How to cut Zoysia grass

Closed Thread
Old 03-14-2018, 11:55 AM
Exclamation How to cut Zoysia grass

Zoysia grass is being cut wrong throughout The Villages.

Zoysia lawns typically need 1 inch of rainfall or irrigation per week. Deep, infrequent watering encourages deep, drought-resistant roots. The Villages Sandy soils need more frequent watering to retain color during summer heat and stress.

Mow your slow-growing Zoysia lawn as needed to maintain a recommended height of 1 to 1 1/2 inches. We have our Zoysia cut at 2” because the lawn was not put down correctly then rolled to make it level.

What I have observed with lawn companies that they start cutting Zoysia around 3” in the spring but throughout the summer they increase the height to 5 to 6 inches. They mostly do this so it is easier to cut. This is NOT GOOD for your Zoysia.

Web search Zoysia and you will see that it should be cut short!

Hope this helps!
Old 03-14-2018, 02:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

If you have a grass service that is cutting Zoysia at 5-6 inches or more...time for a change!
Old 03-14-2018, 03:54 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

i wish I knew what type of grass my lawn has.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:16 PM

You either have Zoysia or St Augustine. Generally South of 466A is Zoysia. Understand Fenney has gone back to St Augustine but not certain of that.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage

If it feels like grass its Zoysia, if it feels like thorns its St Augustine--you can walk barefoot on Zoysia
Old 03-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Default It is easy to tell st augustine from empire zoysia

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
i wish I knew what type of grass my lawn has.
TRYING TO AVOID THE TYPICAL MY GRASS CAN TAKE YOUR GRASS.

St Augustine is a courser grass-wider leaves.
The Zoysia is a finer grass-more like northern grasses-ketucky.

As to care or either-ask 3 villigers and you will get at least 6 or 7 different opinions. I would suggest you do research on the internet. Stuff put out by the cooperative extension is good as they are not selling anything.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:48 PM
Default Re: Zoyzia cutting height

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbcox View Post
Zoysia grass is being cut wrong throughout The Villages.

Zoysia lawns typically need 1 inch of rainfall or irrigation per week. Deep, infrequent watering encourages deep, drought-resistant roots. The Villages Sandy soils need more frequent watering to retain color during summer heat and stress.

Mow your slow-growing Zoysia lawn as needed to maintain a recommended height of 1 to 1 1/2 inches. We have our Zoysia cut at 2” because the lawn was not put down correctly then rolled to make it level.

What I have observed with lawn companies that they start cutting Zoysia around 3” in the spring but throughout the summer they increase the height to 5 to 6 inches. They mostly do this so it is easier to cut. This is NOT GOOD for your Zoysia.

Web search Zoysia and you will see that it should be cut short!

Hope this helps!
My reading says 2-3 inches. I suppose you could cut it at 1-1.5 but the people who cut lawns around here all use rotary type mowers. Were they to set the blades at 1-1.5 inches they will SCALP the lawn and damage all the plastic electric and/or plumbing boxes we have all over the place.

The important guidance is not to remove more than one third of the plant leaf at any mowing. There are times when your lawn should be moved twice a week and other itmes that once every two to three weeks is all that is necessary. If, the person mowing your lawn only comes once a week, to prevent removing more than 1/3 of the leaf they may need to allow the grass to grow higher than 2 inches.

I'VE CHECKED. NOT ONE OF MY PLANTS CAN READ.

Re: your stated mention that it should have been rolled.
Yup another debate. The reson to roll a sod lawn after the sod is laid is to get better contact between the soil and the sod-not to level the ground. Like most things some say to do it and some say don't. If, you have issues where
you see low sections, you can easily bring them up by applying soil on top of the sod in the low spots. You want to apply about 1/4 inch of soil to each low spot every week or two till it is leven with the rest of your lawn. You may choose to apply a product such as PREEN to prevent weeds from getting started in the spots to which you are applying soil. A 2x4, a yard stick, might help you to more easily see dips and to know when you have filled them.
Closed Thread

Tags
zoysia, cut, lawn, watering, summer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.