How will we know what's our landscape is made up of?

Closed Thread
Old 09-01-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Kazmi, when I enlarge for a closer view, the pic blurs. Need a close up of leaves...
Please.
Quote:
What village and street are u on?
Our home is in Labelle North on Nutmeg Ct. Our house is the first one built so we have no neighbors yet to ask them for help like taking closeup pictures. The only pictures I have came from our sales person as a courtesy to keep us posted on the progress.

Without closeups I guess I have to be patient and wait to determine what we have at closing. Which is next week YEAH!!! We are so darn excited!!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Sage

I know how you feel! I was here for months in a desert of empty lots!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I know how you feel! I was here for months in a desert of empty lots!
LOL the last pictures we received showed almost every house on our street is in some stage of construction. At least they get them put up fast so I guess that's better than empty lots and then dealing with the construction. I bet it was NOT fun!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Sage

Watch for nails in the street!
I think the plant by the lamp post is variegated ligustrum. Will try to drive by soon...
Old 09-01-2015, 10:47 PM

Hi Gracie.
Can you tell me who you use to lay down the mulch and is it pine straw or oak straw?
Many thanks.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Watch for nails in the street!
I think the plant by the lamp post is variegated ligustrum. Will try to drive by soon...
Varigated ligustrum is what I came up with on my search. I found no sites that complimented the shrub other than whoever was selling it (Monovia, etc) LOL I probably will move it to the back and put something else there.

I can only imagine how many nails are around these work sites!! hope none end up in my tires That would be so nice of you if you find the time to drive by! If you can't do not even worry about it.

We got our final pictures from our sales person and this shows the tree we got. Can you tell by this picture what type it is? I've been trying to figure it out based on the shape of the tree and what little I could see of the leaves.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	555.2 KB
ID:	54584   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	54585  
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Sage

I came by your home and unfortunately did not catch you there, but I did look at your shrubs and trees. In the yard you have a Palatka holly. That is native to Florida. Beside the house you have what I think is an American holly. Your Palatka holly already has berries, and the American will only have berries if it is a female and there is a Male nearby. By the lamp post, I still think that is a variegated ligustrum. In front of it is dwarf Youpon Holly (ilex family). It looks best when cut roundy in its natural shape so don't let lawn people flatten the top of it.

Toward the house from the lamppost, you have a few Nandina. Nandiina is an invasive in Florida and produces red berries, which naturalists would like you to cut off so they are not propagated in the woods by birds. There is a sterile variety But I doubt the villages is using it. Grass near the door with the purple blooms is liriope.

Under what I assume is the bedroom windows, you have the lovely Burford Holly. Lucky you these also have bright red berries and are beautiful with their glossy Deepgreen leaves. The shoots from them, at present, need to be cut back to make for denser growth.
on the garage side of the house you have viburnum, and the same plant is used it at the rear for the hedge.

I took a panorama of the construction around your house and if it turned out OK I'll post it later. It's crazy no wonder you are not at home !

Editing post: I left out two of your plants. one is on the far right facing the home striped green and white.. that's a flax Lily..should be good for a few years ..when it starts getting crowded you need to thin it out. No blooms to speak of. The other is the Indian Hawthorne which I think you've already spotted and that needs to be cut in round shape in order to maintain its most natural beautiful configuration .

Last edited by kittygilchrist; 09-02-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:52 PM
Sage

Panorama
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	854.8 KB
ID:	54594  
Old 09-02-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I came by your home and unfortunately did not catch you there, but I did look at your shrubs and trees. In the yard you have a Palatka holly. That is native to Florida. Beside the house you have what I think is an American holly. Your Palatka holly already has berries, and the American will only have berries if it is a female and there is a Male nearby. By the lamp post, I still think that is a variegated ligustrum. In front of it is dwarf Youpon Holly (ilex family). It looks best when cut roundy in its natural shape so don't let lawn people flatten the top of it.

Toward the house from the lamppost, you have a few Nandina. Nandiina is an invasive in Florida and produces red berries, which naturalists would like you to cut off so they are not propagated in the woods by birds. There is a sterile variety But I doubt the villages is using it. Grass near the door with the purple blooms is liriope.

Under what I assume is the bedroom windows, you have the lovely Burford Holly. Lucky you these also have bright red berries and are beautiful with their glossy Deepgreen leaves. The shoots from them, at present, need to be cut back to make for denser growth.
on the garage side of the house you have viburnum, and the same plant is used it at the rear for the hedge.

I took a panorama of the construction around your house and if it turned out OK I'll post it later. It's crazy no wonder you are not at home !

Editing post: I left out two of your plants. one is on the far right facing the home striped green and white.. that's a flax Lily..should be good for a few years ..when it starts getting crowded you need to thin it out. No blooms to speak of. The other is the Indian Hawthorne which I think you've already spotted and that needs to be cut in round shape in order to maintain its most natural beautiful configuration .
LOL about the construction! Someone we met from Dunedin area did a video for us last week and YIKES!! Thank you so much for going by! We will not be there until 9/11 on our closing date so that's why we didn't run into you. We'll get a taste for the craziness of construction then LOL I'd love to see the video. That is so considerate of you to do this!!!

Is the Nandina the ones with the feathery tops? I'll have to ask what variety because that will tell me what size they will get to. I never would have guessed what those are because they look so much like Astilbe.

So the tree that is the middle of our front yard is the Palatka Holly? I suspected that based on the video and felt a little more sure with the pictures we got today. I was a little worried that it was a Live Oak but didn't think TV would try to cram such a large tree into such a tiny lot.

I can see I'm going to have to do some thinning out with the size that the shrubs are going to grow into. Is this typical of TV to put down so many shrubs with each new house? Again thanks so much and sorry I couldn't be there when you stopped by today. Would have liked to have met you.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage

I can only load one pic at a time.Var. Ligustrum
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	136
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	54595  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage

Indian Hawthorne
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	111
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	54596  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:03 PM
Sage

Nandina
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	54597  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Sage

Dwarf Ilex, aka youpon holly
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	106
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	54598  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Sage

Flax Lily
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	105
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	54599  
Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Sage

Burford Holly
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	88
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	54600  
Closed Thread

Tags
provided, home, pictures, landscaping, section, closing, pretty, list, northerner, tia, newbie, place, figured, site, vacation, good, sales, person, educate, names, owners, shrubs/trees/ground, cover, provide, landscape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.