Homemade Weed Killer That Works!

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2018, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Nine newish folks. All this morning. Sakes alive!

Sit down new people. Would you like coffee? Decaf, right?
Old 06-11-2018, 10:40 AM
Default If you like this sort of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglow View Post
Someone in my neighborhood posted a message about a homemade recipe that kills weeds effectively. I can't wait to try it and I wanted to share it with everyone here in TV. I hate using chemicals like Roundup and I hear this actually works. Just make sure you use Epson Salt and not table salt as the table salt will not allow any future plants to grow in that space.

Here is the recipe:

1 Gallon Vinegar (white vinegar)
2 Cups Epson Salt
1/4 cup of Dawn Dish Soap( the Blue Original)

"Just mix and spray in the morning after the dew has evaporated. Check after dinner and assuming there is no rain, the weeds are either wilted or are gone.

Sure beats the price of Round Up. By the way, I pour the mixture into a spray bottle. It will not go bad so you can use it till the mixture is all gone."
You want to get books by Jerry Baker. Probably the best one for you is,"SUPERMARKET SUPER GARDENS."

As to price of Round Up or most other brand name products, like everything else the brand name advertised product will cost more often the same chemical can be bought for less under a generic name.

Your vinegar,epsom salt mix is a classic. Not sure others reading your post realize that it will also kill your lawn.

Sometimes the best solution for killing weeds is just to pull them out. You do not want to do this with nut sege as it has small bulb-lets attached to the roots.you pull the plant you out and you will get more from the already there bulbs.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:56 AM
Default I too like abnormal solutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunglow View Post
Someone in my neighborhood posted a message about a homemade recipe that kills weeds effectively. I can't wait to try it and I wanted to share it with everyone here in TV. I hate using chemicals like Roundup and I hear this actually works. Just make sure you use Epson Salt and not table salt as the table salt will not allow any future plants to grow in that space.

Here is the recipe:

1 Gallon Vinegar (white vinegar)
2 Cups Epson Salt
1/4 cup of Dawn Dish Soap( the Blue Original)

"Just mix and spray in the morning after the dew has evaporated. Check after dinner and assuming there is no rain, the weeds are either wilted or are gone.

Sure beats the price of Round Up. By the way, I pour the mixture into a spray bottle. It will not go bad so you can use it till the mixture is all gone."
i try to spot treat weeds. Many of the common weed killers such as 24D damage your grass-more so if you have St Augustine. A trigger pump bottle from like windex or whatever works fine and it is free. For bigger areas, a paint roller. preferably a long nap one, works fine.

For weeds in your beds, the best tool is to take one of those four tooth long handled cultivators-cost about $2.00 at flea markets or garage sales. You cut off the two outside teeth so now you have only two teeth. You shorten the two teeth from the original six inches to about two inches. It is the perfect tool for pulling out weeds along with the roots from your beds. Only works if you do not have landscape fabric with gravel over it.
Closed Thread

Tags
salt, epson, table, weeds, mixture

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.