Hedges as barriers

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2020, 11:56 AM
Default Hedges as barriers

Hi - we are looking at relocating to the Villages in mid 2022. I could use some assistance understanding what is and what isn't possible with landscaping for homes without existing walls (courtyards and verandas). Is it possible to use hedges as barriers for privacy and to aid in providing a little doggy spot behind one's home? Or are we allowed to do some type of fencing around a larger patio that for example would be a 3' white picket fence just around a non covered patio? Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 12:11 PM

I strongly suggest you contact community standards, 352.751.3912 to learn about the various Districts Requirements.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:15 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyandPeter View Post
Hi - we are looking at relocating to the Villages in mid 2022. I could use some assistance understanding what is and what isn't possible with landscaping for homes without existing walls (courtyards and verandas). Is it possible to use hedges as barriers for privacy and to aid in providing a little doggy spot behind one's home? Or are we allowed to do some type of fencing around a larger patio that for example would be a 3' white picket fence just around a non covered patio? Thanks
There are some homes, not villas, built with privacy fences in the back yard. When you start working with a realtor, be sure to mention this.

People do use hedges as privacy barriers. There may be restrictions for utility easements so you would need to be careful where they are planted. I have seen where folks have put small decorative “fences” around a patio. As a general rule, fences are not allowed. This topic and others are covered in the deed restrictions. I would suggest reviewing these before you buy. This is all public information and can be found online.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

You won’t know what deed restrictions to look at until you have narrowed down the area in which you wish to live. THEN you can look at the deed restrictions for that district, which a sales person can help you with.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,036 Times in 5,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
You won’t know what deed restrictions to look at until you have narrowed down the area in which you wish to live. THEN you can look at the deed restrictions for that district, which a sales person can help you with.
I would not put my total trust in a real estate salesman? Better to contact community standards before you purchase a house and be sure of what you are allowed to do.
Old 09-27-2020, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,145 Times in 2,245 Posts

Agreed look at the Deed restrictions, and if necessary get the plot plans from the county government office do you know exactly where all the boundary lines are, for example, we have a 20 foot right of way at the back of our home for utilities, basically nothing allowed in the area, which means the hedges would end up almost next to the house......
Old 09-27-2020, 03:36 PM
Smile

Ideally we would like to be central, between 466 and 466A, but just south of 44A would looks promising. I had heard there were some villages that allowed some fencing or experimented with it. Any suggestions? Thanks again and we definitely check out the district covenants. I've lived all over the country and feel like we are needing to research even more on this last move
Old 09-27-2020, 03:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Duval

Quote:
Ideally we would like to be central, between 466 and 466A, but just south of 44A would looks promising. I had heard there were some villages that allowed some fencing or experimented with it. Any suggestions? Thanks again and we definitely check out the district covenants. I've lived all over the country and feel like we are needing to research even more on this last move
Nash Loop in the village of Duval off of Canal has ranch homes that are fenced.
Duval is between 466 and 466A.
Old 09-27-2020, 04:44 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
The recommendations to review deed restrictions for the areas you are interested in are most important Village Community Development Districts

Many of your questions just might be located here Village Community Development Districts . And when it comes to external rules look here VCDD Community Standards

Hope this helps.

Old 09-27-2020, 05:16 PM

There are some homes south of 44 that have picket fences behind the house, you could check into those.
Old 09-28-2020, 05:07 AM
Veteran member

Why no contact Community Standards?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:05 AM
Default Need help with this site!

Because I can reply to a message, I am again asking how do you post on this thread for some reason I am having a difficult time as I have attempted several times and no post ever shows! It should not be this difficult! Would appreciate full instruction!!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
The Veranda models have fences but the new ones are overpriced in my view. However in the new Village of Bradford there are also a very limited number of homes with white picket fences. They back to other homes, I believe.

Ask your realtor, but check deed compliance for the area you decide on. Good Luck & Welcome!
Old 09-28-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
If you have small pets, I wouldn't let them outside without being on a lease. Coyotes and birds of prey have been known to grab them up. The best way to keep them protected is to keep them leased and close to you.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
you should probably look into homes in the newer areas, south of 44--they have homes with built in fencing, perfect for dogs.
Closed Thread

Tags
hedges, patio, barriers, spot, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.