How do you take care of your palm tree?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:07 AM
Default How do you take care of your palm tree?

Hi! I have planted a Pindo Palm tree in my backyard. Since I'm not a pro grower, I want to get to know some tricks & tips about growing palm trees. Please, feel free to drop some lines in this thread. Especially interested in fertilizers for palm trees. I found an interesting article about fertilizers while surfing, so currently choosing out of these options. What fertilizers fit better for my case and what should I put my attention on while choosing?

Last edited by GwenR; 07-08-2020 at 11:04 PM.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:14 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,755 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenR View Post
Hi! I have planted a Pindo Palm tree in my backyard. Since I'm not a pro grower, I want to get to know some tricks & tips about growing palm trees. Please, feel free to drop some lines in this thread. Especially interested in fertilizers for palm trees. What fertilizers fit better for my case and what should I put my attention on while choosing?

The garden shop at Lowes was very helpful and informative. I never fertilized my palms (palms survive "in the wild", without but), now it give them a kicker every year.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:15 AM
Sage

Jim Davis of the ag extension service has given lectures in the past at the rec centers on the care and feeding of palms. With the COVID-19 situation, I doubt there will be an opportunity to see him in the near future but you might want to look out for his lectures if they return in the more distant future. One recommendation he did make was to use Lesco 8-2-12-4 fertilizer. I use that on my Sylvester Palms, not sure if it is appropriate for Pindos. It is most easily obtained from fertilzerdirect.com. If you have a specific issue I believe you can e-mail Jim. I don't recall his e-mail address but you should be able to find it via Google.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwenR View Post
Hi! I have planted a Pindo Palm tree in my backyard. Since I'm not a pro grower, I want to get to know some tricks & tips about growing palm trees. Please, feel free to drop some lines in this thread. Especially interested in fertilizers for palm trees. What fertilizers fit better for my case and what should I put my attention on while choosing?

Old 05-29-2020, 07:35 AM

I punch in the palm tree fertilizer spikes twice a year. Seems to do the job.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Fertilizer Direct's website is actualy fertilizerdirectfl.com and they charge $60 for a 50 pound bag of Lesco. Home Depot had another brand with the same 4% magnesium priced at $44. I forget the brand name, it wasn't a common one. They have lots of Lesco fertilizers but not with the magnesium - make sure to look for that.
Most palm trees seem pretty hardy, and fertilizer spikes probably work well too.
I wouldn't worry too much about it, but a shot of fertilizer a couple/few times a year can't hurt. My landscape person suggested 2 cups spread around the dripline for a "medium" tree and 3 cups for a large palm (I've a large Sylvester).
You can also spread some Epsom salt around the tree for magesium, though it doesn't have the other plant food nutrients but it does green up a tree.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timinthevillages View Post
I punch in the palm tree fertilizer spikes twice a year. Seems to do the job.
The fertilizers in the spikes can only move out about twice the diameter of the spike. In essence, they are useless.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:21 PM
Veteran member

I fertilize all my palms with Lesco's 8-2-12 + 4. The "4 " is micro nutrients; manganese, boron and magnesium which is lacking in our soil. This fertilizer was formulated by Lesco and University of Florida for our soil in central Florida. I put in on, as recommended, in March, June and September. Stay two feet away from the trunk and apply in the drip line and beyond. I have discovered palm roots as far as 10 ft away from the palm so I apply that far out. I use this fertilizer on my shrubs and flowers as well. Oh, and the grass in the area that I fertilize with 8-2-12 is gorgeous.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:33 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I lost a small palm we had in the back yard. It turned brown and just died. It wasn't difficult to remove it somehow rotted out. When I was pulling it out in sections it smelled horrible and there were large beetles crawling around. I suspect they caused the demise.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Jim Davis of the ag extension service has given lectures in the past at the rec centers on the care and feeding of palms...
Information about Jim Davis is on the first link and the second link is his contact information. Take photos and send to him.

Jim Davis, Author at UF/IFAS Extension Sumter County

Who We Are - UF/IFAS Extension

Last year my six year old Sylvester Palm in the front yard was looking real bad. I even called one of the tree removal places to have it taken out, they came and looked and said they would get back to me, but never called. I'm glad, they didn't return. This is how the tree looks now a year later.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

This was the tree a year ago when I sent photos to Jim Davis, he replied to my email in two days. He said don't have it removed, it's normal growth. The top needed about 10' of trimming, when I had never had it trimmed and he said it needed fertilizing and watering.

The Villages Florida

I buy this inexpensive Palm Fertilizer at Walmart, it's about $8 in the garden shop and I put it down about 3 times a year, the first time in March or April. I have individual shrub sprinklers and now I have four aimed a the base of the palm. I also the the copper and white river rock refreshed with new rocks and fertilized all the shrubs including the palm with Milorganite, which is dried manure and does not burn or can be overdone. I usually pick up a bag at Walmart, got their last bag at the 466 store in March for $12. Lowes has a similar product under another name, it's also very cheap.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Tags
palm, fertilizers, trees, tree, case

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.