Gravel Yard

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Default Gravel Yard

I read the Deed Restrictions and in my opinion they are vague. Can you put gravel, rock in your yard instead of sod? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to hire something done that we can do ourselves. Just need to get there first.
When we bought our house in Jan. the house had sat empty for 4 years and the yard was horrible. We tried putting seed down didn't do any good, having problems with irrigation system and will not be there for a couple of months. someone turned us into the "violation committee" for dead grass. We will get irrigation system fixed when we get there. We are "snowbirds" so only there a few months at a time. TIA

Last edited by cndlou3; 10-28-2017 at 02:59 PM. Reason: deleting
Old 10-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Contact the folks at Community Standards. They can answer all of your questions.

VCDD Community Standards
Old 10-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
I read the Deed Restrictions and in my opinion they are vague. Can you put gravel, rock in your yard instead of sod? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking to hire something done that we can do ourselves. Just need to get there first.

When we bought our house in Jan. the house had sat empty for 4 years and the yard was horrible. We tried putting seed down didn't do any good, having problems with irrigation system and will not be there for a couple of months. someone turned us into the "violation committee" for dead grass. We will get irrigation system fixed when we get there. We are "snowbirds" so only there a few months at a time. TIA

Do your neighbors a favor and fix this problem ASAP. It is YOUR responsibility. If you were my neighbor I’d being calling weekly !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 11:46 AM

If you live there full time do you have a landscaper or do it yourself?!?!
Old 10-28-2017, 12:01 PM

It isn't like the whole yard is dead! it is a small section of it near the street, i was trying to get some suggestions not get bashed!! it isn't like we are trying to avoid the problem, We are not millionaires by no means and I am not going to hire someone to fix the problem when we can. Trust me I want a beautiful yard! I am rather picky about my yard at my "full time" home. I was trying to find a solution for now. It was probably a troll that complained. Yes life is tough & to short! If someone has a helpful solution feel free to comment if not stay off of my post please & thank you
Old 10-28-2017, 12:25 PM
Platinum member

Different neighborhoods have different codes. In my deed restrictions it states that 50% of the yard must be sodded.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cndlou3 View Post
If you live there full time do you have a landscaper or do it yourself?!?!

I do it myself BECAUSE I live here full time. When I was part time I hired people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 12:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, the answer to your question is it depends on where you live, and if your house is a villa. There different requirements in different locations, so as mentioned previously, call ARC ask the question. They will probably tell you to submit a form for ARC review. I just found out that we need to fill out a form to change the existing MULCH to STONE. I was at the office picking up a previously submitted form and just asked the question, so I am sure stoning a lawn (or part of a lawn) will require review.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

You could hire somebody to fix your irrigation system, and the small part of your yard that is having the problem would probably grow back.

Wiotte is not a troll,and he probably could have said it less strenuously, but he does have a point. Our neighbors on a corner lot across the street were feuding with TV over what they thought was a compacted ground problem causing their lawn problem, and wanted TV to replace their lawn. To that end, they let it die and wrapped yellow tape around the whole yard with empty milk cartons tied to stakes-- why, I have no idea. They left it that way for over three months. We finally complained to deed compliance' because that was our view, and it was a total eyesore.

In the end, they had to replace their lawn and add more sprinklers ( which was actually the original problem that they wouldn't agree to).

You are not going to win friends in your neighborhood by letting this go. And eventually you will incur fines. There are honest landscapers and sprinkler repair people in TV. You can do a search on this site to find them.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:59 PM

If you’re not here full time I’m guessing you must have someone cutting you lawn. Why wouldn’t you ask them to help resolve the issue.
Old 10-28-2017, 02:17 PM

Thank you,
Old 10-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Trust me I do not want to break the rules am not trying to. I want a beautiful yard. I do not understand why people have to be so Nasty! I was merely trying to find out if rocking a yard was acceptable. I have spoke with the CDD about the problem and explained the problem and told them it will be taken care of asap. for being the friendliest hometown not so much
Old 10-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran member

On this site the simplest question seems to get you flamed. Listen to the Tinkers advice no flaming there and forget the others.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:36 PM

Sounds like your gravel idea may be a good one. Be creative with it, have swirls, circles, waves to not look boring. Run it by the committee if your area requires it and start something trendly on the block. Often problems can be opportunities to create something unique and fun.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:40 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

You will have to contact the experts at Deed Compliance for a definitive answer if you can't understand the deed restrictions that you signed off on when you purchased. In general, the Southwest Florida Water Management Agency had declared that 100% stone yards are no longer allowed because thay had an adverse impact on our aquifer. At one time, 100% stone was allowed in certain areas but no longer. Call the experts, get definitive and accurate information, then address the problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
yard, months, irrigation, system, gravel

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.