Fertilzing your palm trees

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Default Fertilzing your palm trees

I tell all our customers to fertilize their palms March, July, and November. You do not want to feed your palms or any plants for that matter now during the winter months. Even if the weather is warm out DO NOT FEED ANYTHING.Fertilizing now will just force new growth, and if we get a cold spell the new growth coming out of the plant or trees is very susceptible to damage. ( DON'T FEED ANYTHING UNTIL THE 1ST WEEK OF MARCH ). We are usually safe here in central Florida by then from any hard freezes. Also if you know we have a chance of getting a frost or hard freeze turn your irrigation on the day before and water your entire yard, that will put moisture in the ground which will help warm the soil. Then shut ( YOUR TIMER OFF FOR 2 OR 3 DAYS ). Our cold spells here usually last just 3 days or so. After the bad weather has past, then turn your irrigation back on to it's regular watering schedule. Hope this will help answer your fertilizing questions.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:00 PM

Great information...thank you. I didn't get any of this good information when I ordered two 50lb bags of Lesco Fertilizer and requested that when the Lesco rep drop it off, that he please advise me how to apply it properly. The rep did come by last month and didn't bother to advise me to wait to use it until March (surprise, surprise, they are in the business of selling this stuff and probably don't care if customers use it year round) and just briefly told me to scatter it away from the palm trunks and left.

The very worst part was (and I will advise you and other landscapers to tell this to all your future newbies like myself) Lesco, nor Lesco's rep that came out, never told me that this fertilizer will burn into my decorative walls if these fertilizer pellets get on them! I spent a small fortune on these landscaping walls that circle around my palms and around my entire house. A few days after I fertilzed, there were darks brown spots scattered on the tops of many of them! It wasn't until sprinkler expert Jim Baumgartner came over, that I learned from him where these dark spots came from and he said they could possibly be removed with a grinder. Luckily the top caps of these walls were not glued down so I was able to flip over the majority of these caps, but I still have many that will always be there.

It's a shame that someone in this business would not see my beautiful landscaping walls I just had completed and not take a minute to advise me of what his product was capable of doing to them!

I hope others reading this do not make this same mistake and will take their time scattering and ensuring that these pellets are not left on their landscaping walls. Probably even doing the best you can, these pellets will still run off from the rain, or be blown on the top of these walls and cause this damage, just be aware.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:33 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Ron contributes more helpful info than any other landscaper to the forum
Old 01-26-2015, 08:23 PM

Those dark spots come from the iron in the fertilizer. When you feed your trees and plants make sure you broom off, or blow off any fertilizer from your sidewalks, driveway, or any block wall boarders you have around your beds. I have used muriatic acid to clean any iron spots on the cement, it works good. Just don't over do it, put a small amount of acid on the iron spots and wash it off with water as soon as you see it is gone. Be careful not to breath any fumes, this stuff can take your breath away. You can purchase this acid at any pool supply, T & D pools over by Colony Plaza or on 466 by Bob Evans should have it, and it is very reasonable to purchase.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
Great information...thank you. I didn't get any of this good information when I ordered two 50lb bags of Lesco Fertilizer and requested that when the Lesco rep drop it off, that he please advise me how to apply it properly. The rep did come by last month and didn't bother to advise me to wait to use it until March (surprise, surprise, they are in the business of selling this stuff and probably don't care if customers use it year round) and just briefly told me to scatter it away from the palm trunks and left.

The very worst part was (and I will advise you and other landscapers to tell this to all your future newbies like myself) Lesco, nor Lesco's rep that came out, never told me that this fertilizer will burn into my decorative walls if these fertilizer pellets get on them! I spent a small fortune on these landscaping walls that circle around my palms and around my entire house. A few days after I fertilzed, there were darks brown spots scattered on the tops of many of them! It wasn't until sprinkler expert Jim Baumgartner came over, that I learned from him where these dark spots came from and he said they could possibly be removed with a grinder. Luckily the top caps of these walls were not glued down so I was able to flip over the majority of these caps, but I still have many that will always be there.

It's a shame that someone in this business would not see my beautiful landscaping walls I just had completed and not take a minute to advise me of what his product was capable of doing to them!

I hope others reading this do not make this same mistake and will take their time scattering and ensuring that these pellets are not left on their landscaping walls. Probably even doing the best you can, these pellets will still run off from the rain, or be blown on the top of these walls and cause this damage, just be aware.

Excellent point wrt staining. Sorry to hear about your walls. I still have several spots on my driveway from fertilizing 2 years ago. It should be written on the Lesko bag. Maybe it is and I failed to read it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.