Getting rid of snails

Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Default Getting rid of snails

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of snails? They seem to have taken a particular liking to my newly planted petunias. I know beer works on slugs but is there a home remedy or commerial product that will stop the snails from noshing on my petunias?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
Dancing Thyme

Coming from the "snail" capital of the country, Los Angeles, I can tell you from experience, it is a very hard problem to overcome totally but you can with a lot of dedication.

a) beer didn't have enough strength to reduce the population so I resorted to a snail killer that we bought at Home Depot, which is a liquid, can't remember the name, but its a dark, gooey, liquid that instantly kills the snails upon contact. Even at that, they populate by the hundreds, so you need to be dedicated to using this poison.

b) also, do some research, there are some plants/flowers that the snails are more prone to liking. I'd stay away from those plants in particular.

Good Luck, and I must admit that I never was "snail-less" in LA...

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
Gold member

Most home and garden centers sell Slug and Snail Bait which is spread around the plants in pellet form. Just sprinkle it around the plants every few weeks and the snails/slugs will eat the bait and die. They seem to prefer the bait over the plants.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Wink

Thanks for the tips. Off to the home and garden center I go!! Hate to use poisons but love my flowering plants especially at this time of year so I will yield my aversion and try a commercial product. Just hope I don't come back in the next life as a snail.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladylake1 View Post
Thanks for the tips. Off to the home and garden center I go!! Hate to use poisons but love my flowering plants especially at this time of year so I will yield my aversion and try a commercial product. Just hope I don't come back in the next life as a snail.
Very cute....

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Sage

The product Kathie is thinking of is Deadline. And it works great. One advantage is that it doesn't wash away easily from rain or irrigation. I used it extensively in San Diego because of the agapanthus in my yard. I started calling the plant a snail condo because of all the snails that lived in it.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Sage

OOORRRR- you could call chef pierre. He'll show up once a week with a saute pan , some white wine, and a pound of butter.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM

OK Mulligan. Give me his number but he'll have to come over more than once a week. Hope he doesn't charge extra for that!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.