How to get rid of St. Augustine grass in a zoysia lawn

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2018, 05:59 PM
Default How to get rid of St. Augustine grass in a zoysia lawn

About half of my lawn has beautiful zoysia grass but the rest is St. Augustine grass. Any surefire ways to get rid of the St. Augustine? Thanks!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

River rock...or asphalt.

With all of the problems I've had finding a good lawn company, I've come to the conclusion...that xeriscaping is the way to go.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 07-02-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:32 PM
Default Patients

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannef View Post
About half of my lawn has beautiful zoysia grass but the rest is St. Augustine grass. Any surefire ways to get rid of the St. Augustine? Thanks!
We have both, originally St Augustine, but when I need new sod I get Zoysia. At first the St Augustine will start to invade the Zoysia, but the Zoysia wins in the end. Be patient.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:51 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.

Quote:

I sent you a PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 AM
Default How to get rid of st. Augustine in zoysia

Quote:
From your post it sounds like you have a lot of intrusion.

It is the result of your lawn,"care," people mowing without cleaning their equipment.

The empire zoysia-what you have in the villages cab take stronger solutions of weed killers than st Augustine. Also
the zoysia spreads by underground rizomes and the St Augustine by surface rizomes.

You can use all the above to beat back your St Augustime INVASION. Use a convex rake, sometimes called a puss pull rake to pull out the top rizomes from the st augustime grass. The on a day of about 80+, apply a double strength dose of 24d (broad-leaf weedkiller) done right, it will kill the st augustime not the zoysia.

Another common weedkiller that will KILL St Augustime but NOT zoysia is QUINCTORAC. You can buy this mailorder as
QUIN KILL MAX a pint is 38.29 and it covers 10,000 sq ft.
phome # 1 800 476-3368
Closed Thread

Tags
grass, augustine, zoysia, lawn, rid

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.