Growing Bougainvillea?

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Gold member

I agreee with CSilvestrucci - be careful what you wish for. I do think a villa wall is a perfect place for it, especially if you can enjoy the view from your lanai. Don't plant one, though, if you have young grandchildren, or expect to. I'm serious - those thorns are huge and could put eyes out.

I had planted a small (cheap from Walmart) one on my lamppost the year before. It was really taking off when I decided that was a really dumb place to plant it (it gets too big), and pulled, cut and dug it out when it was still pretty small - huge tap root as someone else said.

I have really sandy soil and was able to get it all out - at least it hasn't come back in about a year (although maybe I should check again).

I forgot to say that the Recreation News has info on the plant seminars - that's where I got it. On page 1 of the current issue. There's a link to Recreation News on TheVillages.com or Thevillagesdailysun.com
Old 10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
Default Keep it in a pot

The plant stays under control that way
Old 10-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran member

If anything is going to destroy my marriage it is the #$@% BV (with thorns!) in our courtyard! My husband loves it and I just can't kill it. It has "died" twice and been cut back to the ground, and twice resurrected. The Thing is truly evil -- beautiful, but evil.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 10-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Default pots on wheels

I have noticed some bougainvillea growing in large pots on wheels. It looks like they roll them inside when it gets really cold.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have noticed some bougainvillea growing in large pots on wheels. It looks like they roll them inside when it gets really cold.
I grow plumeria in pots on my lanai. They are also on wheels. If we get temps below 40, I roll them up against the house wall, cover them with frost blankets, and put a light bulb on under the cover. I protects them overnight and I can run them back out into the sun the next day.

BTW, my avatar is a bloom from one of my plants. Princess Victoria is the name.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:14 AM

I saw last week in one backyard the most gorgeous bouganvillea. I am having my landscaping done next month and I've learned that they will die in winter but will come back in spring. So I am having a pair in front of my house.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.