How will we know what's our landscape is made up of?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2015, 02:07 PM

We recently closed on a new home. On the morning of the closing, the builder spent almost three hours with us...reviewing everything about the home in detail. I asked him the names of some of the trees, and he was quick to tell us about them. Unfortunately, we have an oak on the front lawn...he advised us to get rid of it immediately. It seems the builders are required to plant an oak every three or four properties.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletLake View Post
We recently closed on a new home. On the morning of the closing, the builder spent almost three hours with us...reviewing everything about the home in detail. I asked him the names of some of the trees, and he was quick to tell us about them. Unfortunately, we have an oak on the front lawn...he advised us to get rid of it immediately. It seems the builders are required to plant an oak every three or four properties.

We had 2 oaks on our property and replaced them with assistance from our landscaper - and quickly as you reported. Once you get to a 4 inch diameter of the trunk it becomes problematic if you wish to change it out later.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Our walk thru is scheduled before closing on 9/11 and I've sent an email to our salesperson to see if/when I get to meet with the landscaper. The tree on our lawn looks to be an oak based on the pictures. Of course with the luck of the draw we're the first house to be built on our street and we got the oak. As much as I love oak trees here in MI (the back of our property is lined with very old pin oak) I'm not sure I'd want to keep it for our home in TV. Would I need to get approval from the architechural review or can I quickly switch it out if I can't get the builder/landscaper to agree to do it?
Old 08-30-2015, 09:02 PM

The builder is required by the County and State to plant a native tree at every property. Not sure how the get away with planting non-native crepe myrtles, hollies and cultivated species of magnolia.
The oaks and some of the hollies (East Palatka) are the only true native trees I see them plant for the new home packages. Would love to see some maples, dogwoods, viburnums, cedar or cypress planted.
The code was written for a reason, and it doesn't read "plant what ever tree you can buy cheap, and then an oak every couple lots".
Old 08-31-2015, 12:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if you took some photos of the plants of trees in question and posted them,,,,someone here will know what you have.

[nice landscaping GeeGee]
Hey, I would love to id them, what I do know, I have a ton of books from Master gardener class and also can ask them about what I may not succeed in Identifying.

Most new homes in my hood get:
Viburnum, 2 varieties
Indian hawthorne
Lorapetalum
Juniper
Possibly ilex,
holly tree and shrub
Boxwood
Podocarpus

But close ups and cuttings to a master gardener clinic will get you a team, that is even better, and more fun!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:02 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Call the Landscaper

Ours came out and ID'd ours and told us how to care for it.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default How will we know what's our landscape is made up of?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmi View Post
Does TV provide new owners with the names of the shrubs/trees/ground cover that they have planted around your home? Our home is being built and we've been provided pictures during the process. The landscaping is done and I've been trying to educate myself based on the pictures - which is not so easy for this northerner. Will we be provided with a list at closing or are we pretty much on our own? Our sales person is on vacation so couldn't ask him and figured this site would be a good place to ask. Sorry wasn't sure if this should have been posted in the newbie section or landscaping section. TIA

At closing you'll receive an inventory list. The plantings will indicate how many of each, either 5gal, 10gal, 20gal etc. but not the variety. Read this list VERY carefully. I challenged warranty on the actual sizes planted verses what was on my inventory list. Two weeks later all my plantings were replaced with what I paid for ( which are now substantially larger then the original plantings) I only had to write them once and they made good on it. Unfortunately many of my neighbors simply tore out the builders crap and planted their own, at their own expense. Check the inventory list very very carefully. Make sure you get what you paid for. This also applies to everything your house consists of, fixtures, cabinetry etc.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
At closing you'll receive an inventory list. The plantings will indicate how many of each, either 5gal, 10gal, 20gal etc. but not the variety. Read this list VERY carefully. I challenged warranty on the actual sizes planted verses what was on my inventory list. Two weeks later all my plantings were replaced with what I paid for ( which are now substantially larger then the original plantings) I only had to write them once and they made good on it. Unfortunately many of my neighbors simply tore out the builders crap and planted their own, at their own expense. Check the inventory list very very carefully. Make sure you get what you paid for. This also applies to everything your house consists of, fixtures, cabinetry etc.

If you wait about six months to a year, you will have much larger plants. The heat and moisture here grow things fast.

I don't understand why you would challenge fixtures, cabinetry, etc. I can't think of ever reading that anyone had been duped.

We have built many new homes in our lifetime. Although this one is not the largest, or the nicest, it was very carefully built and any problem was quickly solved. We are completely satisfied.

No. I don't work for the Morses, but most people here will agree with me. There is nothing wrong with the building and no plot to hoodwink anyone.
Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Call home warranty, they should be able to give you the name of the contractor that did the landscaping, and a call to them should get the info you want.
The Home Warranty Department is an amazing source of information.
They were able to tell us the original type and color of paint used on our CYV five years after it was built.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Every new home in my neighborhoods gets a magnolia tree and some get two. many are planted in the most absurd places. it looks like they just have to get rid of them for some reason.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:56 PM
Gold member

I too wondered about the many planting around my new home. I don't know why a list is not left with the new homeowner lising what was planted. I know you can go to the master Gardner and find out ( bringing photos) but it would be a lot easier With a list.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Default Pictures

Here's some pictures of the front.

I think that the small ones in the front are Hawthorn and the grasses by the front door are either Loriope or Mondo grass. But I can't tell what is in the very corner of our house. And I'm worried what the varigated one in the middle is because it may be an agressive spreader type.

I only have a video that includes the tree in the middle of our lawn and I don't know how to cut a picture out of a video. The tree is either a Palatka Holly or an Oak. I'm hoping for it to be a holly or its coming out. If I can figure out how to get a picture out of the video I'll post it.

Any help with identifying some of these would be great! TIA
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	54534   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	front view.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	54535  
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 AM
Sage

Kazmi, when I enlarge for a closer view, the pic blurs. Need a close up of leaves...
Please.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

all I can tell you is that varigated thingie will not spread. I have several out front. I really don't care for them, but they are easy and certainly not ugly. I let mine have just several tall shoots and cut the rest back. I kinda like it like that.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
Sage

What village and street are u on?
Closed Thread

Tags
provided, home, pictures, landscaping, section, closing, pretty, list, northerner, tia, newbie, place, figured, site, vacation, good, sales, person, educate, names, owners, shrubs/trees/ground, cover, provide, landscape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.