Hardy small plant recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsommer330 View Post
We brought a pre-owned home here last February and will be snow birds, at least for now.

The plants/landscaping around the house is in reasonable shape after we had some trimming and mulch spread except there are about 5 plants that are dead or near-dead that need to be replaced. They are all about, or intended to be about, 2-to-3 feet in height, some flowering some not. I’m planning on doing the replacement myself and want to obtain plants that are hardy requiring minimal maintenance. I’m looking for suggestions on which plants might be best? Thanks in advance
UF/IFAS is the go-to source for Florida plants. There is also help with your local extension offices for the county in which you reside. (Most of Sumter County is in climate zone 9A.) FFL Plant
Old 11-21-2020, 08:28 AM

Thanks for your question! And all the great replies. I am in the same position and want some easy plants and these have been very helpful.
I’m part time too, and agree about the weeds. I pull some daily. I do have a person who weeds fit me when I’m not here.
Old 11-21-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think my sweet wife has about 150 different plants around our house.
Let's see. The button junipers are low maintenance and very hardy (there are other junipers too, some grow higher than others). Hawthorn bushes are hardy and there's a lot of them around here, you'll need to trim 'em a bit, same with podacarpus, but either of those are a good choice too. Annetta is another easy bush type that's easy to care for, and last I'll suggest coonties , which are quite tropical. Good luck!
Coonties are native to Florida, grow slowly, never need trimming and won’t grow so high that they cover your window.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateS View Post
Following. Sorry, no suggestions. We are building soon and I will be looking for similar ieas.
I see you are from Michigan. We are ex-New Yorkers and pre-covid used to regularly attend the lectures put on by the cooperative extension. Best quote from one of the early lectures we attended was-first he asked how many of the people were northerners.
The punch line was forget everything you knew about gardening.
We bought our place new and it was builder landscaped. It was well done, proper plants chosen and each in the right place-except for one a bottle brush bush that was small when we purchased the house and is now way too large.
The soil in most of The Villages is sandy clay and it is loaded with limestone. Most is PH 7-8 alkaline. First thing you want to do is improve the soil by adding organic matter and it takes a lot.
People love to talk about their garden. I would suggest you drive around, not in the new sections but in the older sections and see a style you like. Ask about work to maintain.
Fruit-roses=WORK. People with a plant that died. There is a reason, water,sun, soil, climate. If, it died, you need to find the reason and solve it. Otherwise do not plant the same plant find one that will be happy where you want to stick it.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Location: Moved to the Village of Caroline from St. Louis MO.

I haven't noticed any comments regarding COLD TOLERANCE. We do get some really cold days in the upper 20's almost every year. Unless you are willing to cover plants not rated for our zone which I believe is 9A you are going to get some die back or total loss of the plant. It seems that all the beautiful colorfull plants are likely to suffer from the cold spell. Check that out first.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

I am also a snowbird and weeds will make you nuts. I have miniature bottle brush that I love. They do need full sun. Inside my fence I put down AstroTurf in one area with lawn decorations on top. No weeds grow! I also use lots of pots for seasonal flowers. Penta survive in heat and cold.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Perhaps this doesn’t pertain to you unless you have a pet, but if you have a dog or cat please be sure to check that what you plant is not toxic to your pets. There are a plethora of plants and flowers that are highly toxic to our 4-legged friends. Sego palms are highly lethal! Do your research before you plant.
Old 11-21-2020, 11:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
I am also a snowbird and weeds will make you nuts. I have miniature bottle brush that I love. They do need full sun. Inside my fence I put down AstroTurf in one area with lawn decorations on top. No weeds grow! I also use lots of pots for seasonal flowers. Penta survive in heat and cold.
Recently there was a report of someone with AstroTurf and they had to remove it. Apparently it causes a problem with drainage.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Some of my faves are definitely Petra Croton. Love the colors and they are quite hardy.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	croton-plants-1.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	87027  
Old 11-23-2020, 09:08 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. I have researched the plants that have been suggested and will be proceeding to buy and plant a few of them. You all have been very helpful.

Old 11-26-2020, 08:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Indian Hawthorn and azaleas are small and good here. Also coonties are slow growing and very tropical looking Coontie Cycad - Gardening Solutions - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences
Old 11-26-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CateS View Post
Following. Sorry, no suggestions. We are building soon and I will be looking for similar ieas.
Please be assured that the foundation plantings, bushes and trees that come with new homes here in The Villages are selected for Florida climate and will live and grow. Many new home owners replace or add to landscaping not knowing how fast bushes grow here in Florida. Their next task in about four years is to have bushes removed because of size and crowding.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Some of my faves are definitely Petra Croton. Love the colors and they are quite hardy.

My favorite copper leafs, easy to maintain, easy to start, and easy to cut back. I have some yellow/green Crotons to off set the bright deep red copper leafs. But, if I was snowbird I just remove the dead bushes and wait till I was full time resident to plant more.
Closed Thread

Tags
plants, i’m, hardy, replaced, intended

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.