Hedges as barriers

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
Because I can reply to a message, I am again asking how do you post on this thread for some reason I am having a difficult time as I have attempted several times and no post ever shows! It should not be this difficult! Would appreciate full instruction!!

If all you want to do is to reply to a post, click on 'reply with Quote'...that way others will know what you are responding to. I just sent you a PM on how to start a new thread.
Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Default Pet Area

As many have said community standards and deed restrictions will have the answers. When looking for your home look a the plat. They are available from the county website in the county you will be purchasing in. Armed with your plat you will know what all setbacks are and know what is possible.

Another option is to have a cage attached to your lanai with a small potty are for the pups. We are having a pool installed, the contractor is adding a potty area for our two small puppies.

We also have a small area around our ac & pool pump area not visible from the street that we have close plantings to give the pups another area to go. All have been approved by the ARC.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancymacy View Post
Because I can reply to a message, I am again asking how do you post on this thread for some reason I am having a difficult time as I have attempted several times and no post ever shows! It should not be this difficult! Would appreciate full instruction!!
Your question[s] should be answered here - https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...ers-forum-115/

Old 09-28-2020, 11:04 AM

We just had TONS of work..landscaping, patio extension, pergola, summer kitchen in our back yard. The landscaping was designed for our privacy, but to look nice on the neighbors' sides as well. We didn't want it to look like a barrier of the same high, hedge looking stuff. The main rule was that the back of the beds had to be 3 ft from the property line, so we did lose a bit of 'yard to use', but still have decent enough for a dog to un around, for sure 25lbs or so. We go approvals for EVERYTHING. Each of our several contractors handled the approvals, and we got copies before the work began. (We have 5 neighbors involved, new to the area, and hadn't met all of them). 4 months after work was done, we got notice of a complaint...supposedly from one of our neighbors...maybe..or, maybe one of the folks we interviewed that we didn't hire..BUT, because everything had been approved by HOA, county, and everyone else, we had no issues! Everything stays as is, and we love it!! SO GET APPROVAL FOR EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START!
Old 09-28-2020, 11:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyandPeter View Post
Hi - we are looking at relocating to the Villages in mid 2022. I could use some assistance understanding what is and what isn't possible with landscaping for homes without existing walls (courtyards and verandas). Is it possible to use hedges as barriers for privacy and to aid in providing a little doggy spot behind one's home? Or are we allowed to do some type of fencing around a larger patio that for example would be a 3' white picket fence just around a non covered patio? Thanks
Pretty much anything you plant or remove needs to go through the local Architectural Review Committee for your Area. If I recall correctly, in my neighborhood of Tierra del Sol there is a five foot utility easement on each side of each lot where no shrubs or trees can be planted—only grass or some other options. So for me, with a big birdcage, I have a 4’ wide strip where I can plant a hedge. There are also lists of shrubs and trees that are allowed or not allowed. I have no trouble with this. Invasive species are not allowed. Some shrubs have flowers and some don’t. Some grow taller and some don’t. Some grow quickly and some don’t. Some are denser than others. Landscapers know all this stuff.

What you must NEVER do is just stop by a nursery, buy a few shrubs, and plant them right between the two properties. If you have a landscaper do the planting, you still need approval BEFORE planting. Follow the rules and all will be well.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:00 PM

There are so many rules and regulations about what you can and cannot do re: landscaping, it's definitely best to find the area where you like, then check their rules there. Generally speaking you can't put fences anywhere unless the Villages has already done them. You also can't plant anything within 3' of your property line which makes privacy hedges hard. There are also required 3' distances around utilities and even longer distances from streets and other easements. Many more rules that are explained in our property restrictions. Even when you think something is allowed, you will have to submit a written plan to the ARC [architectural review committee] to make sure it's allowed in your neighborhood. You'll need to tell your realtors what you need before you search to make sure they take you to the right areas, but will also have to check regulations to make sure what your hear is correct. Courtyard villas have fences and some small areas south of rte 44 have designer homes with fences, but you need to tell your realtor you want a fenced yard if that's important to you. Many people plant hedges around their lanais to get privacy and keep the plantings at least 3 ' from property lines, away from utilities and easements. Good Luck!
Old 09-29-2020, 04:13 AM

The longer you wait, the more it will cost you- MAKE UP YOUR MIND
Old 09-29-2020, 07:28 AM
Location: Just moved to the Village of Duval from Pompano Beach.
Default Deed restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
You won’t know what deed restrictions to look at until you have narrowed down the area in which you wish to live. THEN you can look at the deed restrictions for that district, which a sales person can help you with.
You could research which deed restriction areas would allow you to do what you would like, then look for a home in that area.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:21 AM
Default Electric fence

We put in an electric fence for our large dog. Has worked for us!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:00 AM

I wanted a fence for my dog. Villages at the time did not allow fences.. so we bought a courtyard Villa. I have since moved to the village of hemmingway on nash loop. This was an experiment with homes and privacy fences in back enclosed. I love it and my dog has a place to run and play . There are a few homes for sale in this area. Check it out. Only other homes with fences other than villas are in the new areas here and there.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:39 AM

At first glance that seemed like a good idea to me too. I moved here 6 years ago and had the visual barrier planted. Bad idea. Water use is very expensive. Generally $90/month. After you water them you have to trim them. It never ends. But it sure looks good. After a couple of months of my 3 dogs escaping I got the Invisible fence. My dogs wear their collars all the time when we are home. One of the dogs ran across the line in the driveway the first week we had it. She was so scared she ran right back in. The others saw that and they never have tried to cross again unless they need new batteries. We I added a room to my house I had the fence moved so they wouldn’t get near the construction. Worked perfectly. After construction I had the fence moved back. One of my dogs is deaf, but with the training and flags and watching the other two dogs she has never had a problem. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernrider75 View Post
There are some homes south of 44 that have picket fences behind the house, you could check into those.
Actually south of 44, in the Fenney area, there are a number of areas where homes have fences and a lot of privacy at the back. That is rarely found in other parts of TV.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Nash Loop in the village of Duval off of Canal has ranch homes that are fenced.
Duval is between 466 and 466A.
Thank you
Old 10-04-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpascani View Post
We just had TONS of work..landscaping, patio extension, pergola, summer kitchen in our back yard. The landscaping was designed for our privacy, but to look nice on the neighbors' sides as well. We didn't want it to look like a barrier of the same high, hedge looking stuff. The main rule was that the back of the beds had to be 3 ft from the property line, so we did lose a bit of 'yard to use', but still have decent enough for a dog to un around, for sure 25lbs or so. We go approvals for EVERYTHING. Each of our several contractors handled the approvals, and we got copies before the work began. (We have 5 neighbors involved, new to the area, and hadn't met all of them). 4 months after work was done, we got notice of a complaint...supposedly from one of our neighbors...maybe..or, maybe one of the folks we interviewed that we didn't hire..BUT, because everything had been approved by HOA, county, and everyone else, we had no issues! Everything stays as is, and we love it!! SO GET APPROVAL FOR EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START!
Thank you for the great information and glad all went well.
Closed Thread

Tags
hedges, patio, barriers, spot, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.