Did you Know? This is important!!!

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2016, 12:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl2court View Post
As I posted before- replacing Sod with Pine straw is not what we want the Villages to look like. Someone commented "What is the rest of the story" take a look at the picture I attached.!!!
This is landscaping?

I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry!
--- ---
Old 11-21-2016, 10:11 PM

TV used cypress mulch for many years, and St. Aug. grass. The change to pinestraw and zoysia save the builder about 3 hundred bucks per house. Both changes are inferior products and not better for those purchasing homes here.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
TV used cypress mulch for many years, and St. Aug. grass. The change to pinestraw and zoysia save the builder about 3 hundred bucks per house. Both changes are inferior products and not better for those purchasing homes here.
The superiority of St. Augustine to zoysia is very subjective to be stated so matter-of-factly.
Old 11-22-2016, 12:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
You might as well face the future. Eventually, grass will be considered bad for the environment (high water usage and pesticide/herbicide runoff) by mainstream, and everyone will be encouraged or required to use different ground cover. Already, there is a movement in TV to go xeriscape.
There may be a movement but it probably has the same percentage of proponents as the minority party here in TV.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
You have permission to xeriscape from the state of Florida. This supersedes any directive of the ARC as to how much grass you must have, it has been proven.
I'm in favor of xeriscape landscaping; but I think changes still have to be approved by the ARC.

Last edited by Barefoot; 11-22-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:08 PM
Sage

It is the same here as the rest of the country, depending on who you are...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 11-23-2016, 01:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
The superiority of St. Augustine to zoysia is very subjective to be stated so matter-of-factly.
It may be subjective, Polar Bear, but one can't deny that any type of St. Augustine looks 100% better than the Zoysia in the newer areas. So tell me . . . . . what's wrong with green grass all year long as opposed to brown in the winter and brown blotches here and there all summer long?

In addition, you really aren't saving water. There isn't much difference in the amount of water each type requires. The real secret is not to scalp your lawn and let it grow to a height of 4 inches or so. Those who have Zoysia should think about planting St. Augustine plugs!
Old 11-23-2016, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
It may be subjective, Polar Bear, but one can't deny that any type of St. Augustine looks 100% better than the Zoysia in the newer areas. So tell me . . . . . what's wrong with green grass all year long as opposed to brown in the winter and brown blotches here and there all summer long?

In addition, you really aren't saving water. There isn't much difference in the amount of water each type requires. The real secret is not to scalp your lawn and let it grow to a height of 4 inches or so. Those who have Zoysia should think about planting St. Augustine plugs!
Im with you. We live in Lake Deaton, so therefore have Zoysia. Paying our monthly water bill (the irrigation portion) each month, I sure as heck don't see any savings. In-laws and friends who live near the polo grounds, and have St. Augustine, water less than we do, and enjoy beautiful green grass year round. In my opinion there is no water savings with Zoysia.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
Obviously you've had better experience with St. Augustine. I respect that. And I've been very happy with St. Augustine in the past. I like it.

But my Zoysia looks better year around than you describe and I like it just fine. It's only your statements such as "one can't deny that any type of St. Augustine looks 100% better than the Zoysia..." that I take issue with. I for one certainly can deny that. (I don't know why the newer areas would be a problem unless newly installed lawns simply aren't getting proper maintenance.)

There are many, many beautiful Zoysia lawns in TV year 'round.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts
Default Village Developer likes Pine Straw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiring View Post
Does anyone truly believe pine straw is attractive? I don’t have a creative bone in my body. Maybe pine straw is one of those things only creative people understand.
As you drive down the various streets and roads you will obviously notice Pine Straw everywhere. The Developer overall did a great job of landscaping the green area of TV.

However, the first thing we did with our landscape was take out the Pine Straw and replace it with a combination of rock and bark. Of course, we had to have a couple of Palms to make it look "Florida". I am beginning to see a number of yards replacing about half or more of their yards with various plants with bark and rock. "Attractive" or "creative" is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This is important? Why? Just stay within the covenants and restrictions. What some people see as important is incredible to me.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:02 PM
Default pine straw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Yes a pine straw fire burns really quick. When we first moved in someone threw out a cigarette and the entire front lawn down the street was on fire.
That is the reason The Villages uses pine straw all over the landscape in the villages, it is a fire hazard, it attracts snakes, rodents, and bugs. I find pine straw very Florida friendly and beautiful, it is a natural look. No rocks or stone for me.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This is important? Why?...What some people see as important is incredible to me.
Agree.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
This is important? Why? Just stay within the covenants and restrictions. What some people see as important is incredible to me.
I think perhaps it's the Title of the thread that bothers you rather than the subject of the thread. If the title had been "Landscaping your Villages Home", probably many of us wouldn't have read it.

Possibly the landscaping deed restrictions have become less restrictive and more Florida-Friendly as The Villages expands south?

Last edited by Barefoot; 11-23-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:11 PM

I was told by The Villages Management Office at Sumter Landing doing The Academy Class... "The Villages do not go out looking for violations, if
if a resident (s) reports the possible violation to them , they will look into the issue and take action if required" You do not have to give your name,
address or any ID on your part.. Lets put this statement to test!! And then report back on this web site your experience
Closed Thread

Tags
important

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.