Deans Broken Promises - Ineffective Lawn Service

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Angry Deans Broken Promises - Ineffective Lawn Service

Over 3 years ago we contracted with Deans to provide fertilizing and weed control service at our new home. At the start we did not live full time in TV and whenever we returned we were displeased with the condition of our lawn compared to our neighbors. Deans technicians told us to water more; to water less; to aerate the lawn; to apply topsoil in low areas; to install a French drain system and we did all of these things. Eventually as full-time residents we watched our lawn progressively deteriorate but believed Deans when they offered promises and solutions. Now, as lawns are coming out of dormancy and our neighbors’ lawns are turning green again, ours is worse than ever. A manager recently came out to see the lawn and promised “special” treatments every two weeks until the lawn improved – that only happened once. We were told our regular lawn treatment would take place by mid-March – that never happened. We were told that the technician should have put through a request for special treatments after seeing the lawn condition in January – that never happened. And after calling Deans again this morning, another technician came out and had the nerve to say that the “free special services get pushed back when Dean’s is short staffed” and that I need to be "educated about lawn and soil conditions." (I thought we hired them so that we didn't need to be knowledgeable about such things.) I asked for the manager (Dustin) and the VP (Trent) to call back -- hopefully that will happen.
Since Deans has been the only landscaper to provide lawn services on this property they did not inherit problems from another company. Our lawn’s condition is the result of their services and it is their responsibility to fix it. I know that such a successful company has satisfied customers but it also seems such large companies also don't see the value of an individual customer. Out of absolute frustration I am sharing our experiences and offering documenting photos to anyone who is interested (photos too large to upload). If Deans does improve our lawn’s condition I will be thrilled to post those pictures and share my satisfaction. Until then – buyer beware.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, we have had the opposite results using Deans only for almost 5 years. Have never had a problem with an additional service calls, for lawn or pest problem. As a matter of fact, 2 weeks ago I though a saw a palm rat, called Deans, with 2 hours a tech was at the house with a special trap, and they were here today doing scheduled work, and checked the trap for activity.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

OP. This has been a winter with many freezes. No one's lawns look real good right now. They are just coming out of dormant time.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:12 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Dean’s has some great lawn people and some awful lawn people. Sounds like you got the awful gang. Sadly, I’ve found Dustin and their other managers to be pretty much ineffectual— promises but no follow through. Keep nagging them. Don’t be afraid to threaten cancelling, small claims court, etc. I’ve found that to be the most effective. Had one lawn that looked absolutely dismal but Dean’s kept promising to take care of it. Finally sent out a tech who is absolutely phenomenal. He made it the best looking lawn on the street within six months and continues to look great 18 months later. Good luck. They can do the job. Just takes a lot of effort on your part to get them to do it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-23-2018, 01:34 PM

Massey is the worse, I could tell you about MY rip off (actual fraud) from them...But, I don't wanna get whacked....
Old 03-23-2018, 01:40 PM
Veteran member

My experience with Dean's for 3 1/2 years has been the same. Every time we come down, I swear the lawn looks worse. Have had the exact same progression as you.....they say "water more, water less, aerate, topsoil application, etc". At this point, I have almost no grass on the front lawn. It looks scalped. Dean's has been very responsive every time I've called....they always send someone out right away. Once, when our screen was damaged from a weed whacker, they had that repaired post haste. However....my lawn still is the worst one on the block and I have seen no "special treatments". I am beyond frustrated. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears!

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 03-23-2018, 03:05 PM

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...=click&id=1019
So far so good.. I been using Them since November.
I use them for everything, Cut, trim, fertilize, weed.

Last edited by Daddymac; 03-23-2018 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:17 PM
Sage

A statement I use applies in this situation: "A lawn service company - any service company, for that matter - is only as good as the guy in the truck."

OP, it's time to replace Deans when your agreement expires.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
A statement I use applies in this situation: "A lawn service company - any service company, for that matter - is only as good as the guy in the truck."

OP, it's time to replace Deans when your agreement expires.
Op consider KB lawn.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Op consider KB lawn.
OP, you might also want to consider FertiGator Lawn Service, 352-314-2867.
We've been pleased with the results of their "Total Care" Plan for the past 2 years.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Default Done with Deans

After extreme patience coupled with thousands of dollars spent with Deans we have finally cut the cord. Neither the manager Dustin or the VP Trent returned our call last Friday. I called this week and again requested to speak to Trent but my call was not put through to him. The reality was apparent; we were not deemed important enough by Deans for anyone to bother to speak with us.
For many businesses, it is easier and cheaper to keep a customer rather than find a new one. That axiom is not true here in TV because of the sheer number of potential new customers moving in every day.
Hoping to find a lawn company that can repair the damage Deans has done. Thanks for recommendations.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, deans, condition, services, happened

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.