Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?

Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Default Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?

I have this year encountered a problem that may be affecting Villagers, particularly the southern half.

Some very well known lawn care companies are turning off your bubblers. This may not be a problem for Pindo , Europeans or MAYBE sabals (sabals would prefer the water, but don't need it).

If your Sylvester(or most any other palm) has been planted more than a year and was doing well, has lots of brown tips now, some yellowing, and most important... partially folded 'leaflets' on the fronds CHECK YOUR BUBBLERS.

I won't mention the name of the offending company, but I talked to the district manager about one home where I had the palms coming back and looking better..
(They wanted to replace 4 'dying' Sylvesters, I turned the bubblers back on and hose soaked them, saving them THOUSANDS),
...till he (big company lawn tech) turned off the bubblers AGAIN as well as turned off bubblers on 4 freshly planted palms.

Remember with your landscape and lawn.. whatever the problem MIGHT be, CHECK WATER/IRRIGATION FIRST. It is simply put, the most important thing.

You might want to check with your lawn care people or the tech and see if they turned your bubblers off as policy... and tell them you want yours on, palm roots are 4 to 6 feet underground, sprinklers are NOT getting water down there.
Big trees need big water. You wouldn't feed a great dane the same amount as a pug...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

you can name names. good point about the bubblers
Old 08-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

I have 12 palms. I do not have brown and yellow tips or bubblers.
Once a year fertilizer does the trick.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Platinum member
Smile Magnesium and manganese.

Yellow and brown tips on palm tree fronds can be an indication of a deficiency of magnesium and manganese in the soil.

Believe it or not, you can go a long way toward fixing the problem by spreading Epson Salt around the trees. Epson Salt is not really a salt, but rather a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate.

You can buy manganese at various hardware stores.

Applying these minerals will not change the appearance of the fronds that have already turned brown, but should prevent future problems with new growth.

How to Apply Epsom Salts to Palm Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate
Old 08-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation Please Inform Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I have this year encountered a problem that may be affecting Villagers, particularly the southern half.

Some very well known lawn care companies are turning off your bubblers. This may not be a problem for Pindo , Europeans or MAYBE sabals (sabals would prefer the water, but don't need it).

If your Sylvester(or most any other palm) has been planted more than a year and was doing well, has lots of brown tips now, some yellowing, and most important... partially folded 'leaflets' on the fronds CHECK YOUR BUBBLERS.

I won't mention the name of the offending company, but I talked to the district manager about one home where I had the palms coming back and looking better..
(They wanted to replace 4 'dying' Sylvesters, I turned the bubblers back on and hose soaked them, saving them THOUSANDS),
...till he (big company lawn tech) turned off the bubblers AGAIN as well as turned off bubblers on 4 freshly planted palms.

Remember with your landscape and lawn.. whatever the problem MIGHT be, CHECK WATER/IRRIGATION FIRST. It is simply put, the most important thing.

You might want to check with your lawn care people or the tech and see if they turned your bubblers off as policy... and tell them you want yours on, palm roots are 4 to 6 feet underground, sprinklers are NOT getting water down there.
Big trees need big water. You wouldn't feed a great dane the same amount as a pug...
Ozello -- we have bumped heads in the past in regard to various topics, but I have always respected your opinion, even when different from mine.
You are a very knowledgeable man.

Your advice to check palm bubblers is something that many homeowners don't do. Either they assume their lawn maintenance people are doing that, or it just hasn't occurred to them at all. Actualy, all sprinkler items should be checked.

But that isn't why I'm responding to your thread.

You mentioned you are aware of a lawn maintenance company who is sabotaging homeowners and then fleecing them to replace what they have already killed.
This is as bad as thieves breaking into a home and stealing, except these people are doing it with a smile.
What they are doing is illegal!

Since you know this to be a fact, why haven't you reported them to the police?
Why aren't you telling us who it is?
If you know this to be absolutely true, you aren't slandering them; you are doing a service to the residents of TV.

The problem with a company such as you mentioned is that if you caught them doing this and they stop, they will simply put on their thinking caps and come up with something else.

Do everyone a favor and let the cat out of the bag.
Everyone else on this forum does when they think they are getting bad service, have been swindled, etc.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Sage

I use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer 3-4 times per year on my palms (not in the cold season). The "4" is the magnesium. 1/2 to 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter spread evenly out to the drip line. You won't need anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Yellow and brown tips on palm tree fronds can be an indication of a deficiency of magnesium and manganese in the soil.

Believe it or not, you can go a long way toward fixing the problem by spreading Epson Salt around the trees. Epson Salt is not really a salt, but rather a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate.

You can buy manganese at various hardware stores.

Applying these minerals will not change the appearance of the fronds that have already turned brown, but should prevent future problems with new growth.

How to Apply Epsom Salts to Palm Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate
Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Platinum member
Smile Good Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer 3-4 times per year on my palms (not in the cold season). The "4" is the magnesium. 1/2 to 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter spread evenly out to the drip line. You won't need anything else.
Excellent choice. The University of Florida recommends 8-2-12 fertilizer for palm trees.

Decades ago I had an arborist tell me that Epson Salt would accomplish the same end, at a greatly reduced price, so I took that route.

Tags
bubblers, turned, lawn, problem, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.