Fruit Trees and Gardening in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Gold member
Default Fruit Trees and Gardening in TV?

Hi All,

Instead of starting a new thread I just added the words Gardening into the subject line. Hope that is okay with both of you, Sue and Tom. If not, just remove the word.

In some communities they have gardening plots you rent for the season. In our area it is called Gardens for Nutrition. Perhaps there can be an area like that in TV. That way all tools needed for gardening are shared and no one has to buy their own set.

If we do this, and for those who have planted zucchini plants will know what I mean, how many zucchini plants shall we plant?

There is also an Exotic Fruit Club, a former student of my husband is the President of, where we can get assistance from.

To all of you - a wonderful growing season.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Default Re: Fruit Trees and Gardening in TV?

Thanks for starting this thread. I will be returning to TV soon and would love to participate in a garden club. What is the growing season there anyway?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 PM
Gold member

Hi,

From what I understand all year round, depending on what you want to grow.

HB
Old 01-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have the world's worst (or is that best?) black thumb this side of the planet Saturn. Therefore, I will happily be the taster of anything grown (except eggplant) and, of course, will take surplus fruits and veggies off your hands once ripe.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-05-2008, 02:39 AM
Gold member

Red, what can I say? Can I have seconds?

I also have a black thumb so when anything grows I am absolutely in seventh heaven. I have never had a problem with zucchini - or any bug that can kill a plant.

HB
Old 01-05-2008, 02:52 AM
Platinum member

One of my neighbors is an avid gardener who got an infection supposedly from the grey (irrigation) water. When I heard the story, I wondered if you can get an infection from the grey water, how healthy could it be to use if for edible fruits and vegetables? Am I missing something here or does the tree filter the water on the way up the trunk? George
Old 01-05-2008, 03:34 AM
Gold member

Hi HB,
Just to let you know I think this is all great. A gardening thread is certainly something that I think many will be interested in. The title is fine. I'm not that territorial. I will visit this thread from time to time but probably won't get too into it until I have the ground to plant in TV. Thanks for setting this up, I didn't know we could do this.
Only one correction I would like to make, my name is not Sue. No problem just didn't want to become Sue at this stage of my life.
Did you check out the two resources I mentioned?
Looking forward to gardening with you,
Susan
Old 01-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

gryoung,
From my understanding of the use of grey/gray water it should be used only for ornamental & landscape vegetation gray water cannot be used for food plants (with the exception of citrus and nut trees). Even then filtration is important. Check out these sites:

http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_s...r_gardens.html
http://interests.caes.uga.edu/drough...es/gwlands.htm
http://ag.arizona.edu/yavapai/anr/ho...water2006.html
www.superiorwatersupplies.com click on products & the click on BRAC Water Recycling
Old 01-05-2008, 12:04 PM

There is a garden in TV for a food pantry that volunteers take care of. In the town where we used to live we could get a small plot of land for free to plant a garden. We needed to pay to have it tilled but was not much. It would be neat if TV had some unused land we could plant on. Even if there was a small charge it would be OK.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Gold member

Punkpup,

Thank you for that info. I had thought to plant some veggies in areas that are automatically watered by the irrigation system. Now I will not.

HB
Old 01-05-2008, 02:36 PM

This is very interesting. And a little disturbing. Does anyone know more about the actual Villages gray water, what's in it, where it comes from, etc.? I didn't realize until recently that our sprinkler systems are connected to a different type of water than our home systems.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Gold member

I thought I was told that the irrigation water came from the over flow ponds. Guess that was erroneous info.

HB
Old 01-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Platinum member

Irrigation water comes from the storm sewers in the street and in backyards, as well as, from surface runoff. So, it has the potential to be contaminated with chemicals people might use to etch their driveways, polish the car, and yes lawn fertilizer and insecticides. While it's filtered before being recycled, it's not potable water by any measure. George
Old 01-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Gold member

George, thank you for the clarification.

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 01-05-2008, 05:08 PM

We need to recycle water. If not we will run out and really be in trouble. Call and ask about the water so you know for sure what it should be used for. We live north and don't have the gray water so not up on the info.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.