Fertilizing

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Does it kill weeds? I use the weed & feed stuff.
Milorganite Fertilizer - For Better Results.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Does it kill weeds? I use the weed & feed stuff.
No, but it stinks after application and a couple of watering's. It is an effective deer repellant if applied around garden areas every three or 4 weeks, but who needs that here?
Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
No, but it stinks after application and a couple of watering's. It is an effective deer repellant if applied around garden areas every three or 4 weeks, but who needs that here?

Back "up north" I would toss my dogs crap into the woods next to my property. It kept away the deer.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears..."
George Orwell
Old 11-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Decision made. Tomorrow I'll mow and then apply my fall fertilizer. Don't try to stop me, I'm on a mission from God!
Good luck to you!

And let us know how it goes, I'm curious to find out.
Old 11-02-2019, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

3 weeks later lawn is nice and green
Old 11-02-2019, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
3 weeks later lawn is nice and green
Same here. I'm gonna mow it after lunch.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts
Default My two cents worth-for free

Quote:
I'm wondering if it's too late in the season to add fertilizer to my lawn?
First of all your inquiry does not show the date so too late?

Secondly, you want to know what type of grass you have. Likely, empire zoysia-the thin bladed stuff of St Augustine the courser looking stuff.

Teasing a bit but unfortunately or perhaps fortunately your lawn can't read. Once you discover what type of grass you have you can look up instructions on the internet and or the cooperative extension.

Others have mentioned Milorganite. What is it. It is sewage sludge. The good news it is organic. The bad news is it is mostly nitrogen not in the ratio suggested for either empire zoysia or st. augustine probably better for northern lawns such as Kentucky blue. Also, it contains heavy metals, lead, mercury, arsenic few read but it says not to be used on crops to be eaten.

Others have mentioned fertilizers with weedkillers. Again if you read, all the ones I've read are too high a nitrogen for your empire zoysia or st augustine lawn. Many say do not use on st augustine. Most say do not use if it is above 80 degrees. While your lawn cannot read, if you have st augustine and apply these products in the heat your lawn will be damaged or even killed.

The answer to your question. In central Florida your final application of fertilizer should be October. The reason is doing it later encourages some weeds and fungus.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
First of all your inquiry does not show the date so too late?

Secondly, you want to know what type of grass you have. Likely, empire zoysia-the thin bladed stuff of St Augustine the courser looking stuff.

Teasing a bit but unfortunately or perhaps fortunately your lawn can't read. Once you discover what type of grass you have you can look up instructions on the internet and or the cooperative extension.

Others have mentioned Milorganite. What is it. It is sewage sludge. The good news it is organic. The bad news is it is mostly nitrogen not in the ratio suggested for either empire zoysia or st. augustine probably better for northern lawns such as Kentucky blue. Also, it contains heavy metals, lead, mercury, arsenic few read but it says not to be used on crops to be eaten.

Others have mentioned fertilizers with weedkillers. Again if you read, all the ones I've read are too high a nitrogen for your empire zoysia or st augustine lawn. Many say do not use on st augustine. Most say do not use if it is above 80 degrees. While your lawn cannot read, if you have st augustine and apply these products in the heat your lawn will be damaged or even killed.

The answer to your question. In central Florida your final application of fertilizer should be October. The reason is doing it later encourages some weeds and fungus.
It does show the date of October 6th. It's on the top of my post on the left hand side. It's Zoysia grass and it's doing wonderful on the Sunniland weed and feed I used. My lawn has a reader (me). The bag of weed and feed states it is for ZOYSIA grass.
Closed Thread

Tags
season, add, fertilizer, lawn, wondering

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.