot. Rough conversion 1 cubic foot is 35 lbs. Walmart had some manure for like $1.59 for 50 pounds. It is very low quality full of stuff like roofing shingles etc AND IT STINKS.

Sparr on route 44 has some good prices on some items-Black Cow 4.95 for 50 lbs. PERLITE 4 cubic foot bag about $14 a two cubic foot bag at Home depo is like $16.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 PM
Sage

Thanks for all the input.....decision time approaching

Old 09-13-2015, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
We just had Adam do both of our houses. Last year he said we could wait one more year. This year, aerated both lawns. Only one needed top dressed. Sent me an estimate first. We gave him the ok. Both done very happy. Call Adam he can at least tell you what route to go

Tags
company, cow, lawn, poop, recommended, care, experience, level, named

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.