Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Gardens

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
A vegetable garden in the front yard of TV would not look too good. Plant flowers instead.
Though, a flowering herb garden would be awesome in a modest-sized front lawn's flowerbed. Lemon balm, mints, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and more. Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and repels mosquitoes, aphids, and ants. And smells amazing. And - all edible.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:48 PM
Veteran member

Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb
Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps I avoid the landscaping forum at my peril, but the majority of comments here are from people who prefer that someone else take care of their yard work, full stop. I can't see many people, freed from restrictions, planting and caring for large veg gardens.

There are interesting legal niceties: Would the description of "local governments" override HOA requirements in individual neighborhoods? Even if TV is legally considered to be a "county, municipality, or other political subdivision," does TV enact its own "local ordinances or regulations" or does it merely (semi-randomly) enforce deed restrictions?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Though, a flowering herb garden would be awesome in a modest-sized front lawn's flowerbed. Lemon balm, mints, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and more. Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and repels mosquitoes, aphids, and ants. And smells amazing. And - all edible.
We have several herbs planted in our front garden, well away from the road, and the neighbors have been told to help themselves.

If you have a garden service, ask them not to spray insecticide etc. on the plants.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

Haven’t read the bill but deed restrictions should definitely override the planting of a front yard garden in a deed restricted community. There may be such provisions in the bill. If you have a back yard, why would you plant a garden in your front yard anyway? As they say, “don’t worry bout it”.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Haven’t read the bill but deed restrictions should definitely override the planting of a front yard garden in a deed restricted community. There may be such provisions in the bill. If you have a back yard, why would you plant a garden in your front yard anyway? As they say, “don’t worry bout it”.
I so enjoy your sane posts.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
...deed restrictions should definitely override the planting of a front yard garden in a deed restricted community.
Deed restrictions against having solar panels and washing lines were made null and void by similar enactments a few years ago, so maybe not.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Mint and Lemon Balm?
Those two are best kept in a container, unless you are in favor of world domination.
A pair of thugs if let loose in a garden.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Gee I wonder who will plant the first corn maze ?
Old 04-18-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Since it's been so hard for me to find someone that can stay ahead of my weeds...I'm gonna plant wheat & soybeans.

Might as well make a few bucks off of my front yard...instead of constantly paying to maintain it.

Old 04-18-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the man View Post
Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb
Not if they are in cans.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Sun exposure.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Well anyone who's interested (for serious) can learn how to grow a good looking AND functional vegetable garden here:
Vegetable Gardening in Florida Series - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

and regardless of the law, the deed restrictions still do allow you to have potted plants. You can grow small quantities of edible plants in decorative pots, the same website has a page dedicated to it here: Harvest as You Grow Container Gardening - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

While some might catch a complaint from a neighbor if it was growing in the flower bed on the front lawn, I'm thinking a sunny spot on the lanai wouldn't violate anything at all for a pot containing a grape tomato plant, and a couple of flowering basil plants growing in pots beside it.
You can grow in pots now.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,706 Posts

I planted Italian tomatoes at the back in the city once, they turned out delicious but also attracted a great number of wasps. My family always had a “kitchen garden”, herbs and spices and that did not attract insects, shallots and garlic actually repelled them.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
Perhaps I avoid the landscaping forum at my peril, but the majority of comments here are from people who prefer that someone else take care of their yard work, full stop. I can't see many people, freed from restrictions, planting and caring for large veg gardens.

There are interesting legal niceties: Would the description of "local governments" override HOA requirements in individual neighborhoods? Even if TV is legally considered to be a "county, municipality, or other political subdivision," does TV enact its own "local ordinances or regulations" or does it merely (semi-randomly) enforce deed restrictions?
No HOA in The Villages......

Tags
gardens, florida, properties.”, residential, “such

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.