Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Gardens

Florida Lifts Ban on Front-Yard Gardens

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Tulips don’t grow here.
I was just going to say the same thing. They have to have COLD, COLD, weather.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:50 PM
Gold member

This is a very interesting development. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2019, 04:51 PM

Good, now I can plant weeds, that's the only thing that I can grow anyway.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

Well anyone who's interested (for serious) can learn how to grow a good looking AND functional vegetable garden here:
Vegetable Gardening in Florida Series - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

and regardless of the law, the deed restrictions still do allow you to have potted plants. You can grow small quantities of edible plants in decorative pots, the same website has a page dedicated to it here: Harvest as You Grow Container Gardening - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

While some might catch a complaint from a neighbor if it was growing in the flower bed on the front lawn, I'm thinking a sunny spot on the lanai wouldn't violate anything at all for a pot containing a grape tomato plant, and a couple of flowering basil plants growing in pots beside it.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

A vegetable garden in the front yard of TV would not look too good. Plant flowers instead.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
A vegetable garden in the front yard of TV would not look too good. Plant flowers instead.
Though, a flowering herb garden would be awesome in a modest-sized front lawn's flowerbed. Lemon balm, mints, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and more. Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and repels mosquitoes, aphids, and ants. And smells amazing. And - all edible.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:48 PM

Do you think the rain will hurt the rhubarb
Old 04-18-2019, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps I avoid the landscaping forum at my peril, but the majority of comments here are from people who prefer that someone else take care of their yard work, full stop. I can't see many people, freed from restrictions, planting and caring for large veg gardens.

There are interesting legal niceties: Would the description of "local governments" override HOA requirements in individual neighborhoods? Even if TV is legally considered to be a "county, municipality, or other political subdivision," does TV enact its own "local ordinances or regulations" or does it merely (semi-randomly) enforce deed restrictions?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Though, a flowering herb garden would be awesome in a modest-sized front lawn's flowerbed. Lemon balm, mints, thyme, rosemary, oregano, and more. Attracts butterflies, hummingbirds, honeybees, and repels mosquitoes, aphids, and ants. And smells amazing. And - all edible.
We have several herbs planted in our front garden, well away from the road, and the neighbors have been told to help themselves.

If you have a garden service, ask them not to spray insecticide etc. on the plants.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Sage

Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle

Haven’t read the bill but deed restrictions should definitely override the planting of a front yard garden in a deed restricted community. There may be such provisions in the bill. If you have a back yard, why would you plant a garden in your front yard anyway? As they say, “don’t worry bout it”.

Tags
gardens, florida, properties.”, residential, “such