Help. Crape myrtle murdered!

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 AM
Default Normal trimmimg for crepe myrtles

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
What can be done for my crape myrtle that was cut off We came home from errands to find all branches cut off. We never gave them permission to cut the tree only the shrubs and I have specifically told them on at least one other occasion that we do not want the tree cut. I am so livid over this I just can’t stand it! Now our 8 year old tree is 50 inches of stub! I called the company and left a message since no one answered after 6pm. We are going to demand they replace the tree. Any thoughts?
Cutting crepe myrtles to the stubs is a normal trimming procedure. Most people cut them every year in February. I have 3 of them that I cut every year. Don't worry. They come back fast and thicker with more flowers each time it is done. They will be just as tall as before in no time once the growing season starts next month.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Default Murdered Crepe Myrtle

My first year I made them promise not to cut mine back. Then some weeks after my neighbors' trees started growing back theirs were full and healthy and mine looked puny. It usually takes warm weather to start the regrowing and you'll see the difference. Don’t panic, you will see the value sooner than you think.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:51 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan
Default According to UF class

Quote:
What can be done for my crape myrtle that was cut off We came home from errands to find all branches cut off. We never gave them permission to cut the tree only the shrubs and I have specifically told them on at least one other occasion that we do not want the tree cut. I am so livid over this I just can’t stand it! Now our 8 year old tree is 50 inches of stub! I called the company and left a message since no one answered after 6pm. We are going to demand they replace the tree. Any thoughts?
The proper way to trim crepe myrtles is to only "up the canopy". Triming lower branches only. This helps to provide the shade tree that you can enjoy in your yard. "Knuckling" the tree the first time let alone every year to any tree is awful and incorrect.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:53 AM

I would bet that greater than 90% of privately owned crepe myrtles are cut back every late winter in The Villages. I murder mine only to see them come back more lush than before. The only thing I can say is do nothing and enjoy them this summer.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:09 AM
theruizs

Quote:
This is what many do when pruning them so your landscaper likely thought they were just doing their job. Actually, it is NOT the correct way to prune crepe myrtles. It will come back, but if you keep doing it you may not get the desired result long term. As someone else noted, the TV landscapers do not do this. Please read:
Stop Crape Murder: Don’t Cut Back Your Myrtles : NorthEscambia.com
Old 02-20-2020, 09:18 AM

That's the way it is to be pruned. This is the time of year to trim.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:21 AM

They are always supposed to be cut back like that!! It will come back with all its glory this spring!!! If you look at the crepe myrtles all around they are all cut back!!! Read on the internet that is exactly what should be done!!!👍👍
Old 02-20-2020, 09:40 AM

The tree will be fine. Many people cut them this time of year. No need to replace it. It will be good as new by blooming time.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wielen View Post
They are always supposed to be cut back like that!! It will come back with all its glory this spring!!! If you look at the crepe myrtles all around they are all cut back!!! Read on the internet that is exactly what should be done!!!👍👍
Yes, I did read on the internet, and this way of pruning is wrong!

Google "How to prune a crepe myrtle". I read every article on the first page, and they all say the same thing: Do NOT cut it back like this. Simply cut out any crossed branches or suckers, or any weak, thin branches inside the canopy. You will have a beautiful, graceful tree with lovely blooms.

I wish that when landscapers see that a crepe myrtle has not been previously hacked, they would ask before touching it. Or better, ask when they begin a contract with a homeowner.

Our landscaper did the same thing as happened to the OP. I am furious.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Why do people think one type of pruning is "wrong" vs. another? Who can say what is wrong or right? It's a plant---do what you want.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:49 AM
Default Crape Myrtle trimming

B4 coming to FL, we lived in GA for 2.5 years. We had 7 Crapes in our large back yard. Come home from work one day and found what you found. Chewed out my trimmer. He told me they's come back better than before. they did. If you want standard 6'-10' crape that's what you'll get and you're going to love it. If you want a 18'/24' ugly crape don't cut them back. Come to my street where I can show you both types.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:52 AM

Just to clarify these are crepe Myrtle you're talking about not crape myrtles, Which are nothing but glorified weeds.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:08 AM

You will thank your trimmer in a few months. May look butchered now but Short of agent orange this tree will come back and thrive with beautiful lush foliage and long blooming flowers.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:16 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
No problem. It will be good as new in about 10 weeks or less
Not true it will never be as good as new. It will live but never look as nice. There is a reason it is called crape murder and the tree should not be trimmed this way.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Why do people think one type of pruning is "wrong" vs. another? Who can say what is wrong or right? It's a plant---do what you want.
The master Gardner’s say that is not the way to trim this tree. Yes you can trim it any way you like but that does not make it right.
Closed Thread

Tags
tree, cut, crape, myrtle, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.