Don't do it!

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Default Don't do it!

Sorry people, yes, by now your yard might have dead or dead-looking plants all over it. It looks pretty bad, not up to "Village" standards. But wait! Do not trim! Don't let your landscaper clean it all up yet either. If you cut everything back or down now, and it freezes again, it'll kill everything off that would have grown back. The general rule here is to wait until March. You're going to have to live with it for now. And yes, a lot of "dead" stuff will come back, so don't replace until you can trim and give it a chance.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage

Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran member

ouch! What'll it cost The Villages?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:14 AM
Veteran member

It happens every year, just deal with it...
Old 01-07-2018, 10:11 AM
Gold member
Default Sadly amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
Sorry people, yes, by now your yard might have dead or dead-looking plants all over it. It looks pretty bad, not up to "Village" standards. But wait! Do not trim! Don't let your landscaper clean it all up yet either. If you cut everything back or down now, and it freezes again, it'll kill everything off that would have grown back. The general rule here is to wait until March. You're going to have to live with it for now. And yes, a lot of "dead" stuff will come back, so don't replace until you can trim and give it a chance.
Much of the information people rely on comes from people looking to GENERATE WORK.

Many people insist on fighting NATURE. In the end, you will loose and/or NATURE will win.

In many places you will find garden calendars-the right time to do......

Unfortunately, the builder and many of the,?landscapers? do not even supply the names of what you are paying them to put in. First you want to learn what you have. Then, you want to look up AND PRINT the growth habit and care.

I see people wrapping plants for cold protection. First of all many are doing it wrong-it has to go down to the ground. The idea is to trap/hold heat. More importantly, perhaps, your should consider replacing those plants with plants that are suited to our climate. Said differently, if it died there is a reason. If, you are going to replace it, you need either to correct the problem or perhaps find ANOTHER PLANT that will put up with that problem.

NOW-if you/we are suffering from garden withdrawal-is a good time to PLAN and to review mistakes.

When, we first moved in the guy that was mowing our lawn wanted to make us a deal on applying Scotts Bonus 5-a popular fertilizer weed killer mix. IT WAS DECEMBER-thanks but no thanks. First of all the last time to apply ANY fertilizer here is OCTOBER and it should not be a high nitrogen product. Oh and the best time to kill most weeds is in the spring when they are growing and they are young.
He obviously got stuck with some product and thought he could sell it to...........
Old 01-07-2018, 11:24 AM

I love that advice..Don't do anything..Music to my ears...T.Y.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

A good source of information regarding gardening in Florida.
Florida Gardening Magazine
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
Much of the information people rely on comes from people looking to GENERATE WORK.

Many people insist on fighting NATURE. In the end, you will loose and/or NATURE will win.

In many places you will find garden calendars-the right time to do......

Unfortunately, the builder and many of the,?landscapers? do not even supply the names of what you are paying them to put in. First you want to learn what you have. Then, you want to look up AND PRINT the growth habit and care.

I see people wrapping plants for cold protection. First of all many are doing it wrong-it has to go down to the ground. The idea is to trap/hold heat. More importantly, perhaps, your should consider replacing those plants with plants that are suited to our climate. Said differently, if it died there is a reason. If, you are going to replace it, you need either to correct the problem or perhaps find ANOTHER PLANT that will put up with that problem.

NOW-if you/we are suffering from garden withdrawal-is a good time to PLAN and to review mistakes.

When, we first moved in the guy that was mowing our lawn wanted to make us a deal on applying Scotts Bonus 5-a popular fertilizer weed killer mix. IT WAS DECEMBER-thanks but no thanks. First of all the last time to apply ANY fertilizer here is OCTOBER and it should not be a high nitrogen product. Oh and the best time to kill most weeds is in the spring when they are growing and they are young.
He obviously got stuck with some product and thought he could sell it to...........
But, my copper leafs are soooooooooo pretty! I can tell you what I'm not planting HOLLIES.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:22 PM
Gold member

I agree, wait. Those that come back will be much hardier.
Closed Thread

Tags
back, wait, trim, dead, march

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.