Crepe Myrtle

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 04:12 PM
Default Crepe Myrtle

I am getting ready for February and would like to have our crepe myrtle pruned by a competent, qualified tree trimmer. Our new lawn service said they are not qualified to prune trees and I sincerely respect their honesty. So I am looking for recommendations for crepe myrtle pruning only. At the end of winter. Before spring. Thank you.
Old 09-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmspla1952 View Post
I am getting ready for February and would like to have our crepe myrtle pruned by a competent, qualified tree trimmer. Our new lawn service said they are not qualified to prune trees and I sincerely respect their honesty. So I am looking for recommendations for crepe myrtle pruning only. At the end of winter. Before spring. Thank you.
We have three Crepes, they are bautiful trees. We always have our trees pruned and shaped by Kanani Morris, known as Tree Frog. Tree Frog Tree Service - About Us

If you do a search on this site you will see that he is hgihly recommended. He is an artist and loves trees. Call and ask for a free estimate.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-07-2020, 01:32 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
We have three Crepes, they are bautiful trees. We always have our trees pruned and shaped by Kanani Morris, known as Tree Frog. Tree Frog Tree Service - About Us

If you do a search on this site you will see that he is hgihly recommended. He is an artist and loves trees. Call and ask for a free estimate.

Excellent advice!
Old 09-08-2020, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It's not rocket science. I take a pruning saw and cut mine below the knuckles every other year or when necessary.

It always comes back looking great.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-08-2020, 04:40 PM

We just got an estimate for weeding and it was $170 for a first time and $20/month after that. We have a few plants in rock beds and a smaller center area. Our mowing service didn’t mention crazy weeds, but a friend said we had a few. We will have someone come in, but relatives in Virginia Trace said that was way more than they paid for their first time. Is that quote in line with what we should expect? Thank you.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It's not rocket science. I take a pruning saw and cut mine below the knuckles every other year or when necessary.

I agree. I to have a crepe myrtle and prune each year looks amazing. Looking at the consultation this person charges is way over the top.

For me a phone call show him what I want done get an estimate like most individuals would expect. But " Consultation Fee " . Thanks but No Thanks !
Old 09-09-2020, 06:10 AM

Where is a good place to get a Crepe Myrtle? We had to cut down a Sylvester Palm just after purchasing a house in Tamarind Grove
due to suspected lethal bronzing. Would like to replace it with a Crepe Myrtle.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 09-09-2020, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
Where is a good place to get a Crepe Myrtle? We had to cut down a Sylvester Palm just after purchasing a house in Tamarind Grove
due to suspected lethal bronzing. Would like to replace it with a Crepe Myrtle.
Right here, on this thread just three or four posts up from mine,, is probably the best place you can buy a really good specimen tree The Yard Stop. I bought my Three trees from them many years ago, I actually had them plant my trees and it has been worth every penny. My biggest tree is a white Natchez, it is over 30ft tall and grows in an umbrella shape, gives us perfect shade on our patio and my birds love it.

Yes, I am a tree hugger

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-09-2020 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-09-2020, 05:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Another vote for Tree Frog. Kanii is a certified tree arborist, bonded, insured and has all the needed equipment for any job. He is more expensive but well worth it if someone gets hurt or a tree falls on your neighbors.
Tree Frog Tree Service - About Us
Old 09-12-2020, 12:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post

They call this method of pruning Crepe Murder. It does not kill the tree but it will never look good again.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:27 AM
Default Bloom size

I like the heavy pruning because it removes much of last years problems. Scale, ball moss and lichen to name a few. Also you get larger blooms when the new growth is large. Letting the tree go natural is nice for bird nests, and more shade.
Look around and learn the difference next summer, decide how you want YOUR tree to look. Neither way is wrong, but both ways have reasons why and why not. Go for the look YOU want, and know someone is always going to tell you, you should have done it the other way. You can always change your mind later and try the other way. No it isn't rocket science, but it IS...a SCIENCE. It's called botany.
Closed Thread

Tags
crepe, myrtle, qualified, respect, honesty

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.