Hiding those green monsters

Closed Thread
Old 10-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
I think alot depends on the location of the box on the property.

Our home backs up to Villas, so we have a wall behind us. There is a box about three feet onto my next door neighbor's lot. Our solution was to have corner bed on that side. We planted pudocarpus to line the lot on the corner. Each side about 10 feet long. It is a great hedge, keep trimming it back and it really fills out. We plant color in front of the hedge annually

I was going to use bottle brush but I was told that it is hard to keep thick (lots foliage) at the bottom (do not take this as fact). Sadly my personal issues have delayed my trip south or I would send a nice picture. All I have are these two, the first shows the box, the second the hedge. The second picture is when it was cold and all way gray. The hedge has really filled in since that picture. Identities in the photo have been hidden.
LOL....I like the hidden identity feature.... LOLOL.

We have a rather large green box out back and it sits in an area where three yards come together. All owners have planted bottle brush around the box, along with some other hedging green bush and it does a good job of "concealing" the box from view. Every now and then, we go out and trim branches around the box making it more visible, but it's still sort of invisible if you get my drift....the green hedges sort of minimize its visibility.

Just be careful when you're planting around the area...cable wires aren't deep in the ground and cutting your cable line is very easy....ask us, it's been cut about three times already...

As lovely as Mexican petunias are, they're not a choice I'd make. The things spread like wildfire and total removal can take years. They spread via runners and manage to keep popping up for a very long time after the main plants have been removed.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Be aware too as you plant items that there will be a retriction on how close you plant these as the people who work for the utilities will need to have access and may require you to move them at some point. Our neighbor has pampas grass planted next to their green box and it camafloges quite nicely but grows like crazy and needs to be hacked off from time to time!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 AM

If you like the tall purple flowering Mexican petunia, there is a variety that is sterile - Purple Showers. It's sold by Home Depot. I've had a clump along one side of my house for two years and have never found a seedling.

It does try to expand by sending up stalks from the roots but these are easily removed with a hand trowel when they first appear.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Careful digging

Be careful digging too close to Transformers ( the bigger square boxes). The wires are supposed to be 30" in the gound but can be less as it gets to the box. The voltage is 240 - 12,000 volts.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
Be careful digging too close to Transformers ( the bigger square boxes). The wires are supposed to be 30" in the gound but can be less as it gets to the box. The voltage is 240 - 12,000 volts.
Should be in conduit though.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 10-23-2011, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Direct Bury

Most utilities stop using conduit years ago where there is "dirt" above. They still use it under roads. I was looking at new construction in Sanibel and the cable contractor dug into a direct buried 7,200 volt line. It is rare to see the secondary voltage 120/240V in conduit other than the short run from the meter box to about 24" in the dirt. Talk to a SECO serviceman last year and told me they sometimes make "service taps" in the dirt to save the cost of a pedistal. We would never do that up north, but it snows up there. Conduit cost more money.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:22 AM

What if the box is closer than 10 feet from your house.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.