Help. Crape myrtle murdered!

Closed Thread
Old 02-22-2020, 12:19 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
we maintain crepe myrtles at several hoa/condo communities - you can see how these flourish when pruned ea yr to the knuckle - not how they turn into scrub trees when they get no care
I'm a Buckeye too for what ever that is worth. That first picture that shows the crepe myrtles "knuckled" is just downright ugly. It doesn't look like anything in nature. The second picture looks like a normal tree.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:21 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,299 Times in 536 Posts

To each his own but most Agronomists will tell you to trim the tree. In the OP’S case, as explained, it apparently was a communication problem. Homeowners have every right not to prune if that is their preference. The good news is the tree will quickly bounce back in a couple of months more healthy and beautiful than ever.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
Years of training by University of Florida agricultural and horticultural professionals.
Every idea that is an "accepted truth" always begins with one persons opinion which can be right or wrong and over time becomes an accepted norm or truth.
Old 02-22-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC and John View Post
What can be done for my crape myrtle that was cut off We came home from errands to find all branches cut off. We never gave them permission to cut the tree only the shrubs and I have specifically told them on at least one other occasion that we do not want the tree cut. I am so livid over this I just can’t stand it! Now our 8 year old tree is 50 inches of stub! I called the company and left a message since no one answered after 6pm. We are going to demand they replace the tree. Any thoughts?
Here is an update on our dilemma. Our pruning company contacted us and apologized for the miscommunication and the cutting of our tree. Next we sent photos to them per their request. We now have an agreement in writing to monitor the tree taking pictures as necessary, check regrowth in 6 months, they are not to ever prune the tree again, and any signs of dying they will replace the tree. Thanks to everyone for your advice and positive comments that our tree will come back to its glory in time.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:16 PM

What a Dump and a New Condo Association - YouTube
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 02-26-2020, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhferri85 View Post
We had 6 of them at our prior home and cut them back (murdered) every February. Great for root and trunk development and they come back better than before every spring.
But.....with Crepe Murder, also called "knuckling", don't the branches wind up with those large round knots which is what the knuckling is referring to? I don't want our Crepe Myrtles to have those large knuckles. I just have the old seeds pruned off in late February. The trees fill in very nicely and look quite lovely in the summer months.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, it will grow back but the beautiful shape will never be the same. Just because many people murder their crape myrtles it does not mean it is the right way to maintain them. There is a reason arborists say to never commit crape murder.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts

How can crepe myrtle stubble be more attractive than the tree???????? I don't get it!
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

here's how the same trees look in blossom,,, ea yrheight increases 4" or 5",,, of course they'll also bloom if left 'unknuckled' but it does take longer here in no atlanta
we trim in february & trees don't mind a bit evidently
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	front.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	83050  
Old 03-02-2020, 09:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
here's how the same trees look in blossom,,, ea yrheight increases 4" or 5",,, of course they'll also bloom if left 'unknuckled' but it does take longer here in no atlanta
we trim in february & trees don't mind a bit evidently

To belabor the point, that is what I don't like about knuckled trees. They shoot long fronds out like suckers look at the base of a tree. They don't look graceful like the trees that are left alone. I much prefer to leave them alone and just prune errant branches like one does with other types of trees.

Knuckling is big in Europe, but mainly because their old plane and some other trees are so massive they become a problem for adjacent buildings. And it isn't necessarily done every year. When it is done in the spring, it's August before these trees fill back out. You lose a whole summer of shade.

Tags
tree, cut, crape, myrtle, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.