Find landscaper or wait?

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Default Find landscaper or wait?

Closing on our new home Dec 1st.
We won't actually be down there until early Jan.

Do I need to sign up a landscaper Dec 2nd or is there so little growth in Dec that I can wait until the first week in Jan to find someone?

Once down there, I can ask my neighbors who they use, but if I have to sign someone up a month before my arrival, how would I find out which landscapers are already working in the neighborhood?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrentman View Post
Closing on our new home Dec 1st.
We won't actually be down there until early Jan.

Do I need to sign up a landscaper Dec 2nd or is there so little growth in Dec that I can wait until the first week in Jan to find someone?

Once down there, I can ask my neighbors who they use, but if I have to sign someone up a month before my arrival, how would I find out which landscapers are already working in the neighborhood?

Thanks!
We had the same quandary. This is the dormant season, BUT you need to have your sprinklers set to water frequently for your new sod IF you have a new home here.

You could ask your sales agent what to do. He/she might could set your sprinklers and check your lawn.

If you want to know the names of your neighbors, go to the county property appraisal site. (Lake, Marion or Sumter) Find a name of a closeby neighbor and call them. People are usually very helpful to new neighbors here.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-21-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We had the same quandary. This is the dormant season, BUT you need to have your sprinklers set to water frequently for your new sod IF you have a new home here.

You could ask your sales agent what to do. He/she might could set your sprinklers and check your lawn.

If you want to know the names of your neighbors, go to the county property appraisal site. (Lake, Marion or Sumter) Find a name of a closeby neighbor and call them. People are usually very helpful to new neighbors here.
Gracie, dear. There you go again helping just everyone! Somebody ought to leave roses at your home.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Gracie, dear. There you go again helping just everyone! Somebody ought to leave roses at your home.
OH MY GOODNESS.

Old 11-21-2017, 05:32 PM

The lawn is all grown in, so we are going to ask a friend to go there and dial back our sprinklers to water a little less than what the developer was doing.

I did find the names of my neighbors in the DistrictGov.org, but do you know of any way to find their phone number or email address?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:46 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

It should be fine until you arrive. It will be a little shaggy, but definitely shouldn’t be out of control. Do not let your friends adjust your sprinklers. You’ll void what little warranty there is on landscaping if this is a new home purchase. Instead, ask if they’d be willing to contact the contractor who installed the irrigation to come and check the system and adjust the timer as needed. This is something that must be done within thirty days of closing unless you get an extension from Home Warranty. If pre-owned, definitely have your friends adjust as needed.

As to getting info on your neighbors, the best would probably be to have your friends leave a note with occupied homes asking them to contact you. Doubt they’d be particularly appreciative of a stranger contacting, even if claiming to be a new neighbor. If typical villagers, they’ll be knocking in your door almost before you move in.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-21-2017, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Leave the sprinklers as they are. We closed April 27 and I arrived June 30. I had 8 shrubs that were dead. Called warranty sent out irrigation guy still set as was at closing. Warranty dept replaced all the shrubs.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:28 PM

This is a new home and somewhere in the "closing packet" they give you, it definitely implies to change the builder's sprinkler settings, making it sound like they over-water initially.
But I will heed your advice and not do so within the first 30 days until I've had my meeting with the builder and they go over all the systems.
Thanks for warning me about that.

And it sounds like I can probably let the lawn sit for the month of December as long as I hire a landscaper when I get down there on Jan 1st. If I misunderstood everyone's advice about that, please chime in. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Sage

The walk through with the builder is entirely different from the irrigation check. The irrigation must be checked by the installer (a subcontractor — the name should be on the box. Landscape and grass are only covered for thirty days, so the quicker you get them checked, the better. It normally takes less than thirty minutes to have this done. If you can’t get it done before your arrival, call Home Warranty to get an extension of the time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-22-2017, 07:06 AM

Wait Don’t be in a rush to do anything Take your time and look around. We used Village Palm and were very happy but took two years. Don’t use a fly by night.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Does anyone know of landscapers already working in Pine Hill that I can begin looking into?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:06 PM
Sage

Wait til you get down and see who your neighbors use. They do their best work for snowbirds if a neighbor is a frog. Dean’s and Massey’s are both in that area if you’re looking for a full service company. Whatever you do, do NOT even consider Service Smart, no matter how many in your neighborhood are using them nor what promises they make.

BTW, landscapers are those who plant take your plants, design the landscape and the like. Lawn cutters can be full service and take care of cutting grass, adding fertilizer as needed, ground pest control, trimming. You can also hire different companies to take care of your outdoors, which was pretty much the way it used to be here. Now, full service is more common but not necessarily the best way to go in my opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
find, dec, sign, jan, wait

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.