Favorite things to grow in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Platinum member
Default Favorite things to grow in TV

As I'm temporarily surrounded by snow and icky midwest cold, my mind turns to thoughts of all the 'right plant/right place' plant selections that thrive in TV, in anticipation of my own garden there! (someday soon.)

Any body want to share their thoughts or experiences?

Which plants are you proudest of?
Anything performed better than you expected it to?
Anything take more effort than you think it's worth?
Any plantings you were glad to get rid of?
Any landscape feature that you have now, that you would change if you could?
Anything you dream of obtaining eventually?

Thanks, this is an elixir for me!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 PM

It all depends what they legalize
Old 02-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Veteran member

Uptown Girl,
I'm in the same boat. Surrounded by snow, Rockford, Il., and wishing I was in TV. Soon, I hope! Growing fun things would be so much fun!
Old 02-10-2011, 10:14 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 7,001 Times in 1,201 Posts

The grass is growing
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
As I'm temporarily surrounded by snow and icky midwest cold, my mind turns to thoughts of all the 'right plant/right place' plant selections that thrive in TV, in anticipation of my own garden there! (someday soon.)

Any body want to share their thoughts or experiences?

Which plants are you proudest of?
Anything performed better than you expected it to?
Anything take more effort than you think it's worth?
Any plantings you were glad to get rid of?
Any landscape feature that you have now, that you would change if you could?
Anything you dream of obtaining eventually?

Thanks, this is an elixir for me!
Anything take more effort than you think it's worth? Yes! Those darn cute little Robellini palm trees. They're adorable but shrivel at the first sign of frost. Of course they survive and six months later they look OK. However right now our neighborhood is full of brown Robellinis.

I'm so happy that Mr and Mrs K9 took our two Robellinis and gave them a good home!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Smile

I grow rosemary which makes a great shrub and provides a wonderful fragrance and available spice. I grow basil which does really well, also oregano. Do not try mint except in a pot. It will take over. One small plant and you can't make enough mojitos or mint tea to use even a small % of it. I tried with the mojitos and failed badly.

There are lots of plants and shrubs that used to do great but have not survived well the past couple years. Those that die are getting replaced with things that thrive.

There are several good books on Florida plant and shrubs available that will help.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Veteran member

The petunias, pansies, snapdragons and decorative cabbages have all survived the winter.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
The petunias, pansies, snapdragons and decorative cabbages have all survived the winter.
And knock-out roses.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM
Platinum member

Thanks, your posts are fueling warmth on a chilly afternoon!
Rosemary just may be a shrub I'd especially like.... always missed not being able to grow it here. I'm leaning toward growing ornamentals and perennials over fruits and veggies. I'm even thinking about succulents in place of annuals.
How do Geraniums fare there? Can you just keep them forever, like they do in Italy?

I saw the pictures of Loropetalum shrubs that Pooh posted on another thread and loved those.... wonder if they can be limbed up and used a small tree?

Anybody have a Fragrant Tea Olive?

if we end up with a CYV, I will be limited in space and must make limited choices carefully. When you moved in, did you like what was planted for you to start with?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Girl View Post
When you moved in, did you like what was planted for you to start with?
Unfortunately, I did not like everything that was planted for me. So I ripped out a lot of stuff and planted what I thought would make the house look nice. And most of it died the first winter!!! The landscaper who did the work warned me that some of my selections were cold sensitive, but I did not take it seriously. Bad mistake. Year by year I have watched my neighbors (and me) replace plants that didn't do well with some of those that were already here and got ripped out. So, be careful what you plant. Check the hardiness levels.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Gold member
Default What to plant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Unfortunately, I did not like everything that was planted for me. So I ripped out a lot of stuff and planted what I thought would make the house look nice. And most of it died the first winter!!! The landscaper who did the work warned me that some of my selections were cold sensitive, but I did not take it seriously. Bad mistake. Year by year I have watched my neighbors (and me) replace plants that didn't do well with some of those that were already here and got ripped out. So, be careful what you plant. Check the hardiness levels.
Our landscaper said the watch what TV plants and if you like therm plant 'em. They know what to plant for the weather.
It works.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I want to hear more about the tomatoes! When do you plant, do they need full sun here?
Old 02-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think my banana tree died. My neighbor's banana trees had dozens of tasty bananas this past fall.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default our banana tree is ornamental

and every winter we whack it down and every year it grows back....Maybe yours will sprout a baby also.....Wish ours produced bananas....My folks had those yummy finger bananas, they were great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
I think my banana tree died. My neighbor's banana trees had dozens of tasty bananas this past fall.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.