Did you Know? This is important!!!

Did you Know? This is important!!!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Did you Know? This is important!!!
  #1  
Old 11-08-2016, 01:05 PM
cheryl2court cheryl2court is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Did you Know? This is important!!!

Did you know that the Architectural Committee's (ARC) cannot be challenged? This is so, even if a resident totally removes all grass and replaces it with Pine Straw (4 sides of his property) on his golf course lot without prior approval. As long as the resident uses "Florida- Friendly plants, this is so in District 5, the Villages of Poinciana.

When we purchased a home in the Villages we agreed to abide by certain covenants, as are still stated on the Villages website. On one condition is: Florida Statute 373.185:
"A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land. Florida-friendly landscaping refers to the utilization of drought tolerant "plants". It does not mean that sod may be replaced with rock, decorative stone, pine straw, mulch or similar non-plant material; however, those non-plant materials may be used as an accent around the said plantings."

If this covenant has been amended, it is not mentioned on the website. Why not?

Yet, a resident can be threatened with a fine/day if a Patriotic flower is not removed from their front lawn; also a covenant- no lawn ornaments.

  #2  
Old 11-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Fraugoofy Fraugoofy is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,543
Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl2court View Post
Did you know that the Architectural Committee's (ARC) cannot be challenged? This is so, even if a resident totally removes all grass and replaces it with Pine Straw (4 sides of his property) on his golf course lot without prior approval. As long as the resident uses "Florida- Friendly plants, this is so in District 5, the Villages of Poinciana.

When we purchased a home in the Villages we agreed to abide by certain covenants, as are still stated on the Villages website. On one condition is: Florida Statute 373.185:
"A deed restriction or covenant may not prohibit any property owner from implementing Florida-friendly landscaping on his or her land. Florida-friendly landscaping refers to the utilization of drought tolerant "plants". It does not mean that sod may be replaced with rock, decorative stone, pine straw, mulch or similar non-plant material; however, those non-plant materials may be used as an accent around the said plantings."

If this covenant has been amended, it is not mentioned on the website. Why not?

Yet, a resident can be threatened with a fine/day if a Patriotic flower is not removed from their front lawn; also a covenant- no lawn ornaments.
I would not want to live next to someone with pine straw on all four sides of his house. Peace out...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 11-08-2016, 02:54 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: From Ohio, now happily live in Laurel Valley
Posts: 36,486
Thanks: 177
Thanked 101 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I would not want to live next to someone with pine straw on all four sides of his house. Peace out...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Me either. It is so pretty here. Wonder what the rest of the story is.
__________________
I have to be myself, everyone else is taken.
  #4  
Old 11-08-2016, 04:17 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 12,858
Thanks: 1
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

My take on that rule is you can't just have pine straw or stones, etc. But you could take all the grass out and replace with drought tolerant landscaping, around which could be mulch of some sort. So you may "drought tolerant plant" your heart out, but you can't just rip out all the sod and replace it with mulch.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
Did you Know? This is important!!!
  #5  
Old 11-09-2016, 03:46 PM
cheryl2court cheryl2court is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Did you Know? This is important!!!

As I posted before- replacing Sod with Pine straw is not what we want the Villages to look like. Someone commented "What is the rest of the story" take a look at the picture I attached.!!!
Attached Thumbnails
pine-straw-yard-jpg  

Last edited by cheryl2court; 11-09-2016 at 04:00 PM.
  #6  
Old 11-09-2016, 04:02 PM
village dreamer village dreamer is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 595
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

did ron hess say it looks fine ???
  #7  
Old 11-10-2016, 12:57 AM
KittyKat's Avatar
KittyKat KittyKat is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Village of Amelia then Tall Trees & now Sunset Pointe
Posts: 665
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy

I thought the rule was that you could only remove a certain percentage of your lawn. I can't believe the ARC allowed this. It's a fire hazard and snakes love pine straw. Removing it was one of the first things we did. UGLY!
__________________
Barbie
Angel of Mercy
  #8  
Old 11-10-2016, 05:48 AM
photo1902 photo1902 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,655
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKat View Post
I thought the rule was that you could only remove a certain percentage of your lawn. I can't believe the ARC allowed this. It's a fire hazard and snakes love pine straw. Removing it was one of the first things we did. UGLY!
Not to burst your bubble, but snakes like stone as well. Especially later in the year when the stone retains its heat. We have a little black snake that loves laying in our stone. As far as a fire hazard...seriously? Must explain the rash of lawn fires here.
  #9  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 AM
outlaw outlaw is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,010
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You might as well face the future. Eventually, grass will be considered bad for the environment (high water usage and pesticide/herbicide runoff) by mainstream, and everyone will be encouraged or required to use different ground cover. Already, there is a movement in TV to go xeriscape.
  #10  
Old 11-10-2016, 07:56 AM
bagboy bagboy is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,432
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but snakes like stone as well. Especially later in the year when the stone retains its heat. We have a little black snake that loves laying in our stone. As far as a fire hazard...seriously? Must explain the rash of lawn fires here.
The Windsor Green and Barefoot Resorts fires in Myrtle Beach were a result of a previously started fire coming into contact with pine straw used for landscaping. Raleigh NC and several NC cities and towns either restrict or ban the use of pine straw. It seems far fetched until there is a fire.
Closed Thread

Tags
important
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.