Help. Crape myrtle murdered!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2020, 11:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wielen View Post
They are always supposed to be cut back like that!! It will come back with all its glory this spring!!! If you look at the crepe myrtles all around they are all cut back!!! Read on the internet that is exactly what should be done!!!👍👍
Maybe you should read because that is exactly the opposite of what is recommended.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 AM

Not Murdered, lived in North Carolina had 4 crepe myrtles. They were always cut back severely and come back in a couple of months more beautiful then before. That's a normal pruning in Jan/ Feb for that type of tree, seems strange but it does work..
Old 02-20-2020, 12:13 PM

In my experience you will see new growth very soon. These plants grow as hedges, and tall trees based on how much trimming us done. I have one and trim it way back every year. It comes back fuller with plenty of blooms.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:25 PM

It will come back, just never allow it to happen again. Mine was pruned, chopped off, 5 years ago after 14 years of allowing nature to let it grow as it should. It is just now finally looking natural again. You will want to prune out crossing branches, suckers and weak branches. Do this yourself. Eventually it will be beautiful again as God intended it to grow. Give it time and if you haven't already paid the company, charge them for ruining your tree without your consent, if you already paid them, never use them again. Good luck.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:47 PM
Default Call Tree Frog for true answer - certified arborist

See above
Old 02-20-2020, 01:05 PM

You are suppose to cut them back. They bloom more often when they are cut back.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
What can be done for my crape myrtle that was cut off We came home from errands to find all branches cut off. We never gave them permission to cut the tree only the shrubs and I have specifically told them on at least one other occasion that we do not want the tree cut. I am so livid over this I just can’t stand it! Now our 8 year old tree is 50 inches of stub! I called the company and left a message since no one answered after 6pm. We are going to demand they replace the tree. Any thoughts?
Well I can tell you that they Murdered Myrtle. Don’t let them tell you that it will come back. Myrtle’s are a very fragile tree & can only be trimmed certain times of the yr. & nows not the time. To cut it down to 50 in. now it won’t make it. Whoever trimmed it had better take a class on listening I’m sure they’ll give you a line BS. Good luck getting these amateurs to replace it!
Old 02-20-2020, 03:53 PM

I have mine cut every year at this time and it comes back beautiful every year.
Old 02-20-2020, 06:05 PM

It will grow back no worry give it time
Old 02-20-2020, 06:25 PM

They always cut them like that...they grow back stronger and healthier real quick.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
The master Gardner’s say that is not the way to trim this tree. Yes you can trim it any way you like but that does not make it right.
And where does the master gardner get his info. HMMM....
Old 02-20-2020, 08:08 PM
Default Crape Myrtle

https://gardenerspath.com/how-to/pruning/crape-myrtle/
Old 02-20-2020, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
good luck w/that - replacement tree,,, these trees aren't expensive however you can't 'murder' these things - even cutting them off at ground level won't do it. however, IF you don't cut them back (prune) ea yr prior to bloom, they'll turn into ugly multi-branched weed trees,,, pruning to most, is managing growth, & necessary for the trees' good health,,, obviously some think its 'murder' but its only a brush burn to the tree :-) usually ours are chopped in feb
to me, an 'arborist' is a lawn/tree maintenance fellow who speaks better english & charges more to tell you the same thing in a much longer & more articulate explanation/presentation
This is simply not true....on any count.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
What can be done for my crape myrtle that was cut off We came home from errands to find all branches cut off. We never gave them permission to cut the tree only the shrubs and I have specifically told them on at least one other occasion that we do not want the tree cut. I am so livid over this I just can’t stand it! Now our 8 year old tree is 50 inches of stub! I called the company and left a message since no one answered after 6pm. We are going to demand they replace the tree. Any thoughts?
I would certainly ask them to replace it but you run the risk of it being replaced with junk. I would be outraged over this type of thing. Remember what/who you are dealing with. I should send you a PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:58 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhferri85 View Post
We had 6 of them at our prior home and cut them back (murdered) every February. Great for root and trunk development and they come back better than before every spring.
Where do you get your information that they come back better than before and that crepe murder is great for trunk and root development?
It is not true, branches come back weaker, break easily and bloom later.
In the meantime they look awful.
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, cut, crape, myrtle, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.