Hibiscus

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Hibiscus

We planted four Hibiscus last year. One nearly died during the cold spell, one is big and bushy with lots of leaves, not many flowers and something is eating holes in the leaves and it has yellow leaves. The other two are blooming their hearts out, nothing eating them. The two that are blooming best are in the same general location.

I wish that someone could guide me here. They are such beautiful flowers. We enjoy them so much. What am I not doing with the floundering ones?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think it is every Friday that a member of the university of florida extension department comes to the library in Pinellas. Take a sample of tbe leaves with you. Maybe some pics of locations. They will help you figure it out.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
We planted four Hibiscus last year. One nearly died during the cold spell, one is big and bushy with lots of leaves, not many flowers and something is eating holes in the leaves and it has yellow leaves. The other two are blooming their hearts out, nothing eating them. The two that are blooming best are in the same general location.

I wish that someone could guide me here. They are such beautiful flowers. We enjoy them so much. What am I not doing with the floundering ones?
Here is my advice:

The bushy one..Cut it back..about 1/2 way, make the cuts at an angle..shape the plant as you work around it..begin from the outside..when finished a good shot of Miracle Grow would help. Aphids love Hibiscus especially the buds take a good look and use whatever plant pest control you use to get rid of them.
In late Nov. early Dec. cut them back about 1/4 then say mid March cut them back about 1/2 then fertilize and wallah...around June fertilize again.

For the little one that got hit by the cold coax it along with some TLC..and it should come back.

Aphids are public enemy #1 for Hibiscus tiny little green monsters. Here is an almost " Free " pest control solution formula.A generous 1 tsp of Dawn to a hand spray bottle of water..and your Hibiscus will be fine..forever more.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600th Photo Sq View Post
Here is my advice:

The bushy one..Cut it back..about 1/2 way, make the cuts at an angle..shape the plant as you work around it..begin from the outside..when finished a good shot of Miracle Grow would help. Aphids love Hibiscus especially the buds take a good look and use whatever plant pest control you use to get rid of them.
In late Nov. early Dec. cut them back about 1/4 then say mid March cut them back about 1/2 then fertilize and wallah...around June fertilize again.

For the little one that got hit by the cold coax it along with some TLC..and it should come back.

Aphids are public enemy #1 for Hibiscus tiny little green monsters. Here is an almost " Free " pest control solution formula.A generous 1 tsp of Dawn to a hand spray bottle of water..and your Hibiscus will be fine..forever more.
Many thanks! Looking for an almost empty spray bottle right now.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

You were recently asking about Hibiscus. This site is probably the best Hibiscus site I have ever used. Tells you everything you need to know. The planting and soil information is invaluable if you want to grow great hibiscus.

Hidden Valley Hibiscus - Exotic, Tropical Hibiscus Hybrids

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-14-2016, 07:24 PM
Gold member
Default my two cents worth

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I've learned to read before buying anything-including garden stuff. I too have noticed the hybiscus flowers at the brownwood farmers market etc and decided to read before buying. We are in zone 9 they are hearty zone 4-9-at least the hearty varieties so it not likely that yours died from the cold. They do die back to the ground and return from the roots..It is possible you dug out the roots or your gardener did. Also, they need a lot of water.
We are all stubborn. If, a plant is not happy where we want it, you can perhaps improve where you want to plant it or find another plant that is attractive and will be happy where you want to fill. RE: insects. Sounds crazy but I've read that insects will attack plants that are not growing well due to other reasons.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:59 AM
Eternal Member

A neighbor told my wife about the Dawn in water spray for our hibiscus that was being chomped on by bugs. It worked like a champ and that plant is growing tall and making lots of beautiful yellow flowers.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
A neighbor told my wife about the Dawn in water spray for our hibiscus that was being chomped on by bugs. It worked like a champ and that plant is growing tall and making lots of beautiful yellow flowers.
Yeah, but I bet the blooms were red before the Dawn.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:42 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Thank you for letting us know it worked.

Am I correct in assuming it would be best to use plain, original Dawn? Line-extensions often are a part of P&G's branding of their iconic products. Dawn comes in various scents and added bleach, etc. -- Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I am going to try this on my other plants, back in Dawn's hometown. I have holes in leaves here and there. I figure it can't hurt to try.

But I plan to use the original, blue Dawn -- like they used on those much beloved ducks.

Dawn Patrol Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 06-15-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Sage

We have a hibiscus bush as well. It has gotten leggy and tall in the past, with yellow leaves. We cut it back, removed as many of the leaves as possible, fertilized then watered the heck out of it. It is now quite health and "bushy" looking again!
Closed Thread

Tags
leaves, flowers, hibiscus, blooming, eating

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.