Florida Friendly Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,690 Times in 1,205 Posts
Default Florida Friendly Landscaping

I want to be FFL compliant with the landscaping for my new build so am starting to look at guidelines such as these to discuss during my Design visit.

https://ffl.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/FYN_Pla...Guide_2015.pdf

Community Association & Property Managers Kit - Florida-Friendly Landscaping™ Program - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

Anyone have experience to share related to FFL in the Villages?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:22 AM
Sage

A Villages presentation including the topic.

https://www.districtgov.org/committe...ion-2-2019.pdf
Old 07-16-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,953 Times in 1,706 Posts

Florida friendly plants are a wonderful idea - but I have noticed that very few things are planted in the actual soil around TV. There is a landscape sheet, in a raised bed, and different soil in it or there is mulch and stone. I’d like to know what grows in the natural soil other than the thick stemmed grass that everyone seems to have? I drove around to the surrounding farms and Ocala forest etc to get an idea as to what grows naturally around here. There are these beautiful oaks that grow naturally but I seem to have a palm in front of my house. I’d love to bring back some of the natural plants if the deeds allow it.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Florida friendly plants are a wonderful idea - but I have noticed that very few things are planted in the actual soil around TV. There is a landscape sheet, in a raised bed, and different soil in it or there is mulch and stone. I’d like to know what grows in the natural soil other than the thick stemmed grass that everyone seems to have? I drove around to the surrounding farms and Ocala forest etc to get an idea as to what grows naturally around here. There are these beautiful oaks that grow naturally but I seem to have a palm in front of my house. I’d love to bring back some of the natural plants if the deeds allow it.
I've learned The Villages supports FFL but you do need to plan and have your plan approved as for anything else.

This plant selection guide from the University of Florida has a great deal of info:

https://ffl.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/FYN_Pla...Guide_2015.pdf
Old 07-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I have no idea what species of palm you have in your yard, but there are a few that are native to Florida.

•Everglades Palm / Paurotis Palm. Acoelorrhaphe wrightii
•Florida Silver Palm. Coccothrinax argentata
•Needle Palm. Rhapidophyllum hystrix,
•Royal Palm. Roystonea oleracea
•Cabbage Palm. Sabal palmetto

I've seen Everglades, Needle and Sabal palmetto in The Villages, Sabal palmetto by far the most common. The Royal & Silver would not be cold hardy in TV.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Old 07-16-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage

Yes, I noticed some types of palms were there in the “forest” where there was some sun and they seemed native. I need to do so much more research. I love Central Florida! Such an intriguing place to be.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Keep in mind that vermin love palms.

Yes -- that's where rats make their home!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
In both new homes here we were given the landscaping that comes with which is small at the beginning, but water and wait 18 months and see how fast it grows. Also talk to long time or native Floridians before you add palms or change anything. The original landscaping that came with our home is still growing and doing well after eight years, has weathered all conditions, super hot, frost, drought.... and I personally think it's lovely.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9282.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	80188  

Last edited by graciegirl; 07-16-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:24 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,688 Times in 3,601 Posts

Many Villagers use Florida Friendly Plants.

I used them once, but did not inhale.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM
Sage

Good to know about rats, not among my favorites. My house is 12 years old but I’m not sure how old the landscaping is. It needs to be redone though as the people I bought it from had left it some time ago.

Gracie, your house looks wonderful!

If it’s that kind of plant maybe inhaling is a good idea, the less the other people have to smell it...

Last edited by Velvet; 07-16-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

14 years 11 palms 0 rats.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I like those stats.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post

Zero rats that you know about makes one wonder how many of them are there that you don't know about???
They mostly come out at night and like it or not, they are there, even if they're just occasionally visiting.

Generally speaking, they're mostly in the palm trees unless they're in your attic.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Zero rats that you know about makes one wonder how many of them are there that you don't know about???
They mostly come out at night and like it or not, they are there, even if they're just occasionally visiting.

Generally speaking, they're mostly in the palm trees unless they're in your attic.
That sounds like a great reason for anyone with an attic to have palms. Keeps the rats out of their attics.

Meanwhile, you can find all you seek right here:

Native Plants - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post

We are active gardeners so are out in our yard very frequently. Have never seen any or evidence that there are rats in our palms.
Nothing in the attic either.
I think you are making too much about nothing.

Tags
ffl, landscaping, design, visit, discuss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.