critter in the lawn

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2015, 10:16 AM
Default critter in the lawn

There is a hole about 2 inches in diameter. in back lawn close to the house....one way in and out..looks like something dug it as you can see the sand as it was digging its way down.. and wondered if anyone had phone number of a company that would look and take care of it.

It isn't a mole or snake I don't believe. Thre are no tunnels.

I was given a quote from someone for $179 to just come and 'look'..then another $$ to get rid of it.

Thot perhaps someone mite have had issue with lawn pest and can refer me to get rid of it.

thanksx.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Sage

Jazz, take a picture and post here?
You can send it to...
Askthemastergardener@ifas.ufl.edu
There are lawn experts and critter experts they can consult about your question. Free.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:12 AM

More than likely a rabbit making a nest if it's me at the house. And get rid of it why?
Old 05-19-2015, 11:43 AM

Yes, could be bunnies since we have them here ..quite a few actually but they are pretty big..3-4 lbs maybe..so don't think could be them. but I explored hole and think whatever 'tried' to dig gave up...lawn very very dry there and hole not dug far.at all. I could see it was only dug in a few inches..then whatever it was gave up I think.....which is good. whew!!

I did old fashion way..put some moth balls in it ...so whatever it is..won't be around long..put a few around area just 'incase'.

Possibly smelled the cat also since it was right by the bedroom window where she sleeps..nites cool enuf to have window slightly open. I recall her the other nite looking really hard at 'something' that was there so probably when it was 'digging'.

thanks.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzeoneaj View Post
Yes, could be bunnies since we have them here ..quite a few actually but they are pretty big..3-4 lbs maybe..so don't think could be them. but I explored hole and think whatever 'tried' to dig gave up...lawn very very dry there and hole not dug far.at all. I could see it was only dug in a few inches..then whatever it was gave up I think.....which is good. whew!!

I did old fashion way..put some moth balls in it ...so whatever it is..won't be around long..put a few around area just 'incase'.

Possibly smelled the cat also since it was right by the bedroom window where she sleeps..nites cool enuf to have window slightly open. I recall her the other nite looking really hard at 'something' that was there so probably when it was 'digging'.

thanks.
A couple of common diggers here ..squirrels hiding or finding buried nuts, that do not tunnel, and armadillos, which eat roots and also tunnel and make big holes. I would guess it is a squirrel, or as you say, a rabbit that changed its plan.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 PM

I would guess it to be from a opossum.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:02 PM
Sage

You could have a "pocket gopher". My neighbor had one and it dug a raceway between houses. It was eating up several lawns and may be a destructive critter. I found a large pile of dirt outside my driveway and was the first one to do anything about it. They listen to a lawn cutting guy who said it was a mole and there wasn't anything they could do, about the situation. WRONG!!!

The man who trapped mine was Joe Giacobbe and was recommended by Massey, so I would call them. 352.259.0500

Joe charged $179 for setting the traps and $100 for the critters removal. He also guaranteed his work for one year from date of catching the critter. I know it sounds expensive but my critter would have ate up my lawn.

I would check to see if there are mounds of dirt in your adjoining neighbors yards. Better than destroying a lawn and that would be more expensive. I believe there is a thread on this subject as I posted about it awhile back, possibly on October 27th of 2014.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-19-2015, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberschaf View Post
I would guess it to be from a opossum.
Yes! I forgot possums!
Old 05-19-2015, 03:24 PM

Two inch hole. Most likely palm rats. Deane or Massey will put out bait traps.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Do the easy thing: Forget about it unless you get multi holes!
It doesn't sound like anything serious or anything to worry about.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM
Gold member

Coons, digging for grubs?.......
Old 05-20-2015, 10:44 AM

Thank you Kitty for your responses..Whatevever it was......its gone.

I looked more closely at the digging and hole....I think it was a bunny because I have lots of them here in Sunset Pt.

But no more 'activity there and I put some mothballs in it..it wasn't very deep..just looked like the animal was making a hole to maybe lie in cause of the heat..and its in the shade against the house.

I heard about the Critter Catcher in Leesburg...$179 just to come out and 'look' at it.. I think if it had been something else and activity was noticeable..I mite have called him..but just glad nothing came of this.

thanks again.

jazz
Old 05-20-2015, 11:40 AM

I was thinking the same thing! Opossum are difficult to get rid of and they will leave a STINK that is horrible! We tried moth balls and they didn't work either. We were advised to make sure there were no babies in the hole, the opossum was out of the hole (at night) and then fill the hole with concert. We had a big family of them so it took quite awhile to get rid of them and the smell. The best of luck to you in figuring out what you have and getting it to move.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.