DIY Pest/Weed Control Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2018, 06:39 AM
Default DIY Pest/Weed Control Recommendations

I am new to the Villages and want to take on Pest and Weed control to save money. Looking for recommendations on what to buy for the applications and where to buy. I have heard some advice to try a business called U Kill Em.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:11 AM
Default My input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwg1168 View Post
I am new to the Villages and want to take on Pest and Weed control to save money. Looking for recommendations on what to buy for the applications and where to buy. I have heard some advice to try a business called U Kill Em.
You do not mention your experience. The cooperative extension is quite helpful. As an ex-New Yorker, I recall a lecture where the speaker asked how many were northerners.
The enxt line, and so true is much of what you used to do up north is wrong here. Our growing season is about 10 months long. For WEEDS it is about 14 months out of the 12.

You do not say how big your property is. Your type of grass etc. Most everyone here has either St Augustine or Empire Zoyzia. There care is different. Weed controls that you can use on Empire Zoysia will KILL St Augustine. Each has pluses and minuses. In any case I do not think you can. I KNOW YOU SHOULD NOT try to change from what you have to the other. Properties are connected. If, you change your type of grass it will CREEP into your neighbors.

As to weedkillers. All that is important is the chemicals in it. I prefer liquid because IN MY OPINION it works faster.
The granular needs to get wet to work. OH and it needs to get wet without being washed off-HUH? One of the most widely used weed killers-broad leaf weedkiller-is 24D.
If, I recall it was invented about 1910. It is way off patent. You will find if it has a NAME ON IT like Ortho, Scotts, Bayer it will cost you far more than if you buy it from say a farm supply under it's chemical name.

WHEN is as if not more important as what to do. Once you know what you have, there is plenty of information on the internet.

I would make notes of what you have done and why you did it so that you will learn from any mistakes or woulda shouldas.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM
Default Where to buy

OMITTEDThe first question is WHAT TO BUY.

The,"normal stuff," can be bought at the box stores Walmart,
Home Depo etc. ADDED TO MY ORIGINAL #3 POST-I should have mentioned SPARKS, across from Travers plaza. In addition to the,"normal stuff." sold at the box stores they have farm stuff. Per-lite in large quantity, sulpher in 50 lb? bags and some better quality tools than typical of the box stores. Also, ACE-they have people ready willing and able to help you. While my wife is shopping, I always look in the garden section and buy stuff which I use when it is at a good price. Recent stuff I've bought-first week of june 2018)
Black cow 50lb manure Walmart close out 3.50 a bag) Rural King a regular item 50lb bag 16-5-16 lawn and field fertilizer.
It is about 2/3 long release nitrogen (sulpher coated urea)
It is $19 a bag. You are supposed to apply less than 1 pound nitrogen per 1,000 sq foot. I apply LESS THAN THAT so I use far less water than many others do. That 50 lb bag will be three applications on my 5,000 sq foot lawn.

Exotic stuff-you can find anything on the internet for your garden use. BEWARE-the box stores and others will sell stuff that will not survive here. Example, boxes of peony roots-IT IS TOO HOT HERE FOR THEM yet they have them every year and people buy them

Last edited by thetruth; 06-13-2018 at 02:56 PM. Reason: OMITTED
Closed Thread

Tags
control, buy, recommendations, advice, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.