Flower bed edging material

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts
Question Flower bed edging material

I have been admiring the beautiful edging that many homeowners have installed to outline their flower beds. This edging material appears to be concrete but I'm not sure. It actually looks like a stamped concrete and comes in a variety of colors. It makes beautiful curvy lines for the flower beds and every property I have seen that has this edging material looks like the edging was professionally installed.

Now the questions...
Is this edging made out of concrete? If not, what is it made of?
Can the homeowner install it or is it only installed by professionals?
Is this edging material anchored in anyway in the ground (such as stakes that are attached to the edging)
Where can it be purchased?
How much does it cost per linear foot?
How many different colors does it come in? (I've seen red, brown, beige, dark grey or maybe it's black. Did I miss any colors?)
The shape of this edging looks like the lawn mowers can roll over them and cut the grass right up to the edging. It looks as though the horizontal weed wackers are not necessary to keep the grass manicured right up against this material. I would imagine the verticle edging still needs to be done, however.

Thanks for any information.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-29-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage

Yes, it is concrete curbing ... many local vendors and landscapers can install it. Kwik Kerb and Curb-it are two brands that are installed by several contractors. The concrete and tinting are done in a mixer then a machine "pours" this in a rounded shape. They dig out the grass/dirt first, pour it down, shape it, put a pattern stamp on top of it, some other magic dust that creates an effect on top of the tint then seal it.

Cost may well depend on how much you need to have done. We had a relatively small area (only about 65 linear ft) and prices were all over the place. Small jobs could be about $4/linear foot; larger jobs may be less per linear foot.

Not a DIY project, in my opinion.

colors are many...even more than you listed;

Yes they are shaped to be mower friendly.

A reputable contractor can fill in all the other details for you. If you interested, I'll be happy to PM you the name/number of the guy who did ours. He is a Marion County firefighter that does this as a side business... did a great job at a fair price.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I used the same person as village07. Don Pope I think his name was. Search on Kwik Kerb and you will find it. Or go to their web site. I would also recommend him as he did a great job at a fair price. I had about 350 feet installed.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

I can always depend on the folks who visit this forum to offer great information. Thank you both for your responses and recommendation.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.