Have Any of You Planted Orange Trees in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 11:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts
Default Have Any of You Planted Orange Trees in The Villages?

There’s a woman on my street with two big grapefruit trees, and I’ve found a few mentions in Talk of the Villages to planting lemon trees, though I haven’t seen any, but I haven’t seen any orange trees, nor references to growing them here. It’s Florida! Why aren’t people planting more citrus here? Is there some secret about them? Are they forbidden?
Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 AM

We've got a navel orange tree in the back yard. Last year we got more than one hundred oranges from it. It's a mature tree; it was there when we bought the house ten years ago.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage

They involve quite a bit of work, they can be messy, if there are any rats in the area, they are attracted to the fruit, and there is a citrus disease running rampant in central florida (citrus greening) causing the citrus farmers to cut down the trees and plant other crops.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
There’s a woman on my street with two big grapefruit trees, and I’ve found a few mentions in Talk of the Villages to planting lemon trees, though I haven’t seen any, but I haven’t seen any orange trees, nor references to growing them here. It’s Florida! Why aren’t people planting more citrus here? Is there some secret about them? Are they forbidden?

Google; How to Keep Rats Out of Citrus Trees.

Also. Many older people take statins, blood pressure meds, and pain medication and eating grapefruit can alter how it affects you for three days and more. (P.S. I am not into alternative medicine. )

Grapefruit Warning: It Can Interact with Common Medications

We have opted to buy our citrus at Publix. I never thought I would pay so much for lemons in FLORIDA. lol.

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-25-2020 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Most citrus is available in supermarkets year round. We purchase Lemons in bulk save the juice by freezing juice in small ice cubes the bag them in freezer bags for use later.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:05 PM
Gold member

I have three small to medium sized ones that are free to anyone who wants them. We don’t eat oranges.
Old 11-26-2020, 08:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Google; How to Keep Rats Out of Citrus Trees.

Also. Many older people take statins, blood pressure meds, and pain medication and eating grapefruit can alter how it affects you for three days and more. (P.S. I am not into alternative medicine. )

Grapefruit Warning: It Can Interact with Common Medications

We have opted to buy our citrus at Publix. I never thought I would pay so much for lemons in FLORIDA. lol.
Thanks for the link. It’s a good one! It seems that the blood pressure med I take and the cholesterol med I take are NOT affected by Grapefruit, so I don’t need to worry about it. Also, it seems that Grapefruit POTENTIATES the effect of many drugs, including some painkillers and anti-anxiety drugs and some blood pressure drugs. So, people could end up with even lower blood pressure or more pain relief if they eat Grapefruit. That could in some cases be a health benefit. I don’t take any of those meds at all, so I guess I can continue to enjoy Grapefruit soda (and vodka). It’s a link worth reading carefully.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 AM
Platinum member

Have lived in Florida most of my life. Citrus trees are very slow growing and take at least 5 years to get meaningful amount of fruit. Subject to diseases and if there is a long cold spell can get killed by freeze. In the 60' most of the area in and around Clermont were large orange groves. Most of the trees were killed off during cold winters(developers got the balance of them) If you want citrus good luck and have a lot of patience.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:11 AM
Sage

I'll apologize for all the "experts" who replied to every question except the one the op asked.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

Before moving to TV we bought a resale south of The Villages that had a mature orange, lemon and grapefruit tree. They are messy. If you decide to plant them be sure you do what is necessary to prevent pests and make sure you have enough room for them as most of our yards are rather small. We go to the farmers market for fresh local fruit. No mess or trouble whatsoever. You might want to see what your neighbors think. Just a thought.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
I'll apologize for all the "experts" who replied to every question except the one the op asked.
Just check out the number of posts on some posters and the years as members WOW
Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 PM

We have had success with lemons here, getting small crops after a year from both a potted tree and a small tree. We haven’t tried growing oranges, as we’ve heard it is not warm enough here to ensure success.
The downsides to growing lemons IMO are they do require more attention than other plants and trees, and all the lemons become ripe within a couple weeks. We get about a dozen lemons from each tree. We squeeze most of the lemons into ice cube trays, then use the cubes in drinks or cooking for several months.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:27 PM
Platinum member

Orange trees and other citrus trees do take a long time to bear good amount of fruit. Also, sustained freezing can kill trees. Fortunately we do have two mature trees that produce fabulous juice.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Op you have gotten a few responses about those having Orange trees,

The almighty rant of citrus and your BP meds advice, from a non medical perspective, and a web search, which isn’t any part of your question.

Our neighbors have a large Orange tree, which they love taking care of. As fruit ripens, a basket end of driveway, for the fruits of their labor. Their advice is buy the larger mature tree, cause it takes too long for fruit. They have someone come and trim it. When it flowers the smell is amazing.

We had a small orchard of apples, pears, and cherries, up north. Any fruit bearing tree is work, but time is what you have in TV. There are master gardeners here to get intelligence answers from, as well as nurseries. Enjoy
Old 01-14-2021, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
I planted a small lemon tree in a pot a few years ago. The first year I got 18 lemons from it. I transplanted it in my yard, and since that time it hasn’t produced any fruit and it now looks like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree

I’m considering placing it back into a large pot and putting it back on my pool deck.
Closed Thread

Tags
trees, planting, haven’t, villages, orange

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.