Discolored leaves on plants

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Discolored leaves on plants

This is the first time since we are living here in Central Florida that the leaves on some of our plants have turned a brownish black color after the freezing temperatures at night. The ferns took the hardest hit. One of our Philodendrun plants doesn't look good either with those blackish brown leaves.

I didn't know to cover these plants because they have never suffered leaf damage like this before. Will these plants come back in the Spring/Summer?
Old 01-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

You can contact the master gardener for answers (Google florida master gardener), but in any case leave the plants alone for the next 2 months to see if they survived.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Veteran member

Mid March is the end of the freeze season. After that, consult your gardener
Old 01-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

No expert but I would agree to give the plants to at least the end of Feb to see what can be salvaged.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:53 PM
Gold member

Wait and don't cut anything back.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The only shabby looking, dead looking plants we have are the ones we planted/added; Hibiscus and Bougainvilla. (that is spelled wrong)

The plants that come with our homes that the builder planted are the ones that survive every year.

Just sayin'.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Anything tropical probably dead unless the stems are woody. I sure my croton, Hawaiian ti, and others are dead as door nail. Even my orlanders are burnt, but they should come back? My cooper leaf usually makes it through down to 28, but I had 3 days in roll at least 28 and one day was 26. Probably got it all? Luckily I got few starts that I brought in.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I think this latest cold snap displayed the difference between freeze and frost.

Cover to protect from frost.
However even a covered a plant will still freeze.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
This is the first time since we are living here in Central Florida that the leaves on some of our plants have turned a brownish black color after the freezing temperatures at night. The ferns took the hardest hit. One of our Philodendrun plants doesn't look good either with those blackish brown leaves.

I didn't know to cover these plants because they have never suffered leaf damage like this before. Will these plants come back in the Spring/Summer?
I think a lot of plants that usually made it through frost with no problem this year got hit especially hard. It killed our Bouganvillia which it has never done in our 10 years of living here. I see dead hibiscus all over town. Time will tell if we can salvage these plants by cutting them back but I think we have to wait until the frost threat is behind us before we do this.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 AM
Gold member
Default Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post

There is nothing you can do about what has already happened. Ferns typically in the cold die back to the ground.They will come back in the spring.

Now is the best time to do NOTHING. Damaged leaves,"blackish brown," will be dropped as new growth starts in the spring. If, it makes you feel better you can look at the plant and see if there are live buds on it that will grow in the spring.

Our weather is rocking back and forth between warm and cold-that is the worst for your plants. If, you apply fertilizer or prune, it causes the plants to grow and they will be damaged or killed at the next cold days. NOW IS THE BEST TIME TO DO NOTHING ON ALREADY PLANTED PLANTS.
Closed Thread

Tags
plants, leaves, good, blackish, cover

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.