Fruit trees

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2019, 04:32 PM
Default Fruit trees

Hello,

Has anyone grown fruit trees in their yard? I was wondering what the positives and negatives were of owning fruit trees. Thanks.

Loren
Old 06-09-2019, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our neighbors have citrus trees. When the are here it’s great what they don’t use they put a basket out and a free sign. But when the trees are still bearing fruit and owners are gone, the ripe fruit drops, and rots. It’s a mess
Old 06-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Would bet that they can attract lotsa critters - some desirable and some not!

Old 06-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Our neighbors have citrus trees. When the are here it’s great what they don’t use they put a basket out and a free sign. But when the trees are still bearing fruit and owners are gone, the ripe fruit drops, and rots. It’s a mess.
Yep...
Old 06-09-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Our neighbors have citrus trees. When the are here it’s great what they don’t use they put a basket out and a free sign. But when the trees are still bearing fruit and owners are gone, the ripe fruit drops, and rots. It’s a mess

If the owners are gone, I'm surprised that neighbors just don't help themselves. I certainly would!

Also, don't they have someone taking care of their yard? You would think their lawn person would take care of picking up what's fallen to the ground.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
If the owners are gone, I'm surprised that neighbors just don't help themselves. I certainly would!

Also, don't they have someone taking care of their yard? You would think their lawn person would take care of picking up what's fallen to the ground.

We had two fruit trees (grapefruit & a lime) when we moved in... but got rid of them after a year.

Not only won't the lawn cutters pick the fallen ones up (nor be expected to), but we couldn't get rid of them to the neighbors fast enough and inevitably (even on a week trip)...there would be fruit on the ground.

It got old.

The fruit is also attractive to undesirable 'critters'...so we decided to get rid of them.

The neighbor in back, who we told could have as much as she wanted, anytime she wanted (she didn't even come close to keeping up with the production), actually became angry and asked me..."why did you cut down those trees?"

I was in shock at the accusatory tone and said..."because it was on my property and chose to."

She's moved and other neighbors have since told me similar stories...of the piece of work that she really was.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I have a lime tree that bears fruit every other year. With all the vodka/gin and tonic, rum and coke, and Margarita drinkers in the neighborhood no lime has ever hit the ground.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default My opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifred123 View Post
Hello,

Has anyone grown fruit trees in their yard? I was wondering what the positives and negatives were of owning fruit trees. Thanks.

Loren
Your question does not say enough for a valid reply. A fruit tree is sort of like getting a pet. I will feed it, spray it, prune it etc. and then the one who promissed to walk the tree gets tired of it.
It has a long life, assuming you don't kill it and it needs room.
In fact many fruit trees require that you plant two different varieties for cross pollination. A dwarf fruit tree tends to bear fruit sooner than a full size tree which can take several years to mature enough to bear fruit.
Before you buy and plant a tree be sure to read if it is proper for our climate-cold days required, water, soil type and how low a temperature can it take.
You might want to consider blackberries, blue berries, straw berries, tomatoes, etc.
Suggested by others -animals. I am growing blueberries. My plants after 4 years are producing well. Fruit at least what we get to eat is a race to beat the birds

Read before you buy. Many of the garden centers and the box stores sell plants that are not suited to our growing conditions.

You are welcome to send me a PM if you want instructions on blueberries.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

Will attract rodents
Old 06-10-2019, 04:42 PM

I can't eat grocery store citrus. Big difference (to me) when fruit is tree ripened.
ANYONE with a tree that needs tended of good citrus fruit to keep it off the ground...
PLEASE PM ME!
Old 06-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Now the facts... ALL the box stores get the potted citrus from Record Buck Nursery, just south of Leesburg. A longtime and reputable grower.

There is probably another citrus tree close enough to pollenate your tree. Bees fly.

Buy a large tree( 30 gallons is best ) so you get plenty of good soil with the tree and have fruit immediately.
Get it from Home Depot or Lowes, it will have a great guarantee that way.

Have the absolute best horticulturist you can find pick your tree and plant it.
If they can't show you a couple dozen or more citrus trees they planted over the years , keep
calling landscapers, there are a few of us around that have worked in citrus nurseries, citrus groves and
took classes in high school from the real master of agriculture and horticulture in
this neck of the woods , Eddie Boston.

Oak trees, ornamental grasses on the golf courses, ponds, drainage systems, all attract rodents .. ALL the TIME
Citrus trees would only attract them to fallen fruit, that they will pick up, and leave with.

Good luck, and don't worry about the naysayers, they always speak loudly and early.

Last edited by Ozzello; 06-10-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Default Fruit trees

Out here in southern Arizona, we've had 3 fruit trees, orange, grapefruit and lemon. We gave up on them because we had to cover them when we had hard freezes which we did. One reason we're considering TV. Also, our local food bank will accept picked fruit and sometimes send volunteers to pick the trees.
Closed Thread

Tags
fruit, trees, positives, negatives, loren

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.