Cutting tall palm trees

Closed Thread
Old 08-25-2020, 08:14 PM
Location: Brooklyn O; NYC; Cambridge, Ma; London, UK; Martha's Vineyard Is.; Newburyport, Ma; The Villages
Default Cutting tall palm trees

We have a few palm trees growing so tall it's hard to lean back and see the tops.... and unfortunately leaning over the neighbor's house. Is it difficult to get permission to remove them ? Hard to believe anyone has a ladder long enough to trim the tops.... you'd need a crane.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:09 AM

No permit needed. Palms are not really trees. If they are queen palms, remove altogether or replace with sabal palms which are slower growing, need much less trimming, and are native to the area (no frost damage). There are plenty of tree removal people in the area.
Old 08-27-2020, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

I had one removed couple years that was 30 feet plus in CYV behind wall and close to neighbors garage. Made sure I got people that was bonded and had bucket/boom truck. Costs $300 buck with stump ground down. I watch some rookies remove neighbors and the got up on roof leaned over and made cut. Luckily it fell away from house. Don’t go Cheap? IMO sometimes maybe risky?
Old 08-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I had one removed couple years that was 30 feet plus in CYV behind wall and close to neighbors garage. Made sure I got people that was bonded and had bucket/boom truck. Costs $300 buck with stump ground down. I watch some rookies remove neighbors and the got up on roof leaned over and made cut. Luckily it fell away from house. Don’t go Cheap? IMO sometimes maybe risky?
Good advice. Check worker’s compensation papers and look at effective dates.
Old 08-27-2020, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Quote:
When we first moved here liked the looks over them and we started thinking about getting one or two.

Started watching homeowners going up ladders along side of tree to take off dead branches and than a few trees splitting or falling and wondering now why so many people seem to want them.
Old 08-27-2020, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
When we first moved here liked the looks over them and we started thinking about getting one or two.

Started watching homeowners going up ladders along side of tree to take off dead branches and than a few trees splitting or falling and wondering now why so many people seem to want them.
I suspect most brought resale and palms was already there. IMO takes about 20 years and they get too tall to prune and the seed pods can be widow makers!
Old 08-27-2020, 08:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,016 Times in 5,320 Posts

Quote:
I suspect most brought resale and palms was already there. IMO takes about 20 years and they get too tall to prune and the seed pods can be widow makers!
Have heard they can grow 4-5 ft per year
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, trees, tall, tops, hard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.