Ideas and place to buy perennials

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Ideas and place to buy perennials

Looking for a reasonable place to buy healthy perennials to plant (by myself) and ideas as to what looks both beautiful and grows well here in The Villages. I have six foot green plants as a backdrop and about a 20' X 3' space to work with.

Also, is there a garden club in the south end?
Old 04-20-2016, 04:03 PM
Default Green's Nursery

We are also adding new beds to our yard and have been searching out the good places. Fairfield has nice plants, but is very rigid on business practices. We were there this past weekend for the sale, only to find that we needed a coupon, and it would not apply to plants we bought just 2 days before. Goneys usually is quite nice, but seems to be suffering from wind and lack of watering. There is Struthers in Tavares, which is a huge grower, has excellent advice and beautiful plants, but pretty standard stuff. Green's at 5844 Round Lake Rd. in Zellwood, about 1 hr away, though a bit untidy, had lots of really unique plants grown locally, plenty of helpful advice and excellent prices. We'll be back there soon for more. Greens and Struthers was a great time. Hope that helps.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:55 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegamyheart View Post
We are also adding new beds to our yard and have been searching out the good places. Fairfield has nice plants, but is very rigid on business practices. We were there this past weekend for the sale, only to find that we needed a coupon, and it would not apply to plants we bought just 2 days before. Goneys usually is quite nice, but seems to be suffering from wind and lack of watering. There is Struthers in Tavares, which is a huge grower, has excellent advice and beautiful plants, but pretty standard stuff. Green's at 5844 Round Lake Rd. in Zellwood, about 1 hr away, though a bit untidy, had lots of really unique plants grown locally, plenty of helpful advice and excellent prices. We'll be back there soon for more. Greens and Struthers was a great time. Hope that helps.
Thanks. Green's sounds interesting and I don't mind a little drive. There's a place in Clermont too, Majestic I think, great prices but mainly trees.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Might be surprised what you'll find at the Market of Marion.
I've seen herbs and some vegetable plants in the produce aisle. Is there another aisle at the Market that would have plants? I'm surprised that we don't have garden centers with more choices here.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Default Plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Might be surprised what you'll find at the Market of Marion.
I forget the man's name but his stand is outside near the southwest corner of the market.His stand is between the last two buildings on the southside.
Local plants and a fair price and he knows his plants.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMEZARIC3 View Post
I forget the man's name but his stand is outside near the southwest corner of the market.His stand is between the last two buildings on the southside.
Local plants and a fair price and he knows his plants.
Thanks for this response. Will follow up.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:10 AM
Veteran member

There used to be a wonderful lady with gorgeous plants at the south end of the last aisle but she closed up shop. If she opens again someplace it would be a welcome addition to the area. Her son often would plant larger items for you at reasonable prices. If anyone has any information about where she might now be, kindly post.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:50 PM

Another nearby nursery to check is KB on CR 462. From the south travel west on 466a to right onto CR 462 (it's what Powell Road becomes when Powell crosses 466a). KB will be on the right after you cross the railroad tracks. From the north, travel south on 301 and take a left at the light onto 462.

Also don't dismiss the big box stores. I've found some goodies there too. Whip out your cell and check out a plant's requirements if you don't know. Don't always depend on the tag. "Full sun" in most of the country is a whole lot different from Florida full sun. And...no matter how informed you are on a particular plant, it may still be a total flop - or a prize winner - despite the requirements on the tag versus the conditions in your garden. If you're drawn to a particular plant but not sure it will work for you, buy one as a trial. I've shovel pruned my share, but have found winners along the way too.

Last edited by juneroses; 04-21-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:22 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
Another nearby nursery to check is KB on CR 462. From the south travel west on 466a to right onto CR 462 (it's what Powell Road becomes when Powell crosses 466a). KB will be on the right after you cross the railroad tracks. From the north, travel south on 301 and take a left at the light onto 462.

Also don't dismiss the big box stores. I've found some goodies there too. Whip out your cell and check out a plant's requirements if you don't know. Don't always depend on the tag. "Full sun" in most of the country is a whole lot different from Florida full sun. And...no matter how informed you are on a particular plant, it may still be a total flop - or a prize winner - despite the requirements on the tag versus the conditions in your garden. If you're drawn to a particular plant but not sure it will work for you, buy one as a trial. I've shovel pruned my share, but have found winners along the way too.
I second both your motions, juneroses. I have had very good luck with plants from KB. About a month ago, I bought 5 purple trailing lantana at KB and they are thrivng. (In fact, I am thinking they might be so happy in their spot that they will need frequent pruning.) At the beginning of spring, I bought a nice pot of 3 mixed annuals, so much easier than making my own. There is a woman who works at KB who is really helpful.

And re. those big box stores, Lowe's was great this spring. There is a helpful woman there, too. I think she might be the manager of that department. They were taking good care of their inventory, actually watering. -- something that often can be neglected in big box stores.

Lately, I have been way into hibiscus. I like to prune and that's OK with hibiscus. I have some that have been in for a while. I hand-prune them in a kind of free-spirit, random fashion so they look sort of like bouquets and give me more bloom. I do not like to see hibiscus with crew-cuts -- probably given to them by crews.

I found some very nice yellow hibiscus at Lowe's earlier in the spring. They are doing great. I have not pruned them yet because they are new........Well.....maybe just a little bit......

Boomer Felco

Last edited by Boomer; 04-24-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 AM
Platinum member

you might consider joining the Native Plant Society that meets at Big Cypress on I believe the 4th Friday of the month?
Old 05-09-2016, 09:21 AM
Gold member
Default re:plants

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post

RANDOM THOUGHTS
The common plants. If, you are looking for unusual varieties they are easy to find on the internet from a mail order seller. The plants will often be bare root to save on shipping. IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER-if a plant is rare the reason is often that it is a new hybrid or difficult to grow-slow-not easily divided ETC-That reads as EXPENSIVE.

Might be interesting to post a PLANT EXCHANGE. I'm looking for RED compact daylilys and could trade large flowered compact yellow ones. I also have named variety-I'd have to look it up purple Louisiana Iris-do great in your wet spots. Also have canna lilys to trade
Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Gold member

We just got back from KB. I found and purchased the red daylilys that I drove to all the box stores looking for. The plants were far more developed than what I saw in the box stores. The price was the same AND THE PEOPLE WERE A PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH.
HINT-SPARR building and farm supply has some useful items, They are cheaper on BLACK KOW than the box stores. They are far cheaper on large bags of perlite and or vermiculite. They have sulfur in 20 pound bags for like $12. Store is on CR44 just across from Brownwood
Old 05-09-2016, 05:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
We just got back from KB. I found and purchased the red daylilys that I drove to all the box stores looking for. The plants were far more developed than what I saw in the box stores. The price was the same AND THE PEOPLE WERE A PLEASURE TO DO BUSINESS WITH.
HINT-SPARR building and farm supply has some useful items, They are cheaper on BLACK KOW than the box stores. They are far cheaper on large bags of perlite and or vermiculite. They have sulfur in 20 pound bags for like $12. Store is on CR44 just across from Brownwood
I brought dayliliys from Ohio and they did not thrive. I'm wondering if the ones you buy down here are more southern friendly?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:20 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Daylily care

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo View Post
I brought dayliliys from Ohio and they did not thrive. I'm wondering if the ones you buy down here are more southern friendly?
I too am an ex northerner. Daylilys are tough as nails. Why the ones you brought with you from Ohio did not survive I have no way to guess. Left baking in a car? Froze in your airplane luggage. Etc. The soil is sandy clay. You want to mix in 1/3 to 1/2 organic matter-manure and or compost. Plus, 1/3 perlite. You want to stir it in about 18 inches deep.
You can get away with a lot but if you are going to transplant them now, I would cut the leaves off by about 1/3 and cut off any flower buds.
If, you get named varieties you can look up the climate zones.
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, perennials, buy, place, green, plants, space, backdrop, work, club, south, end, garden, foot, plant, healthy, reasonable, villages, beautiful, grows

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.