Florida Friendly Landscaping

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2019, 06:00 PM
Arrow My Comments are Based on Facts, Not Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Zero rats that you know about makes one wonder how many of them are there that you don't know about???
They mostly come out at night and like it or not, they are there, even if they're just occasionally visiting.

Generally speaking, they're mostly in the palm trees unless they're in your attic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
We are active gardeners so are out in our yard very frequently. Have never seen any or evidence that there are rats in our palms.
Nothing in the attic either.
I think you are making too much about nothing.
You and your wife may be active gardeners but that has nothing to do with whether or not you have rats in and/or around your house.
In addition, unless you are doing your gardening at night, you WON'T see any rats!
And pray tell -- what kind of rat evidence are you looking for that you have not found?

If they are in your attic or walls, etc., you probably won't see them but probably will hear them.

For your information, I'm not making up "much ado about nothing."
I speak from experience and education.
What are your credentials for not believing me???

Palm rats are also known as roof rats, citrus rats, black rats, and ship rats belong to the Muridae family of the rodent species.
They are found more commonly in areas with a tropical climate, and they are climbers.
These pests like to nest above the ground in trees, especially the palm tree, thus earning their unique name.
Their main food source is fruit.

Alford Wildlife & Pest | SWFL Wildlife & Pest Control
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

Go to University of Florida site
IFAS dot UFL dot EDU

Then, search Palm Tree Rats

There’s more info there than I could cut and paste. Sad to say, they love palm trees. They also love citrus. They are not the same type of rat one finds in urban areas. They don’t necessarily want to get into your home. They love fruit produced by palms and palms provide them cozy shelter. I’ve had them run in front of my cart on golf cart paths. When we had our Sylvester trimmed, the workers found a nest of them. Sorry, guys, they’re everywhere—even if you never see one.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Florida friendly plants are a wonderful idea - but I have noticed that very few things are planted in the actual soil around TV. There is a landscape sheet, in a raised bed, and different soil in it or there is mulch and stone. I’d like to know what grows in the natural soil other than the thick stemmed grass that everyone seems to have? I drove around to the surrounding farms and Ocala forest etc to get an idea as to what grows naturally around here. There are these beautiful oaks that grow naturally but I seem to have a palm in front of my house. I’d love to bring back some of the natural plants if the deeds allow it.

I may be wrong but it sounds like you are interested in Native Plants. Not all Florida friendly plants are native. If you google FNPS, you can drill down to the Villages chapter. Or search TV Recreation Guide. They have at least one meeting per month. I believe it’s Friday afternoon at the Rec center close to Pinellas Plaza. Big Cypress maybe? If you go to a meeting, you’ll meet many like minded folks who are happy to share their knowledge (and sometimes plants). They can also help you get started and jump through the administrative hoops to get a plan approved. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
You and your wife may be active gardeners but that has nothing to do with whether or not you have rats in and/or around your house.
In addition, unless you are doing your gardening at night, you WON'T see any rats!
And pray tell -- what kind of rat evidence are you looking for that you have not found?

If they are in your attic or walls, etc., you probably won't see them but probably will hear them.

For your information, I'm not making up "much ado about nothing."
What are your credentials for not believing me???

Palm rats are also known as roof rats, citrus rats, black rats, and ship rats belong to the Muridae family of the rodent species.
They are found more commonly in areas with a tropical climate, and they are climbers.
These pests like to nest above the ground in trees, especially the palm tree, thus earning their unique name.
Their main food source is fruit.

Alford Wildlife & Pest | SWFL Wildlife & Pest Control
Sorry I don't need your lecture...………………..
Old 07-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Sorry I don't need your lecture...………………..

See post 17.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
See post 17.
Appreciate your reference. I have read that in the past. Still doesn't mean every palm has a rat.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,705 Posts

To make sure that no rats etc climb the palms in Hawaii they use an 8 inch or so band of thin metal wrap around the tree.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:56 AM

Have heard this story for a long time, along with pine straw is full of bugs, moss is full of chiggers and Elvis is alive living on Mars. If rats are everywhere why after 2 years of having bait stations around my house have I not found one of the deadly hoard around my house. By the way if you have rats or mice one of the biggest signs are droppings everywhere.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Like it or not, every palm tree has a rat/rats at one time or another.
I think our double sylvester palm and our queen palm probably have rats.
They are probably happily living on the fruit from the double sylvester.
I don't see them, so I don't care.
I don't think rats are a problem unless they get into the attic and chew wires, are they?
Old 07-18-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Bubonic plague... ok this year that was in Mongolia. They are filthy, disease carrying pests and scare the heck out of me. I’m ok with squirrels who are rats in fur, though.
Rats don't bother me at all, as long as they stick to their trees, or are the domesticated variety some folks keep as pets (or feed to their snakes). Chipmunks, on the other hand, are evil. They have burrowed holes through the foundation in our northern home and are now living between the concrete wall of our basement and the dirt under our back yard. They have burrowed into our concrete front stairs and built nests inside the burrow. They come out to the first step after I get the mail and yell at me, daring me to come back up and inside the house.

I usually just walk around the back instead.

Evil evil evil. Rats - timid little critters, they mostly keep to themselves and avoid contact with people. Chipmunks are bold and sassy and in-your-face and know they are the boss of you!
Old 07-18-2019, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

My biggest problem with the palm tree that we inherited with our current house is that it is getting so tall I can't find anyone to climb it and trim it. My husband doesn't know it yet, but I am going to lobby to have it taken out and replaced with a nice crepe myrtle. We are not there year-round. Apparently the palm tree fruits when we're gone.
Old 07-18-2019, 03:37 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My biggest problem with the palm tree that we inherited with our current house is that it is getting so tall I can't find anyone to climb it and trim it. My husband doesn't know it yet, but I am going to lobby to have it taken out and replaced with a nice crepe myrtle. We are not there year-round. Apparently the palm tree fruits when we're gone.

Bingo! The rats are nothing to be scared of or in denial about. Like you, we’ve found it to be very difficult maintaining palms. After a lot of coaxing, DH finally relented and we had 4 removed. It’s a great relief. No more calls from house watch telling us pods have formed or the palms are touching the house. I love palms—but don’t want to own them.
Old 07-18-2019, 04:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I understand from Post 17 that a palm rat can live happily in a palm tree eating the fruit.
Palm rats don't necessarily want to get into your attic.
I can live with that, rather than cutting our double sylvester down.
I agree. I would never remove a tree because there might be a rat in it. This is Florida
Old 07-19-2019, 02:50 AM

I realize this is a thread about plants, but I must ask... how are rats getting into ones attic?
Closed Thread

Tags
ffl, landscaping, design, visit, discuss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.