Hibiscus recovery from freeze

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2008, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Re: Hibiscus recovery from freeze

Boom,

If you are going to make that Hibiscus your avatar, please put your self in there too. This time face side too.

I am beginning to think you are a pigment of my imagination.

KINDEST wishes,

Your buddy,

GracieGirl

P.S.Great job on the big Boom. Now I believe.Darwin and I go way back too.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:31 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla
Boomer:

My green-thumbed mother always talked to her plants. Never, ever, "If you don't behave, I'll trim you to the ground," but rather, "Now come on, sweetheart, you should really be the star in my garden!"

Seemed to work, as she grew amazing things!

SWR
Hi SWR,

Oh, I know. That really is the best way. Your mother was a wise woman.

I should not yell, "Off with your heads!" It's just that when I have my Felco2 pruners in my hand, I get a little crazy. But I have been sort of sweet talking that hibiscus. So maybe I am doing better. If only I could learn to be as patient with my plants as they are with me.

I have started listening to country music while I garden. I had forgotten how much I love that stuff. And I think the plants like it, too. There are some great stories in those songs.

Boomer
Old 07-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum member

I'm convinced music works, too!

Most of Mother's gardening was too far removed from the house for her plants to hear the records (you do remember what records were, don't you? :joke: ) she loved to play. Strictly classical, but some Wagnerian operas could have stimulated her flowers an h*** of a lot!

Memories ;D

SWR
Old 07-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla
I'm convinced music works, too!

Most of Mother's gardening was too far removed from the house for her plants to hear the records (you do remember what records were, don't you? :joke: ) she loved to play. Strictly classical, but some Wagnerian operas could have stimulated her flowers an h*** of a lot!

Memories ;D

SWR
Good Morning, SWR,

I just went out and checked that little hibiscus I have been writing about here. That girl is lookin' good this morning. There are 9 blooms coming on. Maybe it was the country music I play while gardening. But I bet a little Wagner would really do the trick. (I am saying, "Vagner," you know.)

And, oh yes, I remember records. I know about the 33 & 1/3's and about the 78's. But what I really remember -- those 45's. I used to save my allowance and wait until I could find them 3 for a dollar. (Whoops! Uh oh! It's early. Er, about those 45's -- My mommy had to push me in my stroller to go buy them. Yeah. Uh, huh. That's it.)

Maybe I will try some classical music on my little hibiscus. But SWR, if she starts behaving badly again, I may just have to crank up a little Tchaikovsky. The "1812 Overture" comes to mind.

Boomer
Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Good Morning, SWR,

I just went out and checked that little hibiscus I have been writing about here. That girl is lookin' good this morning. There are 9 blooms coming on. Maybe it was the country music I play while gardening. But I bet a little Wagner would really do the trick. (I am saying, "Vagner," you know.)

And, oh yes, I remember records. I know about the 33 & 1/3's and about the 78's. But what I really remember -- those 45's. I used to save my allowance and wait until I could find them 3 for a dollar. (Whoops! Uh oh! It's early. Er, about those 45's -- My mommy had to push me in my stroller to go buy them. Yeah. Uh, huh. That's it.)

Maybe I will try some classical music on my little hibiscus. But SWR, if she starts behaving badly again, I may just have to crank up a little Tchaikovsky. The "1812 Overture" comes to mind.

Boomer
Excellent idea as always. The "1812 Overture" has great booms for great blooms. Quote from Denny Mac.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
Excellent idea as always. The "1812 Overture" has great booms for great blooms. Quote from Denny Mac.
Darn it, gg,

I was just getting ready to move forward with my life today. Getting ready to log out. I just wanted to let SWR know how I am doing with working on my gardening patience.

And then, here you come along, my Fellow Buckeye Early Bird. And then you hit my hot button.

Wait! Don't duck!

What I mean is, I do mean hot. You started talking about Denny Mac. That Cincinnati gardening expert, star of the Enquirer, televison spots, and especially his own show.

I used spend every Saturday morning in bed with Denny Mac.

Uh, whoops! It is way too early.

What I am trying to say is that Denny Mac's show is on the radio very early every Saturday morning. I used to just roll over and turn him on. er, Whoops! This is a gardening thread. Not the "NES." Whatintheheckisthematterwithme?

What I mean is that I used to just turn on the radio and listen to his show. I once even called with a question and got through. (Oh, be still, my foolish heart.)

Now, I wake up and come into the kitchen and log on here and drink coffee for awhile. But on Saturday morning, my man Denny is always here beside me.

Well, gg, you just made me add another man to my list of confessions of shameless loves from afar. Here I am confessing and it is not anywhere near Midnight in the Garden of Boomer Beback.

WhatintheheckisthematterwithmeIreallydohavealife!

Oh and gg. To make matters even worse, or I guess it's better. Denny Mac is now on a country station so after his show, it just goes right into those great songs like, "I Don't Even Know His Last Name."

Boomer

Old 07-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Boomer,
Well well well, I didn't know hibiscus was such a scintillating topic!!
I might just have to give Denny Mac a listen-to LOLOL
I'm glad your flower babies are doing better.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Platinum member

I'm not all that sure that I should even be here, listening in??? :redface: :redface:

SWR
Old 07-24-2008, 10:23 PM
Soaring Parsley

Dear Fellow Gardeners,

Oh, I do not know what came over me this morning. I was happily going along in this nice gardening thread and reporting in on how all that good hibiscus advice from JohnN and SWR was working out. And I had just checked the hibiscus and she was looking pretty wonderful.

And I was just getting ready to log out.

And then that Graciegirl, that other Cincinnati girl, showed up and started talking about Denny Mac.

And oh my, I saw the very mention of that Midwest gardening expert's name, and suddenly I became quite discombobulated. (But in a good way.)

And then the next thing you know, I was confessing one of those things I confess once in awhile. About those men I love from afar. Charles Kuralt. Carl Hiaasen. Judd Hirsch, but only when he is being Alex on "Taxi." (And there's another one, but I can't remember who he is right now.) Oh, and then there was that stuff I wrote one night about men with gray ponytails. Whatintheheckisthematterwithme?

But anyway, that Graciegirl. that other Cincinnati girl, well I think she knew what would happen.

And she was right, and suddenly I was all in a dither and I kept wording things all wrong. Oh it was all so wrong and . . .

I just do not know what is going on with me lately.

But this one. This morning. Well, it was all that Graciegirl's fault. She is here in this city. She knows I like to garden. She is a clever woman. I can tell. She put two and two together and then she came right in here and said, "Denny Mac." And I was toast.

But back to my hibiscus -- I will be leaving town soon for a few days, and I almost have myself talked out of taking the laptop with me. (I think we all know why. Did you see that number of posts? And I keep telling you all that I really have a life. But I do not think anyone believes me.)

Well, anyway, I don't think I am going to take the laptop. But I was just wondering if you gardeners think that maybe I should take the hibiscus. She is doing so well lately, and I really should keep a close eye on her.

And, about this morning. :redface:

I am leaving for the evening now, but if Graciegirl, that other Cincinnati girl, is here, please keep a close eye on her.

Vas you ever in Zinzinnati?

Boomer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.