Hibiscus recovery from freeze

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
Sage

Default Hibiscus recovery from freeze

In the one major freeze we had this winter, our 3 hibiscus bushes took a real hit...all the leaves fell off. After it got warmer, we pruned them back...the bushes now have lots of lush green leaves and new growth, but, no buds or blooms.

Is there anything we should be doing to stimulate blooms? Food, water, trimming????

Anyone else out there in TV land with damaged Hibiscus that has fully come back to life?

Re: Hibiscus recovery from freeze
Old 05-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Default Re: Hibiscus recovery from freeze

I have several hibiscus. The freeze this year didn't damage mine, (I put blankies on them) but the previous 2 "winters" did. You did the right thing, by cutting them back. Don't worry, the blooms will appear, just takes a bit longer. Feeding may help, also. I use a time release fertilizer for flowering shrubs once a year.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Sage

You handled your Hibiscus like I do any shocked plant. Sometimes it is freezing and last year the drought was cruel to a Japanese maple. It will come back and bloom I am sure. My little tree this year has never looked prettier, but it has been cool and rainy, just what it likes.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
Platinum member

07:

Same story here, although mine have a few buds today. The greenery is lush, which makes me much less sorry-for-myself that I didn't cover them last winter!

Even after most of four winters here, I still chuckle when the Orlando tv weather guys yell and scream about covering your plants, even when they're only predicting 28-29 degrees. Below zero, yes, but barely below freezing? Nah!

SWR
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Gold member

07:

I have experienced that problem in the past growing hybiscus indoors in New England. They would bloom till Christmas, then begin to look very grim. Granted not from frost damage just exhaustion.I would cut them back severely and water them faithfully. Around the end of March they recovered and greened out ,as yours are now. At that point I would feed them with a bloom enhancing fertilizer. I was always rewarded with beautiful blooms for the remainder of the year. I think that will work for you.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Sage

Beady is correct. Go buy some "Bloom Burst". They like it!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Sage

Default Five Different Varieties...Five Different Results

We have five different varieties of hibiscus at our house. One variety, Snow Queen, didn't make it thru the slight freeze last winter and had to be replaced. The replacement plants have nice foliage, but no buds or flowers. On the other end of the spectrum, our "white with dark maroon centers" plants that we bought at Porter's are thriving. Today both of those plants have about two dozen beautiful flowers each and plenty more buds. Our yellow plants looked pretty sick after last winter's nip, but while they haven't recovered to anywhere near the size of the white ones, they are also blooming. Another variety, with green, red and pink varigated foliage look healthy, but no flowers. Two of our three pink tree hibiscus are doing fine and are just ready to burst forth with flowers. The third one will need to be replaced. I use a "rooting and blooming" fertilizer, about 10-60-10 as I recall, applying it with a watering can every couple of weeks.

Why can't nature be precisely predictable? It would make old engineers like me a lot happier.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

My hibiscus didn't appear to have made it (was a youngun)...looked deader than a doornail. Not there to nurse it back to health and not liking what I saw, I replaced it last April. Hopefully upon my return next month, the new plant will be thriving...at least I hope so.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:17 PM

I planted my hibiscus up near the house (block and stucco) in kind of a protected area on the southwest side. During freeze warnings, I put an old sheet over it, and never had a freeze problem. Its really beautiful by our entryway. If you have a bunch of them, I'm sure it would be too much work to cover, but we didn't mind covering the one plant.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Sage

since I started this thread...a postscript:

I'm sitting here in my office looking out the window a tall, thriving, blooming hibiscus plants. I can see at least 12-15 blooms on the 3 plants. They were a little slower to bloom than other neighbors' whose hibisci were not frost damaged. But they have fully recovered. Gotta love this Florida climate!!!