Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?
Home

Menu


Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Book Political Talk Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions FREE Static Cling Locations
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?
  #1  
Old 07-30-2017, 08:36 PM
Ozzello Ozzello is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 226
Default Healthy palms getting yellow and brown tips?

I have this year encountered a problem that may be affecting Villagers, particularly the southern half.

Some very well known lawn care companies are turning off your bubblers. This may not be a problem for Pindo , Europeans or MAYBE sabals (sabals would prefer the water, but don't need it).

If your Sylvester(or most any other palm) has been planted more than a year and was doing well, has lots of brown tips now, some yellowing, and most important... partially folded 'leaflets' on the fronds CHECK YOUR BUBBLERS.

I won't mention the name of the offending company, but I talked to the district manager about one home where I had the palms coming back and looking better..
(They wanted to replace 4 'dying' Sylvesters, I turned the bubblers back on and hose soaked them, saving them THOUSANDS),
...till he (big company lawn tech) turned off the bubblers AGAIN as well as turned off bubblers on 4 freshly planted palms.

Remember with your landscape and lawn.. whatever the problem MIGHT be, CHECK WATER/IRRIGATION FIRST. It is simply put, the most important thing.

You might want to check with your lawn care people or the tech and see if they turned your bubblers off as policy... and tell them you want yours on, palm roots are 4 to 6 feet underground, sprinklers are NOT getting water down there.
Big trees need big water. You wouldn't feed a great dane the same amount as a pug...
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 08-21-2017, 10:53 AM
JohnN's Avatar
JohnN JohnN is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Village of St. James
Posts: 2,413
Default

you can name names. good point about the bubblers
__________________
Chicago, IL
Little Rock, AR
Alpharetta, GA
Searcy, AR
Village of St.James, The Villages, FL
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 08-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,869
Default

I have 12 palms. I do not have brown and yellow tips or bubblers.
Once a year fertilizer does the trick.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
Reply With Quote
Magnesium and manganese.
  #4  
Old 08-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Carl in Tampa's Avatar
Carl in Tampa Carl in Tampa is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Split time between Tampa and The Villages
Posts: 1,790
Smile Magnesium and manganese.

Yellow and brown tips on palm tree fronds can be an indication of a deficiency of magnesium and manganese in the soil.

Believe it or not, you can go a long way toward fixing the problem by spreading Epson Salt around the trees. Epson Salt is not really a salt, but rather a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate.

You can buy manganese at various hardware stores.

Applying these minerals will not change the appearance of the fronds that have already turned brown, but should prevent future problems with new growth.

How to Apply Epsom Salts to Palm Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate
__________________
Reply With Quote
Please Inform Residents
  #5  
Old 08-21-2017, 11:50 PM
Mrs. Robinson Mrs. Robinson is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: The Villages
Posts: 738
Exclamation Please Inform Residents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I have this year encountered a problem that may be affecting Villagers, particularly the southern half.

Some very well known lawn care companies are turning off your bubblers. This may not be a problem for Pindo , Europeans or MAYBE sabals (sabals would prefer the water, but don't need it).

If your Sylvester(or most any other palm) has been planted more than a year and was doing well, has lots of brown tips now, some yellowing, and most important... partially folded 'leaflets' on the fronds CHECK YOUR BUBBLERS.

I won't mention the name of the offending company, but I talked to the district manager about one home where I had the palms coming back and looking better..
(They wanted to replace 4 'dying' Sylvesters, I turned the bubblers back on and hose soaked them, saving them THOUSANDS),
...till he (big company lawn tech) turned off the bubblers AGAIN as well as turned off bubblers on 4 freshly planted palms.

Remember with your landscape and lawn.. whatever the problem MIGHT be, CHECK WATER/IRRIGATION FIRST. It is simply put, the most important thing.

You might want to check with your lawn care people or the tech and see if they turned your bubblers off as policy... and tell them you want yours on, palm roots are 4 to 6 feet underground, sprinklers are NOT getting water down there.
Big trees need big water. You wouldn't feed a great dane the same amount as a pug...
Ozello -- we have bumped heads in the past in regard to various topics, but I have always respected your opinion, even when different from mine.
You are a very knowledgeable man.

Your advice to check palm bubblers is something that many homeowners don't do. Either they assume their lawn maintenance people are doing that, or it just hasn't occurred to them at all. Actualy, all sprinkler items should be checked.

But that isn't why I'm responding to your thread.

You mentioned you are aware of a lawn maintenance company who is sabotaging homeowners and then fleecing them to replace what they have already killed.
This is as bad as thieves breaking into a home and stealing, except these people are doing it with a smile.
What they are doing is illegal!

Since you know this to be a fact, why haven't you reported them to the police?
Why aren't you telling us who it is?
If you know this to be absolutely true, you aren't slandering them; you are doing a service to the residents of TV.

The problem with a company such as you mentioned is that if you caught them doing this and they stop, they will simply put on their thinking caps and come up with something else.

Do everyone a favor and let the cat out of the bag.
Everyone else on this forum does when they think they are getting bad service, have been swindled, etc.
__________________
If the broom fits, ride it!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:41 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,246
Default

I use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer 3-4 times per year on my palms (not in the cold season). The "4" is the magnesium. 1/2 to 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter spread evenly out to the drip line. You won't need anything else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Yellow and brown tips on palm tree fronds can be an indication of a deficiency of magnesium and manganese in the soil.

Believe it or not, you can go a long way toward fixing the problem by spreading Epson Salt around the trees. Epson Salt is not really a salt, but rather a mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate.

You can buy manganese at various hardware stores.

Applying these minerals will not change the appearance of the fronds that have already turned brown, but should prevent future problems with new growth.

How to Apply Epsom Salts to Palm Trees | Home Guides | SF Gate
Reply With Quote
Good Choice
  #7  
Old 08-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Carl in Tampa's Avatar
Carl in Tampa Carl in Tampa is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Split time between Tampa and The Villages
Posts: 1,790
Smile Good Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer 3-4 times per year on my palms (not in the cold season). The "4" is the magnesium. 1/2 to 1 pound per inch of trunk diameter spread evenly out to the drip line. You won't need anything else.
Excellent choice. The University of Florida recommends 8-2-12 fertilizer for palm trees.

Decades ago I had an arborist tell me that Epson Salt would accomplish the same end, at a greatly reduced price, so I took that route.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bubblers, turned, lawn, problem, check
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:45 AM.


Clubs, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.