Edge trimmers with the plastic line or lines...

Closed Thread
Old 09-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Edge trimmers with the plastic line or lines...

do you wind your own spools? Or buy the replacement cartridges?

Do you have electric or gas and why?

I am in the process of in sourcing my yard work.....I just like the attention I pay to the details whereas the paid help does not. I just know my yard(s) always looked better when I did them. And it isn't like I don't have the time.

btk
Old 09-07-2010, 12:41 PM

I have a small B&D electric, and I wind my own line.
I also like the way it looks when It is done by me, and doing this work is part of my fitness plan.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Platinum member

I have a gas unit with multiple heads... edger, trimmer, and a chain saw on an extension for the palm fronds. For hedges, I have a seperate gas hedge trimmer... I have cut too many extension cords with the electric models. I wouldn't trade gas for anything. Extension cords are a pain in the butt. I have been winding my own but am thinking about buying one of those heads with multiple replacible lines.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Veteran member

I have a Echo with a string trimmer & an edger. Works great. I bought a roll of the string and have rewound a few times. I use about 1 full length (20 feet) about every 2 months or so. I only use the edger every other week.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:32 PM

I recently purchased a Troy-Bilt gas (4 cycle) unit at Lowe's. It came with the string trimmer attachment and I bought an edger attachment. The string trimmer is very easy to reload string without removing the head. And I really like the convenience of using gas without mixing it with oil. I haven't had the unit very long but I would recommend it.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Gold member

if you want the best in quality and not worried about price...stihl is the way to go. costs a tad more but well worth it!
Old 09-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Gold member

I have had exceptional results with Sears products. I currently have a 4 cycle trimmer. No oil to add to gas. Starts the first pull every time. Uses heavy guage trim lines (no spool). You can change the line with the motor running. Best trimmer I have ever owned. Also have a Sears blower/vac, lawn mower and edger (all gas). They carry all the spare parts should you need any. Great support of the products they sell.

I have no connection to Sears except that I like their lawn care products.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.