Gripe or no gripe?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2018, 02:07 PM
Veteran member
Default Gripe or no gripe?

A few months ago we hired a landscaper to replace mulch with stone and put in some landscape block walls. We also asked that a small palm tree be planted. Being a snowbird I didn’t know anything about palms but I guess I should have looked into this first. The landscaper didn’t give us any information about different types of palm trees and planted a small robellini. We arrived here on New Year’s Eve and since then I learned that robellini’s are susceptible to frost. We have been covering it on freezing nights but the leaves are turning brown. I’m thinking the landscaper should have given us options as to what type of palm should be planted. If that was done we would have chosen the hardiest plant. Agree or disagree?
Old 01-14-2018, 02:44 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

You have to take some responsibility
Old 01-14-2018, 02:53 PM
Platinum member

you might be able to save it:

How to Care for a Frozen Robellini Palm | Garden Guides
Old 01-14-2018, 02:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
I learned that robellini’s are susceptible to frost. If that was done we would have chosen the hardiest plant. Agree or disagree?
Yes, if the Landscaper knew that you're away in the winter, he should have suggested a frost-hardy plant.
However if you had googled robellini, you would have realized that they are susceptible to frost.
Many people love having a robelli despite their vulnerability. Some people use warming lights.
Perhaps your Landscaper thought you'd have no problem with covering it during frosty nights??

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-15-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:29 PM
fw102807

You gave him carte blanche and a robellini is a very suitable ornamental palm seen everywhere in the villages. You should have been more specific in your request.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The leaves being brown are an indication the leaves have been affected by the frost/cold temps. Unless the heart of the plant was hard frozen, there is a very good chance it will come back and put out new leaves when the weather warms up.

We used to cover ours....14 years ago....now too tall to reach.....still going strong after 14 years and some pretty cold temps over the years.

Cut off the dead fronds and hope for the best.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The leaves being brown are an indication the leaves have been affected by the frost/cold temps. Unless the heart of the plant was hard frozen, there is a very good chance it will come back and put out new leaves when the weather warms up.

We used to cover ours....14 years ago....now too tall to reach.....still going strong after 14 years and some pretty cold temps over the years.

Cut off the dead fronds and hope for the best.
From the link above................
Wait until all signs of frosts and freezes have left your region before treating or pruning the robellini palm. Pruning the palm before the weather warms will result in further and more severe injury if another frost or freeze occurs.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:15 AM
Veteran member

Ok I guess I should take some responsibility for the robellini. There are actually quite a few in my courtyard villa, most getting a bit brown. Another resident told me that they usually do better with the walls surrounding the complex.

Another Question - I saw a YouTube video that showed the proper way to wrap a palm for frost. It showed that draping a covering over the whole plant is not the way to do it. Tightly wrapping the center of the plant on the trunk from where the fronds emerge to a couple feet below is what you should do. Is that the preferred way you do it?
Closed Thread

Tags
planted, palm, landscaper, didn’t, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.